Best Defencemen on your team THIS YEAR.

Scarbarian*

So I would like to know who has been the best defensemen on most clubs this year, this doesn't have to be a player who has constantly been excellent yet slightly below expectations this year. as simple as that, best d-man on your club this particular year.

For Bruins, it's easily Hamilton. Chara is no longer as elite as he used to be, but he is till solid however, Hamilton is quickly making it a cakewalk.:)

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Anton Strålman for Tampa. While Hedman is probably the best answer he already had high expectations for him based on his last season and Strålman was much more of a surprise.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
It's a toss up between Leddy, Boychuk, and Hamonic. I'm going with Leddy. Far surpassed my expectations, and has been excellent defensively. Definitely the type of player you give an 8-year contract to.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Karlsson, though struggling defensively, is still putting up decent numbers and big minutes with mediocre partners.

Cody Ceci has been a nice surprise in his sophomore year.

Every other D-man has been pretty poor overall.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Tyler Myers. There's a noticeable difference between how the team plays when he's in the lineup vs when he's out. He shelters the young guys like Ristolainen and Zadorov from the tough minutes and makes Tyson Strachan look competent. He's really turned the corner since Nolan took the reigns last year, as most Sabres fans would attest.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Do I have to pick one?

Ugh, Phaneuf?

Hm: Franson, for not sucking as much as the rest of them.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Do I have to pick one?

Ugh, Phaneuf?

Hm: Franson, for not sucking as much as the rest of them.

Yep, Phaneuf has been our best dman, despite how much the general fanbase dislikes him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Beauchemin. Him coming back into the lineup has made a huge difference to our blueline. Honorable mention to Lindholm.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Subban. Obviously.

Markov has been solid too, although not as much as last year.

Gonchar has been the most surprising. He's been really solid considering his age and we dumped Moen for him. Slow as molasses, but his Hockey IQ is still there and he can still move the puck well. Helps he's finally paired with a guy that's fast and smart enough to cover up for him (Beaulieu).

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Tyler Myers. There's a noticeable difference between how the team plays when he's in the lineup vs when he's out. He shelters the young guys like Ristolainen and Zadorov from the tough minutes and makes guys like Tyson Strachan look competent. He's really turned the corner since Nolan took the reigns last year, as most Sabres fans would attest.
This. 100%.

The 24-year-old 6'8 giant blueliner 2010 Calder trophy winner logs 25:22 minutes per game and is worth every penny of the $5.5 million he earns. Any rebuilder OR contender has a spot for him.

The Hockey News said:
Is incredibly big and lanky, but also a very good skater for his size. Can play in all game situations and also boasts very good offensive upside. Can also be a big-minute shutdown defender.

Tylermyers3.jpg

blevine77

Sep 6, 2007
It's a toss up between Leddy, Boychuk, and Hamonic. I'm going with Leddy. Far surpassed my expectations, and has been excellent defensively. Definitely the type of player you give an 8-year contract to.

With all due respect to Boychuk and Hamonic, I wouldn't say it's even close to a toss-up. For me, Leddy runs away with it, and yes, absolutely throw that man an eight-year contract.

If the Norris voters relied more heavily on advanced statistics, and didn't just consider defensemen among the leading point scorers who don't have a catastrophic plus-minus, I'd say he's easily in the conversation (top-five finish at worst), but that ain't happening any time soon.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
EJ, and it's not even close. He's a beast.

Can't wait for the day he'll be paired with a good #2-4 dman. He'll be even better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad