Better player: Cale Makar or Sam Girard?

Who is the better player? Cale Makar or Sam Girard?

• Total voters

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Makar, relative to some of his peers (among them Hughes and Girard) has the tools (size and strength) to play a more traditional physical defensive game. It is like having another tool in his kit. It's one that he is still in the process of learning to use. He is not as limited in his approach of how to play in his own zone. That is not to say that the others can't be effective but his defensive ceiling may be much higher than what he has shown so far. Hughes and G have near perfect technique already, Makar needs some work. Given his work ethic and coachability I think the potential for significant growth is there. We already know what he can do offensively.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think a lot of people are getting confused on the players, Makar is like a million times flashier and why people "think" he's better, whereas Girard is as consistent as they come by. I voted Makar because besides the defensive zone, I do think he's better at creating something out of nothing, but the hottakes on Makar here are getting to Canuck fan level. Being as consistent as Girard is is extremely impressive in its own right and actually one of the harder attributes to accomplish in sports.

Implying somebody is douchey is the definition of douchey, no? :sarcasm:
So does that make you douche here too?:sarcasm: Good god, now we're all douches.

Last edited:

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I'm a total douche and you're responding to a douche so sorry fam, but you're one too!
Lol that’s what I was trying to get at.
But how can I be a douche when I’m clearly here to educate y’all. That’s pretty altruistic of me to spend my time correcting you jerks.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Lol that’s what I was trying to get at.
But how can I be a douche when I’m clearly here to educate y’all. That’s pretty altruistic of me to spend my time correcting you jerks.
Bragging is a really douchey look, dontcha think?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Y'all just need to argue in gif form

source.gif

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I'm glad to see this kind of love for Girard. I remember when he signed his contract that some posters disagreed that it was an amazing contract for the Avs.

The consensus at the time of signing was that is was a great contract. Many posters turned on him within the first few weeks of the season though, and then came back around when he pulled back into form. "What have you done lately" is a big thing in this section of the forums, something which is clearly evident, especially when the Jost hate went from a boil to a simmer, then right back to a boil near the end of this season.

PS. Jost is still my boy. Screw the haters.

Reactions: Tweaky and CB Joe

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The consensus at the time of signing was that is was a great contract. Many posters turned on him within the first few weeks of the season though, and then came back around when he pulled back into form. "What have you done lately" is a big thing in this section of the forums, something which is clearly evident, especially when the Jost hate went from a boil to a simmer, then right back to a boil near the end of this season.

Yeah it should have been at a boil the whole time. :nod:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I can see the argument that Samwise performed better this past season & filled the bigger role for us, but I'd still say that Cale's the better player. Class vs form; Samwise is a lot more polished...despite being basically the same age...so was able to deliver things that Cale was not yet able to, but Cale is a higher class of blueliner; whom I would argue made the bigger impact this season despite the lack of polish.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think a lot of people are getting confused on the players, Makar is like a million times flashier and why people "think" he's better, whereas Girard is as consistent as they come by. I voted Makar because besides the defensive zone, I do think he's better at creating something out of nothing, but the hottakes on Makar here are getting to Canuck fan level. Being as consistent as Girard is is extremely impressive in its own right and actually one of the harder attributes to accomplish in sports.

FWIW I kinda feel like we have a lot of folks on here who over-rate Girard's quality with the puck because of his flash. Yes, he was more consistent than the rookie and is the much more reliable defender...but that gap with the puck seems to be getting under-estimated in this thread where we're forgetting all of the possessions that died on his stick or with him muffin'ing the puck right to the goalie...even with the step he took after his slow start. Cale was creating danger a lot more often even if the swings in form were far greater.

Sure, consistency is a huge part of controlling matches, which you don't need to convince me is a great way to ensure results...but it's not yet what gives our team its edge. That would be the dynamism & ability to turn a game around in an instant; even when our speed on the forecheck isn't letting us control the action. And Cale helps give us an advantage in that way a lot more than Samwise bolstered our consistency & ability to strangle teams.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Here's the real question that will tear this board apart: who's better, Sam Makar, or Cale Girard?

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

PS. Jost is still my boy. Screw the haters.

vader-join-us.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad