TV: Better Call Saul - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I feel awful for Howard, Jimmy does nothing to relieve his guilt even though the insurance malpractice issue was originated by him lol

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I feel awful for Howard, Jimmy does nothing to relieve his guilt even though the insurance malpractice issue was originated by him lol

Yeah but Howard still forced the issue to get Chuck out- it really doesn't matter how it started. If we go back to episode 1 the show starts with some absurdly low buy out for Chuck. I think we had the start of Saul there..... no empathy for anyone else.

Not a bad start, set up a ton of stories. The beginning was good - I loved Mike actually going to work at Madrigal. lol

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
At the end of the episode, Jimmy looks so relieved and even joyous that, of all people, Howard is the one to take all the blame and guilt for Chuck’s death. Like it just clicked! Time to be Saul! Moving on!

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Good episode.
A few things that stood out to me:

-Opening scene obviously shows how much Jimmy has been withered away and how paranoid and scared he has become living under a fake identity.

-Outside of the first scene, Jimmy barely speaks the entire episode. It felt like he maybe said a handful of words.

-Lol @ Mike sabotaging Barry's car and then assuming his identity to perform an audit on Madrigal.

-It was a bit unnerving to see how happy Jimmy was when Howard was confessing to pushing Chuck out of the firm, as he was feeding the fish. I don't really know what to make of it. Was he happy because Howard was taking the fall? Or that his plan worked? Or that he no longer needs to deal with Chuck anymore? Or is it just a strange way to deal with his grief over the loss of Chuck? It's strange because he seemed to genuinely care for Chuck, outside of the insurance scheme and his bar hearing.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

pretty good opinion here

‘Better Call Saul’ Season Premiere Recap: Funeral for a Friend – Rolling Stone

As Jimmy comes to understand the true, and truly indefensible, reason his brother killed himself, something in him breaks. It’s the same something that has made us like him so much over these three years, the thing that has made us all dread the moment when it goes away and he becomes Saul Goodman for real. In that moment, Jimmy McGill realizes that the only way he can deal with this horrible understanding is to turn off his fundamental decency and let Howard take the blame for it all. More than ever before on this show, he is Saul Goodman, utterly untroubled by the decisions he’s made and the people he’s hurt, whistling without a care in the world as he checks the fish tank and makes coffee, just like Walter White whistled after the Drew Sharp incident. (And Kim looks just as dismayed to witness this one as Jesse was to witness that.)

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I kind of figured Chuck died and now Saul makes sense. Jimmy always tip toed between being good and bad. Eventhough his brother seemed to always knock him down it probably crushed him that he never got his approval. No matter the effort he would never be good enough. His death crusged him and he likely decided it didnt matter anymore. He was basically a loner. This causes him to do something like likely push away Kim. The drive to show people they were wrong about him gives Jimmy/Saul a purpose in life.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
pretty good opinion here

‘Better Call Saul’ Season Premiere Recap: Funeral for a Friend – Rolling Stone

As Jimmy comes to understand the true, and truly indefensible, reason his brother killed himself, something in him breaks. It’s the same something that has made us like him so much over these three years, the thing that has made us all dread the moment when it goes away and he becomes Saul Goodman for real. In that moment, Jimmy McGill realizes that the only way he can deal with this horrible understanding is to turn off his fundamental decency and let Howard take the blame for it all. More than ever before on this show, he is Saul Goodman, utterly untroubled by the decisions he’s made and the people he’s hurt, whistling without a care in the world as he checks the fish tank and makes coffee, just like Walter White whistled after the Drew Sharp incident. (And Kim looks just as dismayed to witness this one as Jesse was to witness that.)

Howard expressing guilt about it was just another opportunity for Jimmy to get himself off the hook, which he had always seized. Jimmy may have felt a little bad, but I also think he was always broken and his moral compass was never there. His sociopathology is the story. Slippin Jimmy was the beginning and is presumably the end.

Last edited:

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Sabotaging the car and swiping the id card is so classic Mike..so awesome he is one step ahead of planet earth.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Good episode.
A few things that stood out to me:

-Opening scene obviously shows how much Jimmy has been withered away and how paranoid and scared he has become living under a fake identity.

-Outside of the first scene, Jimmy barely speaks the entire episode. It felt like he maybe said a handful of words.

-Lol @ Mike sabotaging Barry's car and then assuming his identity to perform an audit on Madrigal.

-It was a bit unnerving to see how happy Jimmy was when Howard was confessing to pushing Chuck out of the firm, as he was feeding the fish. I don't really know what to make of it. Was he happy because Howard was taking the fall? Or that his plan worked? Or that he no longer needs to deal with Chuck anymore? Or is it just a strange way to deal with his grief over the loss of Chuck? It's strange because he seemed to genuinely care for Chuck, outside of the insurance scheme and his bar hearing.

i believe this was done so with purpose. The only time Jimmy showed any sort of life was when he found out about the insurance . That was kind of like a " i won" moment. The comment to howard i believe is getting overblown. I think that was more of a throwaway comment to end discussing talk about the guy he hates the most. HIs change in mood is tied to the fact that he won, he got the last laugh over chuck.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Between the two, Chuck was so horrible to Jimmy. Always had to keep Jimmy below him, no way could he be an attorney. Ultimately it was Chuck's mental condition that led to his death. Jimmy, Howard and his ex wife were definitely triggers. The way Chuck treated Jimmy, it was hard to believe they were brothers.

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Mike performing the security audit was the best part of the episode. Amazing how entertaining Mike doing boring things is.

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Mike performing the security audit was the best part of the episode. Amazing how entertaining Mike doing boring things is.
And it was funny because the character himself was obviously just bored. You saw him sitting there watching a baseball game, then he just sort of internally went, "f*** it. They're paying me to be a security consultant, I'm gonna go do some security consulting."

"Yes. Absolutely I will sign that card."

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Howard is an underrated good guy of the show, he has always liked Jimmy and Chuck was always the one to push Jimmy down. Howard would have hired Jimmy once he got his degree from the pristine University of American Samoa, he treated Kim respectfully and only tries to do whats right for the company. Almost everything Howard does that is crappy was dictated by Chuck. SO I do feel bad for Howard, he thinks he killed his friend/mentor, but it was Jimmy, or I guess you can say it was Saul, Jimmy wouldn't leave it all on Howard, the Saul side would. Jimmy is the person who would do the right thing with the ladies in the nursing home, Saul would have keep the deal/money going. GOD I love this show too much.

Reactions: Bozle

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Between the two, Chuck was so horrible to Jimmy. Always had to keep Jimmy below him, no way could he be an attorney. Ultimately it was Chuck's mental condition that led to his death. Jimmy, Howard and his ex wife were definitely triggers. The way Chuck treated Jimmy, it was hard to believe they were brothers.

Yeah Chuck is clearly always the aggressor since the show started. I always think that maybe growing up with the con-artist Jimmy that maybe by the time the show starts that Chuck has just had enough. Jimmy is like a drug addict but with bad decisions. Chuck after seeing for over 30 years has had enough and is just waiting for him to relapse, and Jimmy does do a lot of shitty stuff on the show still, I think we all just already like Jimmy so we want to give him a pass, and who doesn't hate guys like Chuck.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Jimmy stole thousands from his parents and scammed other family members. Jimmy's been an asshole his whole life.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
And it was funny because the character himself was obviously just bored. You saw him sitting there watching a baseball game, then he just sort of internally went, "**** it. They're paying me to be a security consultant, I'm gonna go do some security consulting."

"Yes. Absolutely I will sign that card."
I don't think Mike did that security audit for the hell of it. He needs to keep up appearances. Who would you question more: a "security consultant" who no one in the company has ever seen doing any security checks or one that actually has been seen around doing his checks?

He got a "position" to hold upto in the company and Mike will make sure he does his "job" even if it is just for show

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't think Mike did that security audit for the hell of it. He needs to keep up appearances. Who would you question more: a "security consultant" who no one in the company has ever seen doing any security checks or one that actually has been seen around doing his checks?

He got a "position" to hold upto in the company and Mike will make sure he does his "job" even if it is just for show
Exactly why he made himself very loud and visible at the end as well. He wants to be seen and heard so people remember him.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad