Better player: Cale Makar or Sam Girard?

Who is the better player? Cale Makar or Sam Girard?

• Total voters

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I have never understood the reasoning behind downplaying offense. Can you win a game without scoring? No, you cannot. But you can win a game when you give up 10 goals, as long as you have the offense to score 11 or more.

Yes, that is hyperbole. But it does illustrate my point...that offense wins games. And yes, defense can as well. But when you have a 5* offensive guy that has 3* defense, compared to a guy with 4* defense and 3.5* offense....one of them is going to help win more games. The difference may not be much, but the edge goes to Makar.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
That's definitely what is happening here.

Unfortunately, because Defensive play isn't as flashy, and is a much harder skill to display statistically... Girard is being given the short end here.

The real answer to all of this is that Girard is just the best Defender on the team, neutral zone and defensive zone. And the gap between he and Cale is quite large right now. It'll continue to shrink as Cale gets more NHL experience and his game rounds out more consistently. Long term he'll probably be better than Sam in all 3 zones of the rink. I'd even say as soon as next year he closes the gap in the defensive side to where he is better all overall.

The real question is if Girard can ever fix his muffin of a shot. I doubt it happens, but that's is by far the biggest thing holding him back from being a true all around #1D. His muffin shot limits what he can do offensively because it's not a threat at all so teams dont have to defend him as tight as they do Makar where he has a shot that can find the back of the net basically from anywhere.

My true hot take in all of this.... If Girard had Cales shot, he would be one of the very best Dmen in the league. His soaring ability, especially laterally, is incredibly hard to defend. He has an unbelievable ability to separate himself from defenders in tight space because of his Lateral foot work. The spin move is part of it but even in general he can switch directions ridiculously quick. Very similar to Quinn Hughes in this regard, though he doesnt quite have the top gear speed wise that Quinn has.

Girard can create a tonne of space for himself and his linemates offensively.
But without that dangerous shot he doesnt generate as much offense because of that weak shot. He also doesnt get it through traffic nearly as well as Cale either. Very Erik Johnson like in that regard.

Anyway that's my actual hot take. If Sam ever makes significant improvements in his shooting ability... I think he'll be awfully close to the player I expect Cale ends up being.

You think I’m biased? Reread the bolded part of what you wrote and remember you’re in a Cale Makar debate.

The truth is, you’re even more biased towards Girard than other people in here are to Makar. You just don’t see it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Girard by a fair bit right now.

Points = Flashy

Based on the results of the poll there's actually very little thinking going on here.

This is you every time you post here.

fry-futurama-megaphone-stupid-stopactingsostupid-1349437606b.gif

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
That's definitely what is happening here.

Unfortunately, because Defensive play isn't as flashy, and is a much harder skill to display statistically... Girard is being given the short end here.

The real answer to all of this is that Girard is just the best Defender on the team, neutral zone and defensive zone. And the gap between he and Cale is quite large right now. It'll continue to shrink as Cale gets more NHL experience and his game rounds out more consistently. Long term he'll probably be better than Sam in all 3 zones of the rink. I'd even say as soon as next year he closes the gap in the defensive side to where he is better all overall.

The real question is if Girard can ever fix his muffin of a shot. I doubt it happens, but that's is by far the biggest thing holding him back from being a true all around #1D. His muffin shot limits what he can do offensively because it's not a threat at all so teams dont have to defend him as tight as they do Makar where he has a shot that can find the back of the net basically from anywhere.

My true hot take in all of this.... If Girard had Cales shot, he would be one of the very best Dmen in the league. His soaring ability, especially laterally, is incredibly hard to defend. He has an unbelievable ability to separate himself from defenders in tight space because of his Lateral foot work. The spin move is part of it but even in general he can switch directions ridiculously quick. Very similar to Quinn Hughes in this regard, though he doesnt quite have the top gear speed wise that Quinn has.

Girard can create a tonne of space for himself and his linemates offensively. But without that dangerous shot he doesnt generate as much offense because of that weak shot. He also doesnt get it through traffic nearly as well as Cale either. Very Erik Johnson like in that regard.

Anyway that's my actual hot take. If Sam ever makes significant improvements in his shooting ability... I think he'll be awfully close to the player I expect Cale ends up being.
People aren't getting blinded by flashiness. Makar is just a phenomenal offensive talent and that makes up for his shortcomings defensively. It's a balancing act and imo he still comes out ahead.

Let's not act like Girard is a rock defensively either. He's good with his stick and has a tremendous ability to pokcheque players for a guy his size but he's really undersized for an NHL defenseman and it shows. Any 6'1" or 6'2" forward coming into the zone with speed must feel like Shaq going up for the dunk when they see Girard. He is physically incapable of holding them back.

If for some reason I could only dress one of them for game 7 it's Makar.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's debatable. A lot of nights the team's defense solely depended on Girard. When he was struggling in the middle of the year the whole defense went to shit.

In fact if I had to pick only one of the two to dress for a big game I'd probably go with G because of how important he is for the team's defense.

Defensively speaking, the difference between Makar and whoever replaces him isn't big, so it comes down to "Is Girard a more important piece defensively than Makar is offensively" and the answer is yes.

Removing Girard from the lineup hurts the team more than removing Makar. That's subject to change, of course.

The bolded is probably why we disagree. I don't think Girard is as important defensively as EJ or even Graves, because Graves helps cover for Makar.

Girard's main contribution is his puck mobility not his defense. Getting the puck not only out of the D zone, but into the hands of the forwards at the right time so they can go on the attack. His footwork is amazing. Forget stick handling, he can skate circles in a phone booth. That's why he's so good at getting out of danger.

G's better than Cale defensively, but I don't think he's good enough defensively to make up the difference in production and offensive creativity that helps Makar generate so much momentum. G has too many limitations in front of the net, in the corners, and in 1 on 1 battles when the player gets good body position.

If I had to choose which defenseman plays and which sits, I'm choosing Makar over Girard every time. That's nothing against G, it's just that Makar is that dominant. His 72 point pace as a rookie is a testament to that.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I have never understood the reasoning behind downplaying offense. Can you win a game without scoring? No, you cannot. But you can win a game when you give up 10 goals, as long as you have the offense to score 11 or more.

Yes, that is hyperbole. But it does illustrate my point...that offense wins games. And yes, defense can as well. But when you have a 5* offensive guy that has 3* defense, compared to a guy with 4* defense and 3.5* offense....one of them is going to help win more games. The difference may not be much, but the edge goes to Makar.

The difference comes from the ratings essentially.

3* D for Cale would be a pretty optimistic thought on his defensive play this year. That would suggest slightly above average which, especially when you factor in the level of sheltering he had... I think it's high.

I would also say 3.5* for Girard to be low. Since everyone is using points to evaluate Cale offensively, when you look at Sams points, he's Top 40 league wide for production Defensively. Including Top 15 for PP production playing primarily on the 2nd unit where one Tyson Jost has made a real name for himself this year.

To me his offense is much higher than a 3.5*, it's more like a 4* if not 4.5*. When the season returns, he likely hits 40 points this year. Not many Dmen in the league hit 40 points. Even less do so without playing on the top PP unit.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
One thing I’ll be curious of moving forward is if the flashy stat-padder moniker sticks with Makar throughout his career.

He’ll likely be playing with good players for many years and probably producing at a high level.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

:laugh:

It's a bit frustrating because at this points I feel like I'm painting a negative picture about Makar, which isnt what I am trying to achieve at all.

Cale is a phenomenal player. Good shot at the Calder if he had stayed healthy all year, and a future Norris winner in my eyes. I'm not trying to take anything away from his play.

It's more just a fact that Girard is criminally underrated. A huge reason why the Avs have stepped up into contender status this season, is the fact Girard took significant strides this year. He's went from a middle pairing guy with upside to his game but consistency issues that prevent him from taking that next step... to now actually being a consistent night in, night out stud at both ends of the ice.

I suspect it's his size that is causing people to really underappreciate how good he's become this year. Similar to how Jared Spurgeon has ways been criminally underrated through his entire career.

Cale this year is essentially where Girard was before this year. Showing all kinds of brilliant, dynamic traits to his game. But not at the consistency level that's needed for him to truly be that elite, dynamic #1 guy quite yet. It will come, Cale is too smart to not figure it all out.

Anyways... I'm.getting tired of the debate. I respect enough of the posters on the other side of this debate and understand the value some are putting into Cales offensive game to pick Makar.

I like the company I have in Team Girard here though. Nice to see the value in Gs Defensive and transitional game being recognized.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Thanks man. I really value your posts, so I appreciate this.

"Points = flashy" about Cale Makar, and saying that he's byproduct of "opportunity and who you play with" might literally be the worst argument I've ever heard on HF.

That's like troll level absurdity, but you were 100% serious. To top it off with your usual accusation that those who have another opinion than you are stupid, make for a hilarious way to start the day. :laugh:

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I get why Canucks fans were losing there mind on the main boards in the Calder discussion threads. Some of this is just painful to read even as an Avs fan.

Just blatant full on bias.

If you disagree with people, it doesn't mean the other side is wrong. You could be wrong also, or no one. This isn't 1+1 = 2 we're arguing, this is somewhat subjective.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

It's a bit frustrating because at this points I feel like I'm painting a negative picture about Makar, which isnt what I am trying to achieve at all.

Cale is a phenomenal player. Good shot at the Calder if he had stayed healthy all year, and a future Norris winner in my eyes. I'm not trying to take anything away from his play.

It's more just a fact that Girard is criminally underrated. A huge reason why the Avs have stepped up into contender status this season, is the fact Girard took significant strides this year. He's went from a middle pairing guy with upside to his game but consistency issues that prevent him from taking that next step... to now actually being a consistent night in, night out stud at both ends of the ice.

I suspect it's his size that is causing people to really underappreciate how good he's become this year. Similar to how Jared Spurgeon has ways been criminally underrated through his entire career.

Cale this year is essentially where Girard was before this year. Showing all kinds of brilliant, dynamic traits to his game. But not at the consistency level that's needed for him to truly be that elite, dynamic #1 guy quite yet. It will come, Cale is too smart to not figure it all out.

Anyways... I'm.getting tired of the debate. I respect enough of the posters on the other side of this debate and understand the value some are putting into Cales offensive game to pick Makar.

I like the company I have in Team Girard here though. Nice to see the value in Gs Defensive and transitional game being recognized.
I mean I agree that I think Girard has been better this season. Where I disagree is that 1) I don't think the margin between the two is huge and 2) the points were a byproduct of his teammates argument is just bad. Anyone who watched the Avs consistently know that after the first 10 games of the season Makar learned how to take over games offensively and wasn't a product of Mack.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The smartest people who write and track stats on hockey have Cale Makar as a top 10 defenseman in the NHL this season. Like unanimously too. Not just sneaking into some random lists here and there. Every single list. I haven’t seen Girard sniff any of those lists.

I love Girard and his all round game definitely makes him close in value to Makar right now. Especially to our team where team defense is needed. Girard eats heavier defensive responsibility than most even understand. However it’s just not reasonable to say he’s been better by a considerable gap.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Here in lies the difference in thinking, Pierce. Particularly in the bolded section.

You’re comparing Makar to Girard of last season. A year, where Girard put up 27 points in 82 games. Makar was on pace for a 72 point year, if healthy. That’s a pretty big difference.

It’s almost like offensive production means nothing to you. Just saying that Makar has brilliant dynamic traits, but he’s still looking for consistency is a bit of a disservice to Makar.

I agree that he has plenty of room for growth and definitely isn’t perfect, but neither is Girard.

Your points on Girard are valid, especially about him being underrated, he is a special player. I’m just struggling to see Makar the way you do.

Just going to reiterate too. I get worked up sometimes about the Avs and strongly disagree with people at times, but we’re still all Avs nation and I realize ultimately we’re on the same side here.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's no good or bad answer to this poll and pitting Avs players against each other sucks.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
There's no good or bad answer to this poll and pitting Avs players against each other sucks.
For the people that say Makar has been better, I absolutely get why they think that and the difference between the two currently is not very big. There's also no reason to disparage our own players to win an argument over two very very good hockey players. But long term I think this is Makar no question.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Very unfortunate when people resort to trying to “understand” another perspective by basically conjuring up reasons to ignore/dismiss it.

Reactions: avsfan09

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The smartest people who write and track stats on hockey have Cale Makar as a top 10 defenseman in the NHL this season. Like unanimously too. Not just sneaking into some random lists here and there. Every single list. I haven’t seen Girard sniff any of those lists.

I love Girard and his all round game definitely makes him close in value to Makar right now. Especially to our team where team defense is needed. Girard eats heavier defensive responsibility than most even understand. However it’s just not reasonable to say he’s been better by a considerable gap.

The simple explanation here is that Girard isn't a great fancy stat guy on offense. He never has been, probably never will. He's typically good defensively, elite in transition, mediocre to poor offensively per the state.. It is part of the way he plays the game. His offense isn't shot generation heavy it is puck on stick, movement based... Makar's is shot generation heavy. With most stats being based around that idea, it lowers how Girard would rank. And I would also say it accurately points to their offensive talent levels... Girard will never be the type to be a 50+ point defensemen. I just don't see it in his game. He's solid and a guy who will probably eclipse 40 a few times... but he's not in that elite offensive category like Makar is. Makar's level of offense also allows his defensive liabilities to be covered up. Right now Makar's best defense is simply playing his offensive game. It really isn't dissimilar to Barrie's prior seasons here.

To me, there are two big differences that I'll argue have elevated G. Starting with the non-hot take... G is playing much better offensive hockey this year. It isn't fancy stat mindblowing, but it is much more efficient and it is actually effective. There is an enormous difference between a 25 and an 40 point defensemen offensively. They are completely different realms and Girard made that jump this year. His offensive game is as improved year over year as anybody on the Avs. It is more consistent and more effective. If he was still playing as a 25 point sort of guy, this is absolutely no contest to Makar. G has done this while making a slight improvement on his defensive play as well. His two way effectiveness is up there with the elite young defensemen in the league. I think people would be surprised on how well Girard stacks up against Heiskanen and McAvoy directly. And I think that is very underappreciated here.

Now the hot take part... Graves is better than EJ at this point, and that is especially true when it comes to advanced stats. EJ has never been a good advanced stats player... his game isn't well suited to working in that area. As he is aging and losing his physical ability, he's having to rely more on his brain which has never been a strong suit to his game. He's never been a real responsible defensive play, but he's alway been good enough. His offensive game is all but gone and he's not a good stretch passer. Physically he can still hold up well enough to do his job, but he is heavily reliant on G recovering and transitioning pucks while EJ just uses his physical skills. G is the workhorse on that pairing. Now while you could VERY reasonably argue that Graves needs to take a step back in how he plays, he's a better passer, has a better shot, and plays a headier game defensively. He's more positionally sound and able to do more with the puck than EJ is. It gives Makar a bit more room to play his game. When you see teams attacking EJ/G pairing, they collapse on G and dare the Avs to run through EJ more. They tried the same with Graves/Makar and it started backfiring... he was capable enough to make Makar's job easier and is better at drawing away forecheckers to give Makar the (minimal) space he needs.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Put me in the camp that isn't thinking straight because I also voted for Cale. Haaaa the old "you are not agreeing with me then you must be wrong and not thinking at all" argument. Makes me laugh all the time. Stupid me should have looked at who voted for who before making my selection.

It is very close IMO but I give the overall edge to Cale by a slight margin. The way I see it is this:
- Girard had the best season overall so far.
- Makar is slightly better as of today (the OP's question was with regard to today's play)
- Makar will have a better career.

Reactions: avsfan09

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’ve already said who I voted for, but it’s fun to take a look at their overall games too.

Girard: A couple things I really like about Girard is his defensive awareness and his poise with the puck.

The way he’s able to turn away from danger and get the puck to an outlet is amazing. He’s always going to have his physical limitations in terms of knocking the opposition off the puck in the D zone, but he does a good job with his positioning and has an active stick.

His overall offensive game, should be better highlighted when he eventually partners with Timmins down the line. He is incredibly agile and one of the better passing defenceman in the league and sees the ice very well.

He is somewhat limited by his shot, which is why he only has 12 goals in 225 games, but I still really like what he brings to the offence. And he’s publicly stated a desire to improve his shot, so hopefully there will be some development there in the offseason.

Makar: On the defensive side, Makar’s awareness in his own zone isn’t as strong as Girard’s yet, but he does an excellent job skating the puck out of trouble. He’s also very adept at intercepting passes and turning up ice. He will lower the boom from time, to time too. Personally, I think he’s at his best defensively, when he’s putting his body on people, even if it’s not always big hits.

Offensively, Makar’s speed and agility are rare for a defenceman. It’s definitely a big part of his game along with his wrist-shot.

One of the more underrated parts of his offensive repertoire is his mind imo.

First and foremost he thinks the game well, but just as important, Makar thirsts to be a difference maker. He has an aggressive mindset in terms of wanting to score, and wanting to push the pace and set people up. You know how they say goal scorers have to love scoring goals? I get that same kind of feeling from Makar in terms of how he wants to impose his will on the game.

Can you imagine what these two are going to be like when they’re 24/25? Playing apart, or together it’s going to be fun to watch.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If we want to break down individual parts of their game I think you can say Girard is better than Makar at his defensive zone positioning and his defensive stick (both by a fair margin too). Makar is better at pretty much everything else.

Reactions: missionAvs

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Poor Girard, this was never a fair fight.

Sure, he's got Makar defensively. But it's not like Makar is a pylon in his own zone and it's not like Girard is exactly Adam Foote in his own end, either.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I mean I agree that I think Girard has been better this season. Where I disagree is that 1) I don't think the margin between the two is huge and 2) the points were a byproduct of his teammates argument is just bad. Anyone who watched the Avs consistently know that after the first 10 games of the season Makar learned how to take over games offensively and wasn't a product of Mack.

Obviously what I said has been interpreted in a completely different way of what was meant since multiple people are now coming to this conclusion.

I didn't at any point mean to suggest Cale is a product of his teammates. What I have said and continue to say is, when you get lots of offensive zone starts, when you're used heavily in situations where you're trying to score goals, and less so in situations where you're trying to defend a lead... And when you are the #1 PP QB, you are being given opportunity and situational preference to produce points.

That's not a matter of opinion either. It is a well known fact that players production in the league is massively influenced by a combination of who you play with and the opportunity you get. I know of people doing studies on this right now and coming to some pretty damn compelling statistical evidence of just how big of an impact it has.

It's not necessarily a knock to Makar or his game either. He's the best Offensive Defender on this team, he's the guy who should be getting those opportunities to be on the ice for offensive zone faceoffs, to get the PP minutes, and to be out on the ice more in games where the Avs are trailing and need goals.

Makar gets more ice time in games the Avs lose, and less ice time in the games the Avs win. Part of the reason is because in losses, the Avs spend time driving and pushing play harder to try and tie the game up. These are some of those offensive opportunities Cale gets.

Girard sees a spike in his minutes when the team is trailing as well, but not as much as Cale sees the spikes. Part of this is because the two see time on the ice together when the team is losing as well. The big factor is that Girards minutes overall are much closer to the ~21 minutes a night average. Regardless of a win or a loss he's around 21 minutes a night quite consistently. While Cale sees a wider fluctuation. He has a lot of games under 18 minutes a night, but also a lot over 24 a night.

Basically, Cale is elite offensively yes, he's also being set up exceptionally well by Bednar to be elite offensively. He deserves the opportunities, but that still doesn't change that it is opportunity he is getting.

Maybe this is part of the problem as well? I dont think anyone here is debating the value of these guys are they? They're not even in the same ball park when talking value. Cale is a 20 year old Rookie having a generational rookie season. He has tonnes more value than Girard. No doubt about that.

Purely on ice is what I'm arguing. And strictly this season as well.

Here in lies the difference in thinking, Pierce. Particularly in the bolded section.

You’re comparing Makar to Girard of last season. A year, where Girard put up 27 points in 82 games. Makar was on pace for a 72 point year, if healthy. That’s a pretty big difference.

It’s almost like offensive production means nothing to you. Just saying that Makar has brilliant dynamic traits, but he’s still looking for consistency is a bit of a disservice to Makar.
).

Maybe I should have been more clear here. Defensively, Makar is a lot like Girard last year, where there's flashes and signs of figuring things out but not putting it all together yet. Offensively, Cale has just about everything figured out already. That's for sure.

If we want to break down individual parts of their game I think you can say Girard is better than Makar at his defensive zone positioning and his defensive stick (both by a fair margin too). Makar is better at pretty much everything else.

I'll probably open up another can of worms with this one but... I think Girard is actually a slightly better skater.

Cale has a higher top end speed... But Sam is much more laterally efficient. Similar to the Cale/Quinn debate here on the better skater. And I used to be in the Cale Makar camp on this one and got into some heated arguments on the main boards on this topic, but having watched Quinn closer I think its clearly Quinn Hughes now. His lateral movement just allows him to make plays an NHL defender should not be able to make. Cales got that overall speed advantage and he may very well be the fastest guy on the Avs, even faster than Nate when he gets going. But his lateral movements while still very, very good, aren't what Sammy's are. Depends on what you prefer more here I guess. I like the agility more in my Dmen.

The way I see it....

Cale is better in the Offensive zone. They're equally as good(Both are elite) in the Neutral zone, and Girard being better in the Defensive zone.

Overall, Girard is a little better because I think Makar is average to below average in his own zone right now. Lots of signs of excellence to come in that regard. But the full package isn't put together yet.

I also haven't ever said that the gap is large between the two. All I've said is that its a big enough margin that there's a clear better player. Like Mackinnon and Eichel for example. Both phenomenal players, but there's enough of a gap in skill between the two that one is the better player over the other. Small gap, but a gap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad