Best Defencemen on your team THIS YEAR.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Fowler seems to be a whipping boy this season, but I feel like people ignore some of his contributions because they are frustrated he isn't doing more. That's my top 3, as well, especially looking at even strength play, which is really where Anaheim is the best.

But I'm sure I'll get called a hater. I just have more faith in those three.

Honestly I love Vatanen. I love what he can do with the puck. His personality is great. But if we're strictly ranking defense he's behind the three I mentioned. Behind Lovejoy, and a step behind Stoner. If I'm ranking overall I'd say Sami is our 4th best.

And yes. It's quite evident that people were expecting more than they should have out of Fowler by this point and take (especially on Twitter) every opportunity to chastise him when he makes the slightest mistakes. He's having a less than fantastic year by the standards he set last season but that hardly warrants people saying Fowler is a sieve now. I've seen ducks fans say some truly appalling things about the guy when he's still quite easily a top 4 guy at his worst and a number 1 at his best.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Keith has been great as usual, but Seabrook is playing the best hockey of his career. Gotta go with Seabs here.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Honestly I love Vatanen. I love what he can do with the puck. His personality is great. But if we're strictly ranking defense he's behind the three I mentioned. Behind Lovejoy, and a step behind Stoner. If I'm ranking overall I'd say Sami is our 4th best.

And yes. It's quite evident that people were expecting more than they should have out of Fowler by this point and take (especially on Twitter) every opportunity to chastise him when he makes the slightest mistakes. He's having a less than fantastic year by the standards he set last season but that hardly warrants people saying Fowler is a sieve now. I've seen ducks fans say some truly appalling things about the guy when he's still quite easily a top 4 guy at his worst and a number 1 at his best.

Kind of my point, too. I think he(Vatanen) excels in the role he's in. He's been great, is dynamic, and just adds an element that we lacked. But he still has a ways to go defensively, and there is no way I'd want him on the ice over any of those three when talking about the defensive side of the game. I also think Fowler and Lindholm use their teammates better, at even strength, on the breakout. I think they are more consistent at it, because they use the short pass more, while Sami loves that long stretch pass, which is great when it works, but it has a higher fail rate. He's very much an all-or-nothing player in a lot of things. I think it helps him, and Anaheim, that we have guys like Lindholm, Beauchemin, and Fowler who can bring that consistent game, so he can do his thing. There's a nice balance.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Kind of my point, too. I think he(Vatanen) excels in the role he's in. He's been great, is dynamic, and just adds an element that we lacked. But he still has a ways to go defensively, and there is no way I'd want him on the ice over any of those three when talking about the defensive side of the game. I also think Fowler and Lindholm use their teammates better, at even strength, on the breakout. I think they are more consistent at it, because they use the short pass more, while Sami loves that long stretch pass, which is great when it works, but it has a higher fail rate. He's very much an all-or-nothing player in a lot of things. I think it helps him, and Anaheim, that we have guys like Lindholm, Beauchemin, and Fowler who can bring that consistent game, so he can do his thing. There's a nice balance.

I prefer him defensively to Allen and Sbisa because he has his moments of actual defensive brilliance but then he'll turn around and get burned on the next 5 shifts.

Honestly before his play sort of tapered off with his excessive responsibility, I'd have preferred Manson defensively too.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I prefer him defensively to Allen and Sbisa because he has his moments of actual defensive brilliance but then he'll turn around and get burned on the next 5 shifts.

Honestly before his play sort of tapered off with his excessive responsibility, I'd have preferred Manson defensively too.

Yeah, Allen and Sbisa both made boneheaded decisions. Sami's issues seem more experience related, and partly due to his "I want the puck, so we can go score." mentality, which is pretty awesome to see.

rangers91*

Mark Streit ainec, and that's the problem. If Mark Streit is your #1 dman, and by far the best dman on the team, you're gonna have a bad time.

dont know why this guy always gets a bad rep, on a good team he's not your number 1, but he still a very good defensemen imo, guy seem severly underrated to me

rangers91*

rangers
Kevin Klein- guy has been a beast this season, great defensively, has chipped in offensively surprisingly, great character guy, tough as nails
Mcdonagh- slow start after injury, but back to his usual self
Staal- been pretty good, rock solid defensively, still has ****** hands though
Girardi- eats up ton of minutes still, still solid
Hunwick- been a real pleasant surprise, played great when in lineup, joins the rush well
Boyle- not terrible, but been a little dissapointing, not producing enough, looks a little old
Moore- average third pair defensemen at this stage in his career
kostka- absolutely terrible, thank god hes in hartford

overall no one has been bad, rangers have a very good defense except for kostka

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
It's between Klefbom and Petry for the Oilers.

Some might say Fayne but he hasn't been impressive.

Schultz has played like an AHL call up and Nikitin is god awful most games.

My sentiment exactly, Fayne hasn't been terrible for what he is but in recent games Klefbom has started to look as though he has a future in this league (although the Oilers will somehow find a way to **** that up)

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
Without a doubt I would have to say Klefbom. He battles hard on the boards, he usually makes the smart play instead of the flashy play and he does a great job of breaking the puck out of the zone.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
three way tie between greene, severson, and larsson. greene has been having a down year but aside from the occasional bad game still gives a generally consistent game and can be counted on in key situations. severson was playing great for a rookie before he got injured. he's as steady as a veteran and while he wasn't producing like he did to start the season, his offensive play was still promising. larsson has been the best on the team in his own zone when healthy, and is starting to get more offensive time since deboer got fired. it's starting to look like the season where he might finally assert himself as a top pairing guy, as crazy as it is to say finally when he's as young as he is.

skywarp75

May 19, 2009
for the Canucks, its been Edler, thank god (he is supposed to be and hasnt been for a long time)

Trainmman

May 29, 2014
Jersey
It's Kevin Klein right now. Amazing we got this guy for Del Zotto and he has such an affordable cap hit.

By the end of the year I'd say McD, but Klein has been the boss so far.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Klein and Staal. Both playing magnificent in their own zone. Staal is a black hole on offense though while Klein is having a career year offensively. McDonagh getting back into form after being injured.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
FrenchShamelessDikkops.gif
Its a good laugh when your team is down 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->