TSN: Betting site says Leafs' Carlyle is most likely to be first coach fired

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I can just imaging the meeting for today's cuts.

Carlyle says we should keep Orr, Spott and Horachek look at Nonis, Nonis looks at Shanahan, Shanahan looks at Dubas, holds up a sheet of stats, shakes head...decision made.

That's what Randy has to do to keep his job.

Swayze*

http://www.tsn.ca/betting-site-says-leafs-carlyle-is-most-likely-to-be-first-coach-fired-1.101320

Toronto Maple Leafs bench boss Randy Carlyle is the odds-on favourite to be the first NHL coach fired this season, according to the betting website Bodog.ca.

Bodog quotes Carlyle at 5-2 odds to be the first coach in the league to be
dismissed, ahead of New York Islanders coach Jack Capuano (3-1). Philadelphia's Craig Berube is third (4-1) followed by Ottawa's Paul MacLean and Edmonton's Dallas Eakins (both 11-2).

Calgary Flames head coach Bob Hartley is next on the most-likely list at 6-1.

Bodog is also offering odds of 4-1 that a Canadian team will make the Stanley Cup Final and 7-1 for one to win the championship.

The website quotes the Chicago Blackhawks as favourites to win the Stanley Cup at 5-1 odds. The Boston Bruins are next at 11-2 with the defending champion Los Angeles Kings third at 13-2.

Among Canadian clubs, the Montreal Canadiens are rated at 18-1 to win the title. Other Canadian odds are the Canucks (33-1), Maple Leafs (40-1), Oilers (50-1), Senators (66-1), and the Flames and Jets (100-1).

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I never understand why a team keeps a coach that they are planning on just tossing early season - just sets the whole season off to chaotic mess

I'm not a huge randy fan or hater really, I just wished this would be resolved before the season started

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I never understand why a team keeps a coach that they are planning on just tossing early season - just sets the whole season off to chaotic mess

I'm not a huge randy fan or hater really, I just wished this would be resolved before the season started

i think they did.
if we do horrible, i think they ride him like a dying pony. (and then firing him)
if we do well, we pick up the option.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
IMO there will be very little patience with Mr. Carlyle. Slow start to season-he is gone, out of play-offs by Xmas-he is gone.
I just want to see a strong effort each and every game, not a bunch of lucky wins like last year that masked just how bad the team was.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
We might not get Babcock but no steve spot will NOT be our next coach at least not our next full time coach

I think Randy gets the can by Christmas and Spott takes over. Unless they go out and hire Bylsma or someone, which I don't think will happen.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I Carlyle goes, the replacement will get fired too.
Shanny waiting for Babcock.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Why is everyone 100% positive Babcock won't re-sign with Detroit. I understand the possibility but they've said that contract negotiations will take place during the year. This isn't as set in stone as you think. And yes, I understand we can offer a much higher salary but let's not start assuming things here.

Last edited:

Swayze*

Why is everyone 100% positive Babcock won't resign with Detroit. I understand the possibility but they've said that contract negotiations will take place during the year. This isn't as set in stone as you think. And yes, I understand we can offer a much higher salary but let's not start assuming things here.

Wings fans seem to think Pitty or U of M

mehavecable

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Last year when the buds were winning, many said that they couldn't sustain it b/c of their defensive lapses and the million shots on goal against. We relied much on our hot goaltending, and powerplay.

So it's not just about Leafs winning a bunch of games, it's about how they win the games. Is the overall defensive structure now sound? Are their SOG lower? Are all the lines contributing, and ice time is not heavy tilted towards the two top lines? Is our penalty kill effective. Do we even win games with average goaltending?

This will determine Carlyle's future.

And we should know by Xmas, if not sooner.

Tyler Biggs*

Carlyle has had 2 seasons with the Leafs and got us to the playoffs once .. 1/2 isn't that bad.. Plus Carlyle is only working with what is given to him by Nonis ... and the team isn't that bad..

Mar 26, 2010
Carlyle will never be fired. At least another 5 years here. We can go 0-82 and he still will not be fired.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Wings fans seem to think Pitty or U of M

If he leaves and goes to a NHL team the short list is about as follows:

Pitt
Anaheim
LA (if sutter retires)
St. Louis (again dependant on the current coach who is also a buddy of his calling it quits)
San Jose (a stretch but more than likely last of the above mentioned bunch)

Now what do all of these teams have that Toronto's doesn't? The answer is a deep and skilled center corps.

Puck possession is a major thing to Babs. But looking at your roster you have jack **** for players that consistantly win above 50% face offs and none of your centers are two way monsters. The only two decent puck moving d-men your team has our Reilly and Gardiner and babs would bench them in less than a heartbeat for lack of playing defense.

Not even gonna mention Kessel or Kadri. Babs would death stare them into shock and then proceed to beat them to within a inch of there life for not having the slightest semblance of two way ability. Back checking doesn't count for **** because you already got beat for lack of discipline and adherence to system structure.

Homophobic Sluroof is a pylon and is gonna start regressing something fierce in 1-2 years due to playing style. You have tops maybe 3 players Babcock would actually want on a roster of his and that is really stretching it.

It really is amusing at the wish listing of the TML fans that think it is a given he will come to your team. If he where to make a list in order of preference of which team he would want to go to your team would be lucky to be 7th from the bottom. Next to none of your players fit into his style of play. Your prospects are woefully lacking and your "core" are not leaders nor are they the type of players you would want signed for the term they are and "leading" the younger generation that matures them into a cohesive unit.

Last edited:

TheThrill81*

Carlyle will never be fired. At least another 5 years here. We can go 0-82 and he still will not be fired.

Considering the 2nd year of his contract is a team option, it's a real possibility that Carlyle may not be around next season.

TheThrill81*

If he leaves and goes to a NHL team the short list is about as follows:

Pitt
Anaheim
LA (if sutter retires)
St. Louis (again dependant on the current coach who is also a buddy of his calling it quits)
San Jose (a stretch but more than likely last of the above mentioned bunch)

Now what do all of these teams have that Toronto's doesn't? The answer is a deep and skilled center corps.

Puck possession is a major thing to Babs. But looking at your roster you have jack **** for players that consistantly win above 50% face offs and none of your centers are two way monsters. The only two decent puck moving d-men your team has our Reilly and Gardiner and babs would bench them in less than a heartbeat for lack of playing defense.

Not even gonna mention Kessel or Kadri. Babs would death stare them into shock and then proceed to beat them to within a inch of there life for not having the slightest semblance of two way ability. Back checking doesn't count for **** because you already got beat for lack of discipline and adherence to system structure.

Homophobic Sluroof is a pylon and is gonna start regressing something fierce in 1-2 years due to playing style. You have tops maybe 3 players Babcock would actually want on a roster of his and that is really stretching it.

It really is amusing at the wish listing of the TML fans that think it is a given he will come to your team. If he where to make a list in order of preference of which team he would want to go to your team would be lucky to be 7th from the bottom. Next to none of your players fit into his style of play. Your prospects are woefully lacking and your "core" are not leaders nor are they the type of players you would want signed for the term they are and "leading" the younger generation that matures them into a cohesive unit.

As a rule of thumb, it's a good idea to dismiss the opinions of people who use childish nicknames like 'Homophobic Sluroof' and then make mindless predictions like "Player X will regress in this many years due to playing style". So congratulations, your post amounts to the same thing as your life, a zero sum. (Yes, Captain America 2 reference).

Last edited by a moderator:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Why is everyone 100% positive Babcock won't re-sign with Detroit. I understand the possibility but they've said that contract negotiations will take place during the year. This isn't as set in stone as you think. And yes, I understand we can offer a much higher salary but let's not start assuming things here.

Besides the fact that the Leafs will probably offer to make him the highest paid coach in the league, supposedly a big point for him is that he wants a lot more control over personnel decisions. In this scenario Toronto is his ideal landing spot because management would have no problem clear cutting Nonis and Carlyle and giving the keys to Babs while surrounding him by go auxiliary talents like Dubas etc.

leafstilldeath*

Besides the fact that the Leafs will probably offer to make him the highest paid coach in the league, supposedly a big point for him is that he wants a lot more control over personnel decisions. In this scenario Toronto is his ideal landing spot because management would have no problem clear cutting Nonis and Carlyle and giving the keys to Babs while surrounding him by go auxiliary talents like Dubas etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing Babcock making personnel decisions. He has the resume of being one of the successful coaches in modern hockey:

Stanley Cup: Check
Olympic Gold: Check
Playoff Streak: Check

If I am told to manage a project with certain expectations and deadlines set; I want to assemble a team that will help me meet those expectations and deadlines.

Babcock has the track record and should be allowed to assemble a team that helps him meet the expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad