TV: Better Call Saul - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
So, about last night episode, maybe my english is not good enough or the problem is my knowledge of law, but what was Kim doing at court, with the judge? What did the judge accused her of doing and why should we care?

Your English is fine. I have no idea either.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I thought this show would be one season max of setting up Jimmy's downfall. Then I thought the show would be a few seasons of "Better Call Saul" law firm shenanigans until it eventually catches up with BB's timeline.

It really is going too slow. I still watch it and enjoy it. But it could be so much better.

This really could have been a 4 season show. How many are they gunning for?

Haven't seen nearly enough Jimmy in law action.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
So, about last night episode, maybe my english is not good enough or the problem is my knowledge of law, but what was Kim doing at court, with the judge? What did the judge accused her of doing and why should we care?

She is trying to find some meaning in her law career besides working for a bank by watching some court room action and maybe catching a case. In real life, municipal court like this is extremely boring and non-eventful. Trust me, I've spent many long hours in a courtroom waiting for a case to be heard or listening to routine procedural matters (I'm not an attorney, just used to have a lot of court cases I was involved with in a previous job). Nobody sits there unless they have too. The scene made very little sense.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
She is trying to find some meaning in her law career besides working for a bank by watching some court room action and maybe catching a case. In real life, municipal court like this is extremely boring and non-eventful. Trust me, I've spent many long hours in a courtroom waiting for a case to be heard or listening to routine procedural matters (I'm not an attorney, just used to have a lot of court cases I was involved with in a previous job). Nobody sits there unless they have too. The scene made very little sense.

Eh I thought the cases that Kim was sitting in on were pretty boring. A big city tends to have more exciting cases then these on a regular basis, so I don't think the scene was particularly unrealistic either. Kim seemed to know the judge (maybe he was her professor, or she clerked for him). I didn't have a problem with the scene personally.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Kim and Jimmy's storylines just seem like filler... Can we get past his suspension already. The two brothers going ham on the crew was interesting, maybe a little unrealistic but fun.

I don't think Kim is around during BB for whatever reason but there is almost none of his homelife. He hits on Franchesca once and his overall demeanor kind of indicates he's single. Plus when he needs to be relocated nobody else is with him. Doesn't mean Kim can't comeback in one of the flash forwards. The show is taking too long to get where it needs to go. The character Saul from his BB 1st episode was dead on - soo good. So many great scenes in that one episode and one liners. It's one of my favorites. It's almost like they are trying to overly humanize a character we like better with out knowing.... The journey of Jimmy is not all that interesting.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
My personal opinion is that the judge thought she was trolling for work. Out of work lawyers sometimes hang around courthouses looking for people to represent. As to why the judge didn't like that, I dunno. As far as Kim herself goes, I think she's feeling overwhelmed by Mesa Verde and wanted to go back to seeing genuine in-court lawyering. That's just a guess on my part, though.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The Judge did offer her a case, but then told her to GTFO of his courtroom, but yet she's still there; puzzling.

I did like Mike's group session though. Next thing you know the season's over and still nothing is happening. Better call Saul.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The Judge did offer her a case, but then told her to GTFO of his courtroom, but yet she's still there; puzzling.

I did like Mike's group session though. Next thing you know the season's over and still nothing is happening. Better call Saul.
The judge didn't offer her a case at all, he presented her a case from a movie as if it were real and then told her that's a fantasy that doesn't happen in real life. The judge tried to talk her out of hanging around his courtroom as he looked uncomfortable with her watching him.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The judge didn't offer her a case at all, he presented her a case from a movie as if it were real and then told her that's a fantasy that doesn't happen in real life. The judge tried to talk her out of hanging around his courtroom as he looked uncomfortable with her watching him.
I'll have to rewatch that part, and why would the judge care if she sits in his courtroom? To be continued...

Judge Smails

How 'bout a Fresca?
Jan 20, 2004
Bushwood CC
I'll have to rewatch that part, and why would the judge care if she sits in his courtroom? To be continued...

She’s bored/frustrated with her law work, maybe fantasizing a bit about what else she could be doing. Judge is older, and as they say has “seen this sort of thing before.” He uses the movie anecdote to make her realize that there probably isn’t some great adventure waiting for her in a courtroom, and that she should be happy with what she has and make a lot of money doing it. It’s his way of giving career advice.

In some, maybe all or most states, judges can basically draft a lawyer to serve as a public defender (which is what he “threatened” her with as she left) if he saw her in his courtroom again. When she shows back up in the courtroom after the recess, it’s her way of telling him (and the viewers) that she wants something other than Mesa Verde.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Now that Jimmy is working at a place that sells phones, I fully expect to find out how Saul ended up with a Hello Kitty phone.

Reactions: Ozz

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Now that Jimmy is working at a place that sells phones, I fully expect to find out how Saul ended up with a Hello Kitty phone.

I blurted out mention of the Hello Kitty phone when Jimmy's partner mentioned "new job, new phone", and that's probably where he picked up the idea to keep various phones around.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
She’s bored/frustrated with her law work, maybe fantasizing a bit about what else she could be doing. Judge is older, and as they say has “seen this sort of thing before.” He uses the movie anecdote to make her realize that there probably isn’t some great adventure waiting for her in a courtroom, and that she should be happy with what she has and make a lot of money doing it. It’s his way of giving career advice.

In some, maybe all or most states, judges can basically draft a lawyer to serve as a public defender (which is what he “threatened” her with as she left) if he saw her in his courtroom again. When she shows back up in the courtroom after the recess, it’s her way of telling him (and the viewers) that she wants something other than Mesa Verde.

Mmm that's what they are possibly implying - she's bored. It doesn't fit with how they built her character up. She was relegated to filing at HHM at one point, get's her own practice and has some success. Car accident and she has second thoughts - maybe she wants to be in the court room more as opposed to what she's doing. I guess I'm saying I'm not crazy about the overall storyline with her. It's not interesting and scattered. She went from hustling to bored in the matter of a few episodes. The legal aspect of the show which can be entertaining is totally being neglected.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm thinking...

1. She's bored with all the clerical work that Mesa Verde is, and misses litigating
1a. As the judge said, perhaps trying to rediscover her love for the law
2. Maybe she's trying to get a hold of what Jimmy would be coming back to if he becomes a lawyer again, because that's where this series started, with Jimmy handling those random cases
2a. She's clearly concerned with his well-being and mental state, trying to get a read on whether or not getting back into law will be good for him?

3. I have no idea

Nacho is the most interesting character in this show. Kind of sucks that we know he makes it out of this series alive, though. And I don't mean that it sucks that he lives, but I mean that it sucks that his ending isn't really up in the air.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Kim seems to be realizing that leaving HHM to go out on her own to have one client, a bank, is not what she hoped it would be. She went to the courthouse to try and get a case where she could actually use her law expertise as a public defendant and did it for free.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Saul referring Francesca to an unnamed lawyer with a "tell 'em Jimmy sent you" is interesting. First thought was that he was referring her to Kim, but I later remembered Francesca worked (briefly) for both of them.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Saul referring Francesca to an unnamed lawyer with a "tell 'em Jimmy sent you" is interesting. First thought was that he was referring her to Kim, but I later remembered Francesca worked (briefly) for both of them.

My default thought was Howard, and I didn't think past that. Let's see how/if it plays out.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Howard's look when Jimmy asks what's eating him :laugh:

I wonder if it's Howard or Kim (or another yet to be named lawyer) in the flash forward scene. I also wonder why she has to call in November, I'm guessing we'll find out.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Another ho hum episode. This season feels like i'm watching Lodge 49 for another hour every Monday. I actually like that show but it has no real plot, this has a plot that is just stalled.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Yea, I'm a big fan of the show but it's moving pretty slow right now. Someone on reddit suggested we may be in for a big time skip, I'd be down for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad