Best USA hockey States

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
No doubt, but AAA hockey has diminishing returns. It is expensive. It costs over 3-5 times as much to play hockey in California compared to say Minnesota (including the difference in travel costs). Less and less kids who aren’t already playing will be able to commit the $3,500-$7,000 plus travel expenses to play. That growth rate in California will slow.

The one thing California does have going for it is population size. But I doubt California ever produces as many players as Minnesota, Michigan, Mass, etc... i just don’t see community-based hockey ever getting to the level it is in those states.

The population size and money is a thing for sure.

But the biggest difference between a state like California and the other newer markets vs Minnesota, is that the best pure athletes in California are all going to play football or baseball or soccer. Every once in a while they might get lucky and catch a young kid early and get them to fall in love.

In Minnesota, as I’m sure you will tell any doubters, the kids all want to play hockey. The 6’3” 200lber that would play football in most states is your second pair defenseman at Eden Prairie or whichever top notch school you choose.

They get the cream of the crop year in and year out. With free ice available 5 months of the year.

All hail the north.

Reactions: blood gin

MNState0fHockey

Jun 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
That's a good point, but I remember reading that when it came to traveling sports team soccer was just as expensive as hockey is. I would consider it more of a problem when you factor in equipment. Only part I disagree is that California won't be able to surpass that wall, sure that state has some chaos in it, but there are a whole bunch of rich people moving in the area. I think the good weather poses more of a problem than any income issues.

The difference is you don’t need ice to play soccer. In Minnesota, most communities have a sheet of indoor ice, if not 2-3, and plenty of outdoor rinks for practice.

I don’t think there is any way California builds up its youth programs to the level of established hockey states unless it builds up its community programs. And I don’t think that happens because of the infrastructure investment it would require.

That doesn’t mean I think CA won’t produce great players or that hockey in CA won’t grow, but I do think that growth will slow before they get to the levels you see elsewhere.

My $0.02

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The difference is you don’t need ice to play soccer. In Minnesota, most communities have a sheet of indoor ice, if not 2-3, and plenty of outdoor rinks for practice.

I don’t think there is any way California builds up its youth programs to the level of established hockey states unless it builds up its community programs. And I don’t think that happens because of the infrastructure investment it would require.

That doesn’t mean I think CA won’t produce great players or that hockey in CA won’t grow, but I do think that growth will slow before they get to the levels you see elsewhere.

My $0.02
There are two states off the top of my head where I suggest that another type of hockey is more popular which can eventually help a player reach the NHL if they have the talent.

What I am talking about here is roller hockey and the states I am thinking of are Hawai'i and California - probably can add Florida to that list. Roller hockey, though requires equipment, it is also much cheaper to player due to a lack of physicality and necessary equipment. Then over time if the player becomes good enough, a parent then shell out some money for things like ice skates, chest pads, and what not. Emerson Etem is one player who played roller hockey for a long portion.

MNState0fHockey

Jun 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
There are two states off the top of my head where I suggest that another type of hockey is more popular which can eventually help a player reach the NHL if they have the talent.

What I am talking about here is roller hockey and the states I am thinking of are Hawai'i and California - probably can add Florida to that list. Roller hockey, though requires equipment, it is also much cheaper to player due to a lack of physicality and necessary equipment. Then over time if the player becomes good enough, a parent then shell out some money for things like ice skates, chest pads, and what not. Emerson Etem is one player who played roller hockey for a long portion.

Interesting point. That could very well be the case. I guess we have to wait and see. I still think the best way to really grow the sport in an area is to invest in a community-driven youth hockey system. But hey, wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong

Reactions: S E P H

quacktastic93

Dec 9, 2017
"Adding "eh" to a sentence can indicate the speaker's willingness to accept dissent or to invite further discussion. Has been referred to as an "articulated question mark."

The interpretation of "eh" as carrying meaning beyond other routine interjections (huh?) is supposed to be uniquely Canadian. "Ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed" is how the Canadian Oxford Dictionary puts it.
"Let's do something, eh?" -- where 'eh' is 'do you agree?'
"We could get a pizza, eh?" -- where 'eh' is 'if you would like to'
"I don't know about that, eh?" -- where 'eh' is 'but perhaps I might be convinced if you explained further'
"What's that, eh?" -- where 'eh' is 'I would appreciate, friend of mine, hearing your interpretation'
"The beer's cheap here, eh?" -- where 'eh' is 'so what would you like to do about that'
"It's after last call, eh?" -- where 'eh' is 'were you aware'"

"An interjection or prompt spoken by Canadians.
Equivalent to the American "huh?" or "right?"
Usually used to prompt a person to respond to what was said. or to indicate a lack of understanding.
1) Joe: That girl is hot, eh?
Dave: You're damn right.

2) Dave: The dog is red and the sky is grey.
Joe: Eh??"
Americans should get it fairly easy since alot of us use yea? Instead of eh, same thing really. Example would be, lets go to the store yea?

quacktastic93

Dec 9, 2017
New Jersey's high school hockey programs and youth clubs have effectively *exploded* over the last two decades. Couple that with the fact that the Garden State is effectively home to three NHL fan bases (even though only one matters :naughty:) and New Jersey is supremely underrated as a hockey hotbed.
How could anyone sleep on bobby ryan from Cherryhill nj

Reactions: New Jersey

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
North Dakota is pretty hockey mad. At least Grand Forks is. Pretty sure it’s a State Law that if there are 3 or more people walking together at least 50% must be wearing Sioux gear...
It’s nuts..always impressed and a little in awe how crazy they are down there for NCAA hockey.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad