Best USA hockey States

MNState0fHockey

Jun 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
You somewhat oddly don't seem to know the UW men's hockey team has six national titles, ranking fourth best in college hockey history.

The UW woman's hockey team has 4 NCAA titles, making a total of TEN for the Big10 school. Both teams have a lot of homegrown players.

The Milwaukee Admirals won the AHL Calder Cup in 2004, sweeping the WBS Penguins. That is a league that had 28 teams at the time.

Wisconsin has no NHL team, but has a few players who came from here. Perhaps you recognize Joe Pavelski, Phil Kessel, Ryan Suter, Gary Suter, Drew Stafford, Craig Smith and Alex Galchenyuk, to name a few.

Despite roughly the same population of Minnesota, Wisconsin has less than half the amount of youth players. While Minnesota has produced 282 NHL players all-time, Wisconsin has produced just 40.

I was born in Minnesota, went to college in Western Wisconsin, and have lived in Milwaukee the last 20+ years. While hockey is pretty big in Western Wisconsin, hockey interest is virtually non-existent in the Eastern half of the state.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Its always gonna be Minnesota. The grassroots are the best in the world outside of Canada and maybe small pockets of Scandanavia. Michigan or NY may occasionally have a better group of pros because they have much more people than Minnesota, but on a per capita level it is not even a competition.

Reactions: MNState0fHockey

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’ve lived in both Minnesota and Massachusetts and I have to admit that at the youth level, across demographics, Minnesota is far superior in terms of promoting and developing the game for young kids. I grew up in Massachusetts and while there are some very good and prestigious programs generally in private schools, the game isn’t nearly as big as you may think outside of that at the youth level.

However, the New England region (that is the six states of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Connecticut) is unrivaled in my opinion for college hockey.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2