TSN: Betting site says Leafs' Carlyle is most likely to be first coach fired

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I half agree I don't think Randy can win but this core under a different coach? They can with a couple additions

A stronger coach won't help.

"When the officers are too strong and the common soldiers too weak, the result is COLLAPSE"

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
If Randy can get these boys back into the playoffs without another collapse I expect he will keep his job. His team will need to be competitive each night and not sit back for long stretches during almost every game as was their habit last season. Some success in the playoffs could not hurt Randy's chances.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nope the Chinese have a prediction for that too. The result for that is insubordination.

I don't know I just think a team wit guys like Kessel, JVR, Lupul, Rielly, Gardiner, Phaneuf, and Bernier on it should have done better than they did espically since they were in the playoffs for 90% of the year but they didn't make it why? Well Bernier got hurt that didn't help but Reimer has shown to be a good goalie at points in his career. When it became clear Reimer didn't have it for whatever reason Randy didn't adjust.

I think we are at the point that Randy has to take the blame because this team does have some talent it's not like he is coaching Buffalo

MajorityRules*

No actually you don't quite get it I would love to see them win but not under Randy he could go as far as he wants but if Babcock is on the market he better be brought in no matter what Randy does.sacrifice short term success for long term success

So if the Leafs made the Stanley Cup finals this year, with Carlyle as coach, you'd still want to throw all that away because we might get Babcock?

Unreal :shakehead

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
So if the Leafs made the Stanley Cup finals this year, with Carlyle as coach, you'd still want to throw all that away because we might get Babcock?

Unreal :shakehead

Are you seriously suggesting this team is going to the Cup Finals? Unreal.

Even if this team sneaks into the first round, I'd still consider a coaching upgrade.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I just really really want to see a good season, where we play well and make the playoffs. Who the coach is irrelevant. I am really sick and tired of losing. But I am really pessimistic that this team can play well under Randy or even under any other coach. If the team struggles out of the gate, I don't think it will take long for the ax to fall on RC and then we'll finally realize that this core is useless under any coach (RC is still terrible, though). Again, I hope I am wrong.

MajorityRules*

Are you seriously suggesting this team is going to the Cup Finals? Unreal.

Even if this team sneaks into the first round, I'd still consider a coaching upgrade.

Of course I'm not. Cripes, do you people even know what hypothetical means?

He's basically stated he wanted Carlyle gone no matter what happens this season just so Babcock can be the Leafs coach. So I threw out an extreme possibility (yes it is a possibility no matter what you think) to show just how stupid I think that opinion is.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd have to see Carlyle make changes in his ways like playing his fourth line more regularly with appropriate players (less pure enforcers)

I would also like to see an reasonably improved defensive game from the team, both statistically and what you see on the ice

If he can show that this season I'd give him another shot going forward

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Remember the way the Leafs played in the lockout season? That was Carlyle hockey. Or the west coast swing last season, remember how they played? That was Carlyle hockey.

The team is clearly not capable or disciplined enough to actually play the way Carlyle wants, which means Carlyle is the wrong coach for this team and that Carlyle is unable to adjust his strategies to suit the types of players that are the core of the team.

AKA, Carlyle WILL get fired more than likely. I'm still not seeing any "buy in" from the players and I have a gut feeling this year is going to be tough even though I consider myself an optimist about the Leafs every season. I just got a bad feeling things are going to go very poorly this year, which means Carlyle won't make it very long.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Remember the way the Leafs played in the lockout season? That was Carlyle hockey. Or the west coast swing last season, remember how they played? That was Carlyle hockey.

The team is clearly not capable or disciplined enough to actually play the way Carlyle wants, which means Carlyle is the wrong coach for this team and that Carlyle is unable to adjust his strategies to suit the types of players that are the core of the team.

AKA, Carlyle WILL get fired more than likely. I'm still not seeing any "buy in" from the players and I have a gut feeling this year is going to be tough even though I consider myself an optimist about the Leafs every season. I just got a bad feeling things are going to go very poorly this year, which means Carlyle won't make it very long.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Hey man, maybe if us optimists start thinking pessimistically that's when the Leafs will have a great season? One can hope.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think you missed the point I didn't mean will he get fired this year I meant how far does this team have to go for Shanny to not bring in Babcock

The problem is Babcock is no sure thing. I think whatever happens Randy will get the year. If he takes the team past the first round Shanny may decide he is good enough but otherwise I think all decisions will be decided based on what Babcock does.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
PLAYOFFS OR SEE YA LATER !!! We need to establish a winning culture where players of all ages want to come here and play. :nod:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Given the additions to the front office this off-season, I think Carlyle has to show that he can assimilate the influx of new information (advanced stats), while keeping up his ability to play match-ups. Then incorporate growth amongst the youth, and Shanahan will expect a team that plays physical, smart hockey.

I don't think Carlyle is being hung out to dry though. The analytics wing will help with recommendations and personnel suggestions that will give Randy better tools with which to execute.

Plus the roster looks much better.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
In terms of what protects him from Babcock taking over? I don't think anything can.

If Babcock and Shanahan work something out this off-season, Carlyle could've won the Cup and be on a 15-year extension and the Leafs would still can his ass faster than you can blink.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Carlyle stays as long as no better candidate becomes available!

I'm looking at you Babcock!

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Win.
And stop being an ******* to players in the media.
It's one thing to be neutral when people ask you about a player, its another to just be insulting.

The Bad Seed*

So we all assume Randy is going to get fired but what does he have to do to save his job? Does it matter what he does? Or could he literally win the cup and still get fired if Babcock is on the market?

Win

Thread/

Durkin67

So we all assume Randy is going to get fired but what does he have to do to save his job? Does it matter what he does? Or could he literally win the cup and still get fired if Babcock is on the market?

I think a better question might be what the Leafs need to do as an organization for Carlyle to remain employed with them.

Short answer: win.More than they lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad