Music: Best album of 2020

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
the new My morning jacket is good. Some nice arrangements, good guitar playing and great vocals.

definitely in my top 5

Reactions: plank

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This one came out in January. Just recently stumbled on to his stuff. Incredible songwriter. Definitely check out his previous album 'The Party' also.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
The new Protomartyr album is something special. Post/art-punk in the vein of Wire, The Fall, Closer, and a little bit of Swans.

It may be the closest thing to Joy Division I've heard since Turn on the Bright Lights. But less deliberate emulation and more evocative tribute. It is a step up on Relatives in Descent - which I thought was excellent - in terms of songwriting, production, and atmosphere.

It may well be my #1 on the year.

battra

Oct 24, 2017
There's been loads of great stuff this year....

King Gorm's new record drops (digitally) this month, but my vinyl copy won't hit till October.

Vile Creature made an amazing follow up.

X's new albums sounds better than some of their classic work.

Secret Shame's Dark Synthetics was some great "new" wave.

I mean, I can go on and on.

Oh, Black Dahlia Murder, Hellgarden's debut...damn.

Such great stuff this year.

Reactions: plank

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Anyone else in love with the new T Swift album? It’s probably my favourite from her and I feel like it’s her third “classic” album along with Red, & 1989. So many great songs here and a totally different vibe from Taylor . My favourite album of the year .

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Anyone else in love with the new T Swift album? It’s probably my favourite from her and I feel like it’s her third “classic” album along with Red, & 1989. So many great songs here and a totally different vibe from Taylor . My favourite album of the year .

I'm really surprised we didn't get a thread for it.

It's a true song-writing album, just a fantastic piece of art. No pop bangers, just songs from the heart.

The song with Bon Iver 'Exile' is a masterpiece and is gonna take the world by storm.

I was very pumped when I saw that Aaron Dessner from the National was the co-writer on majority of the songs.

Easily the best album of the year and from a pure musical perspective her best although I still put it behind 1989 but it easily slots into second place for her discography.

Stand outs are - Exile, August, Tears Ricochet, Mirrorball (sounds like an Alvvays track), and This is Me Trying.

Reactions: halincandenza

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I'm really surprised we didn't get a thread for it.

It's a true song-writing album, just a fantastic piece of art. No pop bangers, just songs from the heart.

The song with Bon Iver 'Exile' is a masterpiece and is gonna take the world by storm.

I was very pumped when I saw that Aaron Dessner from the National was the co-writer on majority of the songs.

Easily the best album of the year and from a pure musical perspective her best although I still put it behind 1989 but it easily slots into second place for her discography.

Stand outs are - Exile, August, Tears Ricochet, Mirrorball (sounds like an Alvvays track), and This is Me Trying.

I dont think there’s a weak song on the album . I’m going on my third listen and I see this is going to overtake 1989 .

Reactions: WeThreeKings

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
Mirrorball and This is me trying are phenomenal . It’s nice to see her put out good music again. The last two albums were absolute duds.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Mirrorball and This is me trying are phenomenal . It’s nice to see her put out good music again. The last two albums were absolute duds.

Reputation sucked hard.. I liked a lot off of Lover, it wasn't a consistent album, but there was enough there to redeem herself after Reputation. This just takes it up to her 1989 level in a different style.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I like a couple songs off Reputation. I liked most of Lover. False God is a top 10 Taylor song in my opinion.

What are your top 10 taylor songs?

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
10. hoax
9. peace
8. red
7. false god
6. blank space
5. all too well
4. exile
3. the 1
2. august
1. wildest dreams

pretty heavy on the new album , i'd probably give a different list a year from now haha.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Never really gave T. Swift a chance but might have to check out the new album.
May I suggest the new Courtney Marie Andrews album

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I actually gave the new T Swift a couple of listens, which is something I never thought I'd be saying.

Overall it's pretty good, a couple really good songs, nothing really bad... had a chance to be a really good album with just eliminating 5-6 songs (although with no weak songs, and some of my least favorite songs being other people's favorites, its hard to put a finger on which ones to cut. It just starts to drag and too many songs are same-ey overall)

Illicit Affairs is a jam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad