Better season 18-19? Crosby or Ovechkin?

???

• Total voters

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Also, every player who has ever played is held to the same standard/metric as Crosby with regards to that stat...

Numerous players play full seasons and miss far fewer games than Crosby. It is more difficult to sustain a pace over a full season than a partial season. It is more difficult to sustain a pace over multiple consecutive full seasons than it is to sustain it after you've sat out half a season or 75% of a season.

Hockey is a grind. Every game puts wear and tear on a player. It accumulates.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Give me 100 points and elite 2-way play as a center over 50 goals as a winger every single day of the week.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The goal of hockey is to score goals, goals are more valuable than assists. How is this even a question?

I'm pretty sure that the "goal of hockey" is to win, not just to score goals. There are many things that lead to winning, with goals being probably the biggest factor but certainly not the definitive factor.

Reactions: Jacob

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
How about consider that Crosby's stats have dropped so much that in terms of PPG Brad Marchand has matched him over a full season stride for stride, and gotten more goals. It's not McDavid, Brad Marchand has matched Crosby (who you consider the 2nd best player all time) stride for stride over a full season.

You might also want to turn it around a bit. Marchand has had arguably few career seasons and is playing in a line that has Bergerong scoring at 1,1ppg and Pasta scoring at 1.09 for the last two seasons. And yet Crosby is there, right there. Year in year out, Crosby is there in the mix, but the players (aside of Kane, McDavid, Kucherov) change. Its really hard to see this as a negative thing, but if one really pushes it, then I guess its possible.

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
Then Ovechkin having a record 8th Rocket, only person to do so, should mean something, but apparently that’s irrelevant, right?.....

Maybe let’s stick to what happened THIS year and not try to pad anyone’s accomplishments with the past.

The worst part about your posts is the fact that everyone on this website knows Crosby will finish higher in Hart voting. However, if Ovechkin did, you would obviously cite that as to why he had a better season.

The problem is, you will do the MidnightJudges routine and say the media is biased blah blah blah. I know more about hockey than them. My life is miserable. That kinda stuff.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Crosby's most important statistic of 2018-2019 wasn't mentioned in OP:
Skated with a backpack full of Penguins up a very treacherous Metro mountain and into the playoffs*

*Note: He had a Sherpa named Jake Guentzel.

Tough to vote though. I mean.. goals were up through the league - but Ovi netting 50 AGAIN is absolutely noteworthy. Sid carrying the Pens, getting 100 points, being in contention for both MVP and Selke are also absolutely noteworthy. Even when you try and look at the whole thing objectively it's tough. That being said I'd choose Sid for two reasons 1a) He did more for the Pens than Ovi did for the Caps, and 1b) My personal bias.

Reactions: Jacob

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
But Lemieux missed loads of games as well. So that logic only applies to Crosby then? :rolly:

Not IMO.

Durability is a huge knock against Lemieux and Orr. It's why there isn't a big four (IMO) and it's tremendously inequitable to Gretzky and Howe to pretend Lemieux and Orr are on their level.

Reactions: Hippasus

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby's most important statistic of 2018-2019 wasn't mentioned in OP:
Skated with a backpack full of Penguins up a very treacherous Metro mountain and into the playoffs*

I know right, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Guentzal....bums every one of them.

If only the Pens would stop being so cheap and spend near the salary Cap.

Reactions: Voight

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Maybe deep down some small part of you knows it wasn't a strong argument.
or maybe precedent deems that the more sense other people make, the less sense you make. If I know I'm going to get a terrible argument in return why even waste my time in the first place.

Lemieux missed 2 months of a season for cancer treatment, came back 12 point out of the scoring race and WON it. But yeah his durability makes him not fit to be up there with Gretzky.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
or maybe precedent deems that the more sense other people make, the less sense you make. If I know I'm going to get a terrible argument in return why even waste my time in the first place.

Lemieux missed 2 months of a season for cancer treatment, came back 12 point out of the scoring race and WON it. But yeah his durability makes him not fit to be up there with Gretzky.

Lemieux's peak season is comparable to Gretzky's best, but Gretzky was at or near that level for 6 seasons.

Lemieux missed ~ 20 games in his career because of cancer. The rest were because he couldn't hold up to the grind. Mario Lemieux utterly lacked durability.

Reactions: Hippasus

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
The worst part about your posts is the fact that everyone on this website knows Crosby will finish higher in Hart voting. However, if Ovechkin did, you would obviously cite that as to why he had a better season.

The problem is, you will do the MidnightJudges routine and say the media is biased blah blah blah. I know more about hockey than them. My life is miserable. That kinda stuff.
But to proclaim him as a Finalists no matter what and act like a fortune teller is perfectly reasonable? Same with the Selke. Last time I checked, no one knows. What makes some here so special?

That’s rich. I love your attempt to once again proclaim that you can tell the future and know exactly what I would do. Because apparently ignoring a record 8th Rocket takes a back seat to a supposed Selke and Hart Finalists that may or may not happen, makes perfect sense. Because having more assists than goals is obviously more valuable? Right?

No your problem is your superiority complex. That shows when Crosby is ever talked about, all while making yourself look silly. Your whole post had nothing to do what my original, if you actually read it and didn’t just react out of your sad impulse, you would know this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad