TSN: Betting site says Leafs' Carlyle is most likely to be first coach fired

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What does Randy have to do to save his job?

So we all assume Randy is going to get fired but what does he have to do to save his job? Does it matter what he does? Or could he literally win the cup and still get fired if Babcock is on the market?

P0LiUM

Apr 16, 2012
Halifax
We can trash Randy all day long, but the guy just got extended. Until the Leafs start struggling in the regular season, he isn't at risk of losing it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We can trash Randy all day long, but the guy just got extended. Until the Leafs start struggling in the regular season, he isn't at risk of losing it.

He got 1 year with a team option his job is absolutely at risk

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Randy will be here until the end of the year, for bettter or worse. And then comes Babcock.

No sense firing him early when his replacement is already a foregone conclusion.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Randy will be here until the end of the year, for bettter or worse. And then comes Babcock.

No sense firing him early when his replacement is already a foregone conclusion.

Foregone conclusion? - Come on guys there is still a year left and things can change in no time

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I think you missed the point I didn't mean will he get fired this year I meant how far does this team have to go for Shanny to not bring in Babcock

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Win a round in the playoffs and pray Mike Babcock doesn't express interest in coming to Toronto.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
What if in the first 40 or so games the Leafs are the same as last year? Meaning, they are winning, sit in a playoff spot but the team is still being outshot, hemmed in their own zone, poor defense, not playing the style of play the coach is preaching and its clear that they are winning because of stellar play by Bernier / Reimer?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Change his whole philosophy and strategies basically

Has been a terrible coach for years now

And in now way is Babcock a sure thing here

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What if in the first 40 or so games the Leafs are the same as last year? Meaning, they are winning, sit in a playoff spot but the team is still being outshot, hemmed in their own zone, poor defense, not playing the style of play the coach is preaching and its clear that they are winning because of stellar play by Bernier / Reimer?

That's the thing winning is what matters and before Bernier got hurt that's what they were doing If Randy makes the 2nd round and he could because the east is **** I am worried that would be enough and I REALLY want Babcock

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Make the playoffs and/or stay in a playoff position. I think he's gone as soon as we start slipping out of a playoff spot.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
If he gets them playing hard like 2012, and they get to the playoffs, then I think he's bought himself a year.

If they keep playing like last year - lifeless and disorganised, then I think he's gone by Christmas.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he gets them playing hard like 2012, and they get to the playoffs, then I think he's bought himself a year.

If they keep playing like last year - lifeless and disorganised, then I think he's gone by Christmas.

What if they keep playing like last year but win? Like they did for 90% of last year

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Winning obviously would go a long way. But just winning isn't enough, as we saw last year for most of the season.

His system has to be adjusted in a way that we don't completely rely on a few select to keep us in games we don't have any business being in. Being outplayed in almost every game is completely unacceptable. As a coach, one of his main tasks is to get his team ready for a game and far too many times last season the team was just dazed and confused and couldn't wake up for large stretches of play.

He also needs to be able to adapt with the times and change his philosophy in terms of how he works his lineup.

With that said, to keep his job, he'll need to make the playoffs.

Last edited:

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I think if he makes the playoffs and the team plays like it did the shortened season(with a bit better defense but as much compete, heart) that should be enough but he still probably is being held responsible for how Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly play. If they can do really well and we make the playoffs I don't think you can fire him after that unless we get Babcock. If we are getting Babcock, he is doomed.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
That's the thing winning is what matters and before Bernier got hurt that's what they were doing If Randy makes the 2nd round and he could because the east is **** I am worried that would be enough and I REALLY want Babcock

So let me get this straight. Before the season has even started, you hope the team doesn't win, and then should they make the playoffs that they don't win a round, just so you can think the coach might probably maybe be fired?

My god...

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
He can't. Once more into the breach Leaf fans. Never again with this bunch. They already quit last year. This core can't win and RC has no answers.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So let me get this straight. Before the season has even started, you hope the team doesn't win, and then should they make the playoffs that they don't win a round, just so you can think the coach might probably maybe be fired?

My god...

No actually you don't quite get it I would love to see them win but not under Randy he could go as far as he wants but if Babcock is on the market he better be brought in no matter what Randy does.sacrifice short term success for long term success

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He can't. Once more into the breach Leaf fans. Never again with this bunch. They already quit last year. This core can't win and RC has no answers.

I half agree I don't think Randy can win but this core under a different coach? They can with a couple additions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad