OT: Best Pizza in Edmonton

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
LOVE Pizza on Jasper and 109 is pretty damn good. I'm a fan of thin crust, so Famoso is one place I enjoy as well. My guilty pleasure though is BPs spicy perogy, I can't eat anything else from there due to a decade of eating there on the road, as well as the decline in the quality of their product, but that perogy pizza always gets me.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
So, little off topic but what about best Chinese food in Edmonton? I always go to tasty noodle but I wouldn't mind trying something new on my next visit.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
BulGoGi House. Its Korean, but I usually sell people on the place as being super high quality Chinese.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I can't believe Versatos on 50th street and 127th Ave isn't getting any love. It's amazing.

I mentioned it and so did someone else but i agree it should be on everyone's list. :handclap:

CGOGG62U8AAl38D.jpg

It's even thicker than it looks...

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
BulGoGi House. Its Korean, but I usually sell people on the place as being super high quality Chinese.

+1 for BBulGoGi...haven't been in a while, but used to go quite often.

I have a soft spot for Lee garden...they are friends of my wifes family, and were at our wedding. they gave a very generous wedding gift, and always looked after us when we went.

Doans off Whyte is a really good place as well IMO

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I went to Franko's in Callingwood the other day and was blown away by their pizza. Best I have had is a long time. Probably since the original Pharos shut down on 109st. Highly recommended.

http://www.francos.ca/
They use to have a damn good lasagna. I went for lunch and it was like 6 bucks and i couldn't even eat the whole thing. I was just amazed.
I mentioned it and so did someone else but i agree it should be on everyone's list. :handclap:

CGOGG62U8AAl38D.jpg

It's even thicker than it looks...
My god, looks damn good.
So, little off topic but what about best Chinese food in Edmonton? I always go to tasty noodle but I wouldn't mind trying something new on my next visit.

I don't know what it is but Asian restaurants in general are like liquor stores. They are just every where. For chinesse I really liked Panda Express. Haven't had it for awhile.

I don't know if Nait still has that stir-fry place in the HP center, but there was lady that was in the culinary course there and when she was working she made the best stir-fry ever. She had her own sauce and wasn't afraid to try new things. She would see me coming and she'd pull out some kind of new sauce for me to try. I probably should've pursued that one in hindsight.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
+1 for BBulGoGi...haven't been in a while, but used to go quite often.

I have a soft spot for Lee garden...they are friends of my wifes family, and were at our wedding. they gave a very generous wedding gift, and always looked after us when we went.

Doans off Whyte is a really good place as well IMO

So the best Chinese food in Edmonton is Korean or Vietnamese?:laugh:

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
I went to Grandma's Pizza in Brander Gardens after reading "great reviews" comparing it to Royal Pizza even....

Let me start off first by saying it is garbage!

Grumpy arab owner with his family in there (probably grumpy because that plaza is a death sentence for any business). Pizza overcooked, nothing special about the cheese or tomato sauce, but what really disgusted me was the pepperoni. The entire pizza I was getting hard chunks of cartilage in the pepperoni! I have never had that in any pizza! What kind of cheap cheap cheap meats are they buying that have that? For a rather expensive $20 large pizza this was total garbage.

Anyone who has given this an even decent rating I will say, you don't know what you're talking about. Stay away, go to Pizza 73 instead, at least you save $10 and won't lose a tooth on some cartilage in the pepperoni.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Boston Pizza has always been my favourite.

I haven't been to a BP's in at least 5 years.

The last time I went there, was with my brother for some eats before a movie. We each got the Lasagna, and a beer. We get served what I can only assume is the lunch portion, which could have fit in the palm of my hand. So after a lovely $40 bill, we were still starving and had to fill up on rotten ronnie's after a freakin' sit down meal at a "restaurant."

BP's can suck it.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

The best Chinese food in Edmonton is actually in Spruce Grove. :laugh:

Bing's.

The best I've ever had. Everything is cooked perfectly, and melts in your mouth. The chicken balls in particular are phenomenal.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
*/begin pretentious rant*

Hey, do you guys know of any pizza places that use chemically treated, bleached unknown origin flour that they get for 3 cents/ ton , and combine it with unknown lunchmeat from Sisco school cafeterias and load it up with artificial cheese? Yeah, you do.

Seriously, I can enjoy any style of pizza but it better have decent ingredients and good flavour. Wood fired would help. Anywhere that uses fresh herbs gets bonus points. Some of you LOVE pizza places that ship their sauce in frozen 12-gallon barrels from Taiwan. I'm afraid that leaves me wary of the credibility in here. Cheap shabby crust is probably the worst offence. You can have a great deep dish, you can have a great thin crust. You can also have s***.

I honestly thought I would have a big list of pizzas to order next time I'm in town but instead I'm even more lost than I was before. What is the consensus pick aside from BPs and dominos?

Il Rosso ? Goodfellas?
Rosso, Leva, and Famoso for when you aren't around the first two.

I can't speak towards Goodfellas or Rosebowl. If you need delivery, Papa Murphy's has the best ingredient quality of the chains.

Last edited:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
The Italian Centres have excellent fresh pizza dough, cheeses, olives, and meats if you want to go that route.

I still don't know of a place where you can grab fresh sauce (because I'm too lazy to prepare but motivated enough to assemble), but Rao pizza sauce (in a jar) is a good base to play with.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

In no specific order:

Southside: Golden Rice Bowl, Bejing Bejing, Good Buddy

West: Jumbo Seafood, New Dragon Palace, Shanghai Grill

More traditional Chinese restaurants, so I'm not sure what their ginger beef tastes like. I haven't been there in a long time, but I think Jumbo may cater better to the Caucasian crowd or the westernized Chinese cravings. Good Buddy is pretty good at this as well.

I dunno, if I'm in the mood for ahem, "city" Chinese food, I'd probably hit up a food court.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

:handclap: On the same note Mikado is some pretty damned good Chinese eatin'.

Bulgogi is great Korean. Doan's is pretty solid. I especially like their curry chicken soup.

For actual Chinese food ... Lingnan is good and so is Blue Willow.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
You are definitely right about that! One of my favorite places to get only once in a blue moon... the meat sweats!

Yessir.

Versato's is right up there. one of the best. Especially, the next day, and you thro a piece in your toaster oven!!!

Blue Willow. Hands down. Its an Edmonton landmark.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
The best Chinese food in Edmonton is actually in Spruce Grove. :laugh:

Bing's.

The best I've ever had. Everything is cooked perfectly, and melts in your mouth. The chicken balls in particular are phenomenal.

+1. Bings is amazing.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
In no specific order:

Southside: Golden Rice Bowl, Bejing Bejing, Good Buddy

More traditional Chinese restaurants, so I'm not sure what their ginger beef tastes like. I haven't been there in a long time, but I think Jumbo may cater better to the Caucasian crowd or the westernized Chinese cravings. Good Buddy is pretty good at this as well.

I dunno, if I'm in the mood for ahem, "city" Chinese food, I'd probably hit up a food court.

I agree on your choices on the southside, and I've eaten a lot of chinese food since my parents actually started Golden Rice Bowl way back in the 80s. Its GRB now and under different ownership but the food is still very good but pricey now. But yah, Beijing Beijing, and Good Buddy is recommended.

A little place I would also recommend on the southside on Ellerslie Road and 111 st is Chan Can Wok - the service is always very good and nice. They always remember your name kind of place.

I would also recommend Urban China downtown. The location is sketchy but the food is very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad