Better player: Cale Makar or Sam Girard?

Who is the better player? Cale Makar or Sam Girard?

• Total voters

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Girard was the better player overall this year, besides the rough start he was our most consistent defender. Makar had more dominant stretches and will better (wouldn't be surprised by next season), but he also had his fair share of bad games.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Voted Cale. I just think he brings so much unique play to the table and he’s changed the outlook of the franchise since coming aboard.

Sammy is big time though and the Avs wouldn’t be where they’re at without him.

I thought it spoke volumes about how special the Avs think Makar is, when Landy made these comments in his last post-game. Particularly when he shakes his head in disbelief. You don’t see that too often, when a guy is talking about a teammate.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Makar but it’s close in my opinion.

Defensively
Makar: Average to below average
Girard: Very good but his often outmuscling prevents him from being great right now.

Offensively
Makar: Elite
Girard: Good

Transition
Makar: Elite
Girard: Elite

Makar gets the nod in physicality and special teams too.

Girard is more steady and responsible but I think Makar is better. It’s very very close though.

Reactions: Murzu

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Now or going forward? Right now Sam is a bit better defensively but Makar destroys him offensively.

Going forward is going to be that scene from Winter Solider where Cap just laps Sam (ironically) all morning.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Now or going forward? Right now Sam is a bit better defensively but Makar destroys him offensively.

Going forward is going to be that scene from Winter Solider where Cap just laps Sam (ironically) all morning.

The poll is for right now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think there may be some overthinking going on here. Makar dominated more games and had a bigger impact on the team's success IMO. It's already Makar.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I love Sammy, but if we're talking about the better player today, at this moment, it's probably Makar.

Reactions: avsfan09

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Makar took this team to another level so it's hard to argue against him. That said, Girard's overall play (including defense) give him an edge, but Makar will soon overtake him.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Why are people saying Makar is average to below average defensively, he has multiple pass breakups, good hits, and a few times he positioned and timed himself correctly defending 2 on 1's I thought he actually showed signs of becoming an elite defender at multiple points this season.

Reactions: Makar27

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Girard by a fair bit right now. That likely changes as soon as next year but ya, it is definitely Samwise right now

By a fair bit. Lol. It's close at least.

Based on the results of the poll there's actually very little thinking going on here.

Or they just don't agree with you. Girard is certainly the better defensive player. He isn't the better player. But maybe think hard is hard.

Reactions: avsfan09

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think there may be some overthinking going on here. Makar dominated more games and had a bigger impact on the team's success IMO. It's already Makar.
That's debatable. A lot of nights the team's defense solely depended on Girard. When he was struggling in the middle of the year the whole defense went to shit.

In fact if I had to pick only one of the two to dress for a big game I'd probably go with G because of how important he is for the team's defense.

Defensively speaking, the difference between Makar and whoever replaces him isn't big, so it comes down to "Is Girard a more important piece defensively than Makar is offensively" and the answer is yes.

Removing Girard from the lineup hurts the team more than removing Makar. That's subject to change, of course.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Based on the results of the poll there's actually very little thinking going on here.

Pierce man, you are too much sometimes haha

upload_2020-4-27_18-50-13.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think a lot of people are getting confused on the players, Makar is like a million times flashier and why people "think" he's better, whereas Girard is as consistent as they come by. I voted Makar because besides the defensive zone, I do think he's better at creating something out of nothing, but the hottakes on Makar here are getting to Canuck fan level. Being as consistent as Girard is is extremely impressive in its own right and actually one of the harder attributes to accomplish in sports.

And what I'm suggesting, saying that everyone's opinion that differs from yours is simply a result of very little thinking, is fairly douchey.
Implying somebody is douchey is the definition of douchey, no? :sarcasm:

Reactions: McMetal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad