TV: Better Call Saul - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Kim getting so upset was interesting. The letter did not sound like Chuck at all, almost like she wrote it. Jimmy has zero emotion regarding Chuck which is a bit strange. I get what they're going for but...

Interesting to see Gus' plans to cut the Cartel out.

I figured maybe it was Howard who wrote that mumbo jumbo.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Also was curious what everybody's take was on the Kim scene with the bankers. Was she expressing some concern that the bank was expanding too quickly and/or that her workload was going to increase as a result? Or maybe some foreshadowing that she'd have to relocate?

I think it was the former - that she could be in over her head with work and burn out. We saw the beginning of her burning out with the car crash and her going to Blockbuster to rent a bunch of movies.

It could be that she relocates, though. One way or another, she leaves Jimmy's life for the Breaking Bad portion of the timeline. I think it's more likely based on Jimmy going crooked and them breaking up, but we'll see.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
He wanted the names of Mike's people but that's not the core reason. There was always tension between the two and a bit of a power struggle after they agree to work together. Mike had recently locked Walt up to prevent the sale of the precurser. Also agree above regarding Mike and Jesse's relationship, Walt was a bit jealous as he was losing influence over Jesse. It was one more step towards Walt breaking bad - believing he was the Kingpin. He seems to instantly regret it telling Mike he could of got the names from Lydia. I don't believe it was planned, more heat of the moment.

Mike also could have wasted Walt earlier on but Walt swwet talked his way out of it. Walt aq Mike as a threat or whatever. They placed tracking devices on Walt's property and when Mike came to take them he told Walt it' not a bad thing to have someone watching your back. I think Mike wanted to like Walt but Walt's ego made him unlikable. He always looked down on Mike. Walter just couldn't stay in his lane. He knew the chemistry but he couldn't stay out of the business, even when working for Gus. He escalated all the problems. Mike saw Walter as a cancer. I think of the train incident with the kid that ended up being at the wrong place at the wrong time and Todd shoots him and kills him. That move seemed to really impact Mike and Jesse. Mike had a granddaughter that he cared about fiondly. He knew his time in the business was about up so he made sure to set her up financially before he got busted or killed. Jesse had a girlfriend with a son. He wasnt the father but maybe it got him for the first time to think about life beyond himself. Walt had two kids of his own and didn't bat much of an eye. He got even worse. His life spiraled so far out of control he kidnaps their baby and fights with his wife. Walt felt like a loser before he became meth god. His brother in law would always crap on him and stuff. Being a kingpin in his own mind gave him purpose. He was a nice and smart guy who fell victim to gaining power.. He wanted respect because he never had it, he felt like he was the butt of jokes. He took it all too seriously, his family really cared for him, he just couldn't take any jokes or anything.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Also was curious what everybody's take was on the Kim scene with the bankers. Was she expressing some concern that the bank was expanding too quickly and/or that her workload was going to increase as a result? Or maybe some foreshadowing that she'd have to relocate?

I think she came to the realization that, "I'm killing myself so they can build banks in bum f*** America? This is me?" She looked into that one building to see two little people in there. Maybe she feels like those small people,

Could be wrong obviously

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009

She's overwhelmed for sure. But I think she also knows she's on the way out with the bank which is why she said she had to go to the courthouse to her paralegal. I think she was checking out some sort of filings...maybe Howard stealing the client is in the future. She would not be able to handle large expansion of the bank as a solo attorney.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Yeah I think it was pretty much she was overwhelmed at the prospect. She barely got through the 1st opening and she's blindsided by all the planning. Complete with models while she had no clue.

I assume the pay would make up for it and she could hire at least another person to help help. The most simple thing to do is to hire Jimmy to help while he can not practice. The disconnect there makes no sense.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I think she came to the realization that, "I'm killing myself so they can build banks in bum **** America? This is me?" She looked into that one building to see two little people in there. Maybe she feels like those small people,

Could be wrong obviously
That's how I saw it. She busted her ass and left a great position with an amazing firm to focus on one client that probably isn't worth it. If she stayed with HHM, she likely could have been one of their top lawyers and eventually started her own firm with someone more prestigious than Jimmy. Now she almost killed herself, her law partner can't practice for a year, and her only client is looking to expand, and she can't handle that alone.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I am willing to be that Kim wrote that letter. No doubt. and when he finds the real one... will that be the end of them?

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
By about the 2nd paragraph I was thinking she'd written the letter, but then I realized that may be the obvious ploy they're going for. I saw others discuss the scene and some feel her breakdown is due to Jimmy not caring at all, where in earlier times he would have, and she's realizing he's changed a lot. Each sounds as plausible as the other, I suppose.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I am willing to be that Kim wrote that letter. No doubt. and when he finds the real one... will that be the end of them?

Shit, that a great theory but Chuck never really respected him so what iof the one he wrote wasnt all that better? Could he really be that mad that her fake letter was nicer than his real one? They obviously end somehow and it fully breaks him that he doesn't care what he does going forward.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I also don't think it matches Kim's personality to write that. She also didn't get it to him right away, presumably because of how Jimmy was taking his brothers death (not talking at all then acting like it didn't even happen).

If Chuck didn't write it, I think his ex-wife did. She didn't really understand how much Chuck and Jimmy's relationship disintegrated (even though she was at the bar hearing) so it makes sense she would try to repair it post-mortem with a "loving" letter.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
In a review I read, the theory floated is that it was written when Jimmy was working in the mail room, but due to his mental issues and schedule, never got around to updating after Jimmy became an attorney and started to tarnish the practice that Chuck held in such high regard.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I can see maybe Howard or Kim maybe writing and replacing a letter from Chuck where be is belittling Jimmy or blaming him. That letter sounds nothing like Chuck -. Less for Howard because I doubt he cares that much.

Kim - she see's almost no emotion out of Jimmy since Chuck's death. She changes the letter and gets the same reaction, bam breaks down.

Reactions: TP

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Pretty rapid expansion plans for the bank, what are the odds they are connected to money laundering Meth money?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I'm kinda thinking it's from when Jimmy was in the mail room.
Sounds like a letter Chuck would write to belittle Jimmy, disguised as an "attaboy".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad