Best USA hockey States

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Palmieri may have moved to N J and developed as a player there but he's a NY kid.

The fact that he was raised and developed in NJ makes him an NJ product. I’d find it difficult to believe he would consider himself a NY kid. All of his formative years were in NJ. Same with someone like John Carlson.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The fact that he was raised and developed in NJ makes him an NJ product. I’d find it difficult to believe he would consider himself a NY kid. All of his formative years were in NJ. Same with someone like John Carlson.
This is like kids in school in the 4th grade arguing over the Statue of Liberty again

Reactions: Newsworthy

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

Have you ever been south of Springfield ? Or are you in an Arlington/Fairfax bubble. Just because the caps practice in Ballston doesn’t make VA anything even close to a hockey state. NASCAR is way ahead, as are all the college majors and track.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Have you ever been south of Springfield ? Or are you in an Arlington/Fairfax bubble. Just because the caps practice in Ballston doesn’t make VA anything even close to a hockey state. NASCAR is way ahead, as are all the college majors and track.

Visit Arizona.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Why isn't hockey popular in Iowa? Terrible winters, proximity to Minnesota

Because they play football and basketball instead. Or they wrestle. That being said, there are a number of USHL teams here and an AHL team. Plus club hockey at the universities.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
NY MASS MINNY not exactly in that order but those three to me are hockey states

Really, no Michigan with our(what seems like) 100 AAA teams and great high school hockey on top of some NAHL, USHL and OHL teams. Also add in the 5 D1 programs.

I know it’s about players from particular states but my point is valid.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
In terms of talent level of youth programs

1) Minnesota
gap

2) Michigan
3) Massachusetts/Upstate New York/New England area ( I know multiple states, but one region)

Big Gap

Distant 4th is Illinois, and then probably California believe it or not.

How is there a gap between Minnesota and Michigan?

I’m talking from a pure talent level throughout both states, they are dead even. Both have great High school but Michigan has a boatload more of AAA teams, whereas, like I mentioned, Minnesota focuses on high school hockey for development.

jarboy

Dec 27, 2007
How is there a gap between Minnesota and Michigan?

I’m talking from a pure talent level throughout both states, they are dead even. Both have great High school but Michigan has a boatload more of AAA teams, whereas, like I mentioned, Minnesota focuses on high school hockey for development.
A lot of Minnesota kids do USHL combined with or instead of High School

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Really, no Michigan with our(what seems like) 100 AAA teams and great high school hockey on top of some NAHL, USHL and OHL teams. Also add in the 5 D1 programs.

I know it’s about players from particular states but my point is valid.
Great high school hockey? Certainly not top tier in Michy. Remember Minny doesn’t play AAA in the winter.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Great high school hockey? Certainly not top tier in Michy. Remember Minny doesn’t play AAA in the winter.

Michigan high school hockey has always been solid. On a scale of talent level, IMO, Minny might be a 10, whereas Michigan is a 9. There’s tons of players from Michigan who move on to the USHL, NAHL and D1 NCAA programs. No one ever sees that though.

What I’m saying is there are definitely teams in Michigan who are as good as the Edina’s, Eden Praries etc.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Michigan high school hockey has always been solid. On a scale of talent level, IMO, Minny might be a 10, whereas Michigan is a 9. There’s tons of players from Michigan who move on to the USHL, NAHL and D1 NCAA programs. No one ever sees that though.

What I’m saying is there are definitely teams in Michigan who are as good as the Edina’s, Eden Praries etc.
You are kidding yourself man .

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
You are kidding yourself man .

I played in a tournament (high school tournament) against all star teams from Wisconsin, Minnesota etc in 2010(yes, I know 9 years ago) but we won the tourney with team Michigan against players like Max McCormick, Ethan Prow, Ben Marshall, Alex Lyon, Casey Nelson.
I believe even Bjugstad played a game. Could be wrong.

Players that went D1 and Pro. Michigan is a solid high school hockey state.

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
A look over the last 20 or so years of Team USA hockey rosters would probably give you at least some direction.

Aka - Minnesota, Mass, NY, and Michigan

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Hockey in California will keep growing only as long as new rinks are being built. Youth programs are near capacity. Roller hockey is great for growing interest in the sport and for high end players looking to get more playing time without the added travel and ice costs. Most of the top AAA kids out here have roots in roller hockey.

The argument that top athletes only play football isnt exactly true. There are a lot more kids that play baseball basketball and football so odds dictate that they will get better athletes due to a larger pool, but in California kids generally latch onto a sport pretty young these days (if playing at a high level) and stick to that primary sport so it becomes a matter of catching those kids when they are young.

The issue California has is that local communities do not pay for rinks the way they do for other sports. If that were to ever change the sport would blow up because it is so much more exciting than any other youth sport in my opinion and people in California are crazy about sports.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
I played in a tournament (high school tournament) against all star teams from Wisconsin, Minnesota etc in 2010(yes, I know 9 years ago) but we won the tourney with team Michigan against players like Max McCormick, Ethan Prow, Ben Marshall, Alex Lyon, Casey Nelson.
I believe even Bjugstad played a game. Could be wrong.

Players that went D1 and Pro. Michigan is a solid high school hockey state.
Half those guys are from Green Bay and small town northern MN. Sorry those teams were not of significance. It just doesn’t compare man. That doesn’t mean Michigan is a bad hockey state however because it’s not.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017

And to add to the last part.. Edina would smoke LC, BT, Oakland, Fox Motors etc as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad