Music: Best album of 2020

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
IlAlexandra Savior - The Archer

Just listened to this based on your list and don’t know why it hasn’t received more press ? I like her voice - crying all the time is a great track. Good album for sure - my only complaint is it runs a little short .

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Trace Mountains - Lost in the country

About a third into this , and liking it so far. Some great guitar work , can hear some war on drugs influences especially early war on drugs . lofi rock and roll.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
My two favorites from this year up 'til now:

Terre Neuve by French legend Brigitte Fontaine

Necroscape by tētēma

And could be of interest: Patchouli Blue by Bohren and der Club of Gore, also on Ipecac
(that's the whole album)

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The Igorrr album sits on 3rd position right now for me, a little disappointed but it still has some great moments (and would be a great introduction to his music and his humor)

(again, the whole album)

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Because it’s such a rare occurrence I’ll share the review , but Pitchfork has given out their first 10/10 in 10 years this morning to the new Fiona Apple album - Fetch the bolt cutters.

Fiona Apple: Fetch the Bolt Cutters

Listening now - thank you for this, it's an interesting find. I've always respected Apple from a distance - I have Not About Love on my iPod, but I never took the time to go through her stuff. I will.

Reactions: halincandenza

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Listening now - thank you for this, it's an interesting find. I've always respected Apple from a distance - I have Not About Love on my iPod, but I never took the time to go through her stuff. I will.

No problem. I’m the same way - I’ve never dived into her stuff , but I want to now.

What are your thoughts on the album ?

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
It’s been a pretty weak year so far but I might just be super depressed right now on top of it.

I really like the new Spanish Love Songs album... anti flag’s was okay. Better than their last few for sure. I should probably check out the new strokes album

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
No problem. I’m the same way - I’ve never dived into her stuff , but I want to now.

What are your thoughts on the album ?

It's a very good album. It won't get ahead of the top-3 I posted above, but it's a lot more consistent than all of them. Rack of His, Cosmonauts, On I Go, Ladies, are all very good songs. And you've got a few others with structure interesting enough to hold their own (Relay, For Her), and, most of all, no real weak song. I don't get the Yoko Ono reference in the review, but Apple sure come off as an original artist.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
It’s original in every way. Ladies , I want you to love me , heavy balloon, cosmonauts are my four favourites right now.

It’s a perfect headphones album. There is a minute on the track “Relay” from 2:50- 3:40 that’s just insane - so much going on , it shouldn’t work but it does and it’s total ear candy.

pumped to listen to this one again over the weekend .

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Because it’s such a rare occurrence I’ll share the review , but Pitchfork has given out their first 10/10 in 10 years this morning to the new Fiona Apple album - Fetch the bolt cutters.

Fiona Apple: Fetch the Bolt Cutters

Holy shit, that album was a masterpiece.

I saw your post about the review and figured I'd like it - my taste is usually pretty in line with Pitchforks writers. Much like you, I haven't dug much into her discography. But damn, maybe I'm missing out. That album was such a fresh set of creativity in the industry. The sound is unique, the vocals are angelic, and the lyrics are perfect. The album is a beautiful mess.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Holy shit, that album was a masterpiece.

I saw your post about the review and figured I'd like it - my taste is usually pretty in line with Pitchforks writers. Much like you, I haven't dug much into her discography. But damn, maybe I'm missing out. That album was such a fresh set of creativity in the industry. The sound is unique, the vocals are angelic, and the lyrics are perfect. The album is a beautiful mess.

Yeah it was a great album . So dark, yet funny. It really is a masterpiece.
What are your favourite songs from it?

Have you listened to her older albums yet ? The Idler wheel is supposed to be excellent .

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
good news: Courtney Marie Andrews released a new video for a song off of her upcoming album.
bad news: Like many others she has had to delay the release because of vinyl manufacturing plants being closed.

new date 7/24

Reactions: halincandenza

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
New project by Jimmy Urine (Mindless Self Indulgence ) and Serj Tankian (System Of A Down)...

Well, it's new, it's original, but certainly not the best album of anything (I don't like it).

[Original link dead..... update]:

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
The new perfume genius album “set my heart on fire immediately” is great - probably my album of the year.

Reactions: Provocop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad