TV: Better Call Saul - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
In the job interview scene, they used a couple actors who have recurring roles in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I couldn't help but think they were playing some version of those characters.

maxresdefault.jpg

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Kim going off on Howard, very well done. The best acting I have seen out of her yet.

I think Gus’ thugs are much better when they don’t talk. The black dude had more dialog in this episode than all of BB I think.

The rest of the episode was meh and I know why I felt that way. Jimmy/Saul not being an attorney is not as interesting. The interview and him looking for a job is getting old already and I have a feeling it will go on all season. How long will this show air for and how many seasons will we miss out on Saul actually being an attorney.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Four men standing around Hector, nobody wanting to talk, lol. Awkward and scary.

The Kim/Howard confrontation was brilliant. She's livid with his lack of tact, he has no grasp of the crap that Jimmy has had to deal with from Chuck. Great scene.

The scene with Gus standing over Nacho as Arturo suffocates is a fantastic HOLY %^$&^ moment.

And Jimmy ripping into those poor copier sales execs while scheming the theft of a porcelain doll? Hilarious.

This show is rounding into form, between genuine funny moments, real heart on Kim's part, and scheming business/crime. Love it.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Jimmy is a piece of ****, just like Chuck. Howard is a victim of their dumpster fire of a relationship.

That's a very good point but Howard has proven that he mostly acts in his own or the firm's best interest. I was surprised how much latitude he gave Chuck when he was going after Jimmy. In the real world I would think Howard wants no part of that.

Howard is more refined and savy than Jimmy. I hope they can keep his character around in some manner but the link (Chuck) is gone.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Rhea Seehorn was awesome in that scene with Howard. You just know something is going to happen with Kim that forces Jimmy to go full Saul and when it happens, I'm gonna breakdown.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
This season atleast regarding Jimmy has been boring, the other side stuff is good stuff. Just waiting for Himmy to go dark or bad and ditch Kim and all of that stuff that obviously occurs.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Question for everyone: in breaking bad, why does
Walt kill Mike?
a friend had a theoey way different than what I thought so I want everyone's opinion

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Walt kill Mike?
a friend had a theoey way different than what I thought so I want everyone's opinion

Well, let's hear it?

Mine would be he could have ratted him out. These guys all had the potential to flip on each other. Mike never actually killed anyone. There was also that. Mike was just the money man. Walt was while not the leader of the operation, he was the brains of it creating the product. Mike also being an ex cop probably had leverage in his favor that if he was accused of anything it would be hard to believe.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Walt kill Mike?
No half measures, that's why. Walt didn't kill Mike in the heat of the moment, he intended to kill him. Mike had repeatedly bruised his ego, so there was a personal angle there, but Walt also needed to make sure he wouldn't face any reprisals from Mike when he killed all his guys.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
No half measures, that's why. Walt didn't kill Mike in the heat of the moment, he intended to kill him. Mike had repeatedly bruised his ego, so there was a personal angle there, but Walt also needed to make sure he wouldn't face any reprisals from Mike when he killed all his guys.

Mike bruised his ego because Walter was a paranoid dick. Walt was a narcissstic greedy asshole. He wanted to be a king pin. All Mike tried to do was point out that just because you could produce the best product didn't mean Walter was invincible. Walt couldn't stand that Mike had guys who needed a cut and if they didn't get it there would be consequences. Walter became consumed. He turned everyone close to him against him. I mean think of Jesse, all he did was beat the kid down emotionally to make sure things were okay for Walt. But when shit hit the fan Walt was willing to give Jesse up in a heartbeat. He never cared about Jesse, he cared about his own best interests. Jesse was nothing but an open door. But we all know how it worked out. Jesse figured out Walt tried to harm the child of his girlfriend. I think Mike for example genuinely cared for Jesse but Jesse was mostly a dumbass destructing himself. He tried to convince the kid to not become him and in the process I think Mike had his own revelation. It's too bad he wasn't around for when Walt finally got screwed.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
That was an amazing episode
Well, let's hear it?

I think he took Mike's gun so Mike wouldn't be tempted to use it and he killed him in rage when provoked (Mike calling him out on his f***ups).

The explanation that he gave (shot him because he wouldn't give up the names) makes no sense as he can't tell him if he's dead.

The no half measure thing also makes sense to me, can't have a loose end.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Walt kill Mike?

He wanted the names of Mike's people but that's not the core reason. There was always tension between the two and a bit of a power struggle after they agree to work together. Mike had recently locked Walt up to prevent the sale of the precurser. Also agree above regarding Mike and Jesse's relationship, Walt was a bit jealous as he was losing influence over Jesse. It was one more step towards Walt breaking bad - believing he was the Kingpin. He seems to instantly regret it telling Mike he could of got the names from Lydia. I don't believe it was planned, more heat of the moment.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Kim getting so upset was interesting. The letter did not sound like Chuck at all, almost like she wrote it. Jimmy has zero emotion regarding Chuck which is a bit strange. I get what they're going for but...

Interesting to see Gus' plans to cut the Cartel out.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'll have to watch the Gale scene again. I thought he had cooked the three batches himself, but after reading some recaps it seems like he was analyzing three different samples to determine who had the best stuff (aka who Gus should contact).

Edit: Also didn't connect Jimmy's accomplice as another BB alumnus. The way the shot the scene, they lingered on his close up as if it was expected that the viewer would recognize the character, but I drew a blank.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
I'll have to watch the Gale scene again. I thought he had cooked the three batches himself, but after reading some recaps it seems like he was analyzing three different samples to determine who had the best stuff (aka who Gus should contact).

Edit: Also didn't connect Jimmy's accomplice as another BB alumnus. The way the shot the scene, they lingered on his close up as if it was expected that the viewer would recognize the character, but I drew a blank.
Gale said that the three he tested was pretty shitty and that he could cook up much better. ”I can have a kilo ready in a few days”

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Yeah, I was a little mentally checked out by that point of the episode (I miss having the East Coast feed at 6pm). I thought it went something like Gale had already cooked up three batches but of poor quality, and that he was telling Gus that he was getting better.

But definitely fun to see that we're slowly getting to the BB timeline with Lydia/Gus buying the laundromat and Gale eventually setting up the lab.

Also was curious what everybody's take was on the Kim scene with the bankers. Was she expressing some concern that the bank was expanding too quickly and/or that her workload was going to increase as a result? Or maybe some foreshadowing that she'd have to relocate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad