Best USA hockey States

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Never said “top tier” but one in the rise. Perhaps read my post.

I know you didn't, but this thread is asking Best USA Hockey States, so mentioning Arizona makes no sense in that instance.

Didn't get the impression he was saying Arizona is up there with Minnesota, but rather that he's pointing out hockey seems to be on the rise in Arizona. It's something, given the perception that hockey is dead in the state.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Minnesota wins, and don't call us Minny.

Big school state tournament starts today. Brings people from all over the state together.

HIGH SCHOOL hockey does this:
2015_Boys_AA_Championship_game_at_the_Xcel_Energy_Center.jpg

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
States with the most Div I NCAA teams:

Massachusetts: 10
New York: 10
Michigan: 7
Minnesota: 5
Connecticut: 4

Still the Northeast (New York/New England) vs. the Great Lakes (Minn and Michigan) for the most part.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The problem that states like California and Tennessee are going to run into is that the cost of AAA hockey is cost prohibitive for a lot of kids. There will be diminishing returns in the growth.

The advantage states like Minnesota, Michigan, Mass, New York, Wisconsin, etc... have is some form of community-based system.

That is really what spurred, and continues to spur, the growth of youth hockey in Minnesota.

The cost difference and opportunity to play youth hockey at a high level in Minnesota and places like California and Tennesse is insane.
NHL teams in California have really supported youth hockey with money, equipment and involvement. The growth of the game in the state has really been booming.

Reactions: razor ray

MNState0fHockey

Jun 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
NHL teams in California have really supported youth hockey with money, equipment and involvement. The growth of the game in the state has really been booming.

No doubt, but AAA hockey has diminishing returns. It is expensive. It costs over 3-5 times as much to play hockey in California compared to say Minnesota (including the difference in travel costs). Less and less kids who aren’t already playing will be able to commit the $3,500-$7,000 plus travel expenses to play. That growth rate in California will slow.

The one thing California does have going for it is population size. But I doubt California ever produces as many players as Minnesota, Michigan, Mass, etc... i just don’t see community-based hockey ever getting to the level it is in those states.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
No doubt, but AAA hockey has diminishing returns. It is expensive. It costs over 3-5 times as much to play hockey in California compared to say Minnesota (including the difference in travel costs). That growth rate in California will slow.

The one thing California does have going for it is population size. But I doubt California ever produces as many players as Minnesota, Michigan, Mass, etc... i just don’t see community-based hockey ever getting to the level it is in those states.
Well, I don't see it as a competition with other states as much as it's just a case of growing the pie. It's good for the game.

Reactions: rynryn

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
I’m surprised how not popular it is here in Vermont, given we’re wedged between the hockey hotbeds of Montreal and Boston. Perhaps it’s because nowhere in the state is flat enough to build a rink.

It is surprising for me. I thought that NHL is more popular than NBA in New England.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
It’s pretty funny how little respect NY is getting here.

Nhl teams are littered with New York raised players. High pick superstars like Patrick Kane and Joe Mullen. Cup winners like Gionta and Dustin Brown.

Tons of young guys still up and coming or just entering the league.

And that doesn’t factor in that most of these players are all pulled from upstate, away from nyc’s population and money. You probably are looking at around 5 million or so people max in upstate that produce that talent.

Minnesota, Massachusetts, Michigan, NY in that order and on a tier above every other state.

Heads up to some of our non-American friend the District of Columbia is not a state, it’s basically an oversized federal city.

I mean, almost everyone is putting (upstate) NY in the tier with the 3 Ms. Not sure I’d say NY is getting “little respect.”

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Minnesota is definitely the top producer of defense

McDonagh, Faulk, Goligoski, N. Schmidt, Braun, Byfuglien, Niskanen, Leddy, Skjei, E.Johnson, P.Martin, Gardiner, Pionk, N.Jensen, Forbort

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
As a St. Paul native it pains me to say this but I think Buffalo is the best pure hockey market in the USA. Twin Cities are too big, becoming more diverse and have the other 3 major sports teams. Buffalo's NHL TV viewership always amazes me. They are always at the top and we know the Sabres haven't making playoff runs recently. Twin Cities have better youth programs and produce more talent, but i think more people per capita follow hockey in Buffalo.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
I always wondered why Montana wasn't a big producer of hockey players, but then I went there and realized that it is empty.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The problem that states like California and Tennessee are going to run into is that the cost of AAA hockey is cost prohibitive for a lot of kids. There will be diminishing returns in the growth.

The advantage states like Minnesota, Michigan, Mass, New York, Wisconsin, etc... have is some form of community-based system.

That is really what spurred, and continues to spur, the growth of youth hockey in Minnesota.

The cost difference and opportunity to play youth hockey at a high level in Minnesota and places like California and Tennesse is insane.
That's a good point, but I remember reading that when it came to traveling sports team soccer was just as expensive as hockey is. I would consider it more of a problem when you factor in equipment. Only part I disagree is that California won't be able to surpass that wall, sure that state has some chaos in it, but there are a whole bunch of rich people moving in the area. I think the good weather poses more of a problem than any income issues.

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
As a St. Paul native it pains me to say this but I think Buffalo is the best pure hockey market in the USA. Twin Cities are too big, becoming more diverse and have the other 3 major sports teams. Buffalo's NHL TV viewership always amazes me. They are always at the top and we know the Sabres haven't making playoff runs recently. Twin Cities have better youth programs and produce more talent, but i think more people per capita follow hockey in Buffalo.

Ok, but I guess that northern parts of Minnesota like hockey more than Twin Cities.

Reactions: IceBoxHockey

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Minny is and always will be the GOAT. Followed closely by Michy and Massy.

Didn't include NY because I can't give them a hockey slang nickname so therefore, they are eliminated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->