Best Defencemen on your team THIS YEAR.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Kings Muzzin with Doughty, who's made some pretty dumb plays this season, close. Worst are Greene (good physically if he can actually catch up to others) and Voynov, not sure how many brain cells these two have left.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Fayne has been the best in terms of consistency all year. But lately Klefblom (since being called up) has been lights out. :handclap:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
1. Being on the PK w/ Prosser in the penalty box

2. Marco Scandella

3. Jonas Brodin

4. Ryan Suter

5. Jared Spurgeon

6. Christian Folin

Ogopogo*

It's between Klefbom and Petry for the Oilers.

Some might say Fayne but he hasn't been impressive.

Schultz has played like an AHL call up and Nikitin is god awful most games.

Klefbom. Petry is garbage.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Chris Tanev - still adding things to his game, still elite both defensively and in moving the puck up ice to a teammate. What makes him special to me is how aggressive he is defensively while still covering far more than most defensemen are capable of. He's one of the best I've seen at understanding recovery angles and using them to aggressively cut off the play while still being able to recover. I also think his physical play is highly underrated - he's not throwing big hits but he's getting right into guys and underneath them for superior leverage, constantly forcing them into awkward physical positions.

I don't think Edler's game has changed as much as people say since last year. There's simply much better gap control by the forwards who aren't being sent on suicide forechecks. IMO people overreacted last year based on results (Edler declined but wasn't nearly as bad as he was made to look by stats) and now opinion has rebounded more than his play. He will still get beat by speed to the outside on occasion, it's just that now when he plays positionally (what he's always been good at) there is actual support.

When he gets the puck there are breakout options up ice so that missed passes still generally clear the puck over the blue line. Torts system had his defensemen either dump the puck out and hope the other team couldn't re-enter while the Canucks scrambled to the blue line... or play with the puck in their own end as the over-collapsed forwards struggled to create space against opposing Dmen with all the time in the world to close off outlets.

For years the Canucks speed was based on a stretch pass system that quickly put forwards in space against Dmen retreating to cover the breakout. We have returned to that and the Dmen now have some semblance of systemic support.

Edit: I'd also like to add that Casual Kev is trending towards Casualty Kev in my eyes. Some really brutal puck decisions this year.

Xavier Laflamme*

For the Pens, it's been Kris Letang..guy has been playing Norris caliber defense lately

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Rangers it's been Klein

HM: Staal, Girardi.

Although McD looks like he's coming back to form so I'll vote all four of them together :laugh:

Will always be a fan of Klein. Love the guy.
Made room for Jones to develop on the right side, so I begrudgingly understand the trade.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I gotta say Lindholm. Consistently reliable. Then it's Vatanen, he's very underrated defensively.

Nope. Beauchemin. Then Fowler.
It scares me when Vatanen is put out in key defensive situations. Not as much as Sbisa would but still. If we're ranking just offense its him number 1.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Probably a tie between Lindholm and Beauchemin. Maybe an edge to Lindholm, just because Franky was injured. It's also difficult not to consider that Beauchemin, with Lindholm, seems to allow Lindholm to be even better. There is some overlap there. Both have been damn good, though.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Nope. Beauchemin. Then Fowler.
It scares me when Vatanen is put out in key defensive situations. Not as much as Sbisa would but still. If we're ranking just offense its him number 1.

Fowler seems to be a whipping boy this season, but I feel like people ignore some of his contributions because they are frustrated he isn't doing more. That's my top 3, as well, especially looking at even strength play, which is really where Anaheim is the best.

But I'm sure I'll get called a hater. I just have more faith in those three.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad