Music: Best album of 2020

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think there's much left to be released for me this year.. I've got.

1. Taylor Swift - Folklore
  2. Halsey - Manic
  3. Puscifer - Existential Reckoning
  4. Melanie Martinez - After School
  5. The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form
  6. Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue
  7. Machine Gun Kelly - Tickets to my Downfall
  8. Deftones - Ohms
  9. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
  10. Pinegrove - Marigold

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Listened to a ton of albums from 2020. Overall, it was a deep year for music, although I don't think any album from it cracks my top-100 OAT (at the moment, at least). A lot of stuff that is 8-8.5/10 level, but no real masterpieces. Still, enjoyable and worth diving deeper into.

1. Protomartyr - Ultimate Success Today
2. Adrianne Lenker - songs
3. Run the Jewels - RTJ4
4. Dogleg - Melee
5. Perfume Genius - Set My Heart on Fire Immediately

6. Matthew Good - Moving Walls
7. Touché Amoré - Lament
8. Klô Pelgag - Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs
9. Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension
10. Mac Miller - Circles

11. Bonny Light Horseman - S/T
12. Backxwash - God Has Nothing to Do With This Leave Him Out of It
13. Napalm Death - Throes of Joy in the Jaws of Defeatism
14. Sprain - As Lost Through Collision
15. Alexandra Saviour - The Archer

16. Owen Pallet - Island
17. Fleet Foxes - Shore
18. Deftones - Ohms
19. Algiers - There is No Year
20. Gil Scott-Heron & Makaya McCraven - We're New Here

21. Eartheater - Phoenix: Flames Are Dew Upon My Skin
22. Open Mike Eagle - Anime, Trauma & Divorce
23. Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
24. Aesop Rock - Spirit World Field Guide
25. Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
DMA's - THE GLOW is my big discovery of the year so far, Australian band making nightclub-friendly indie rock that is heavily inspired by British 90's bands like Oasis, Stone Roses and the Verve.

I posted this one earlier, this band exemplifies how dead indie/alt has gone because they would truly be massive in the 90s or early 00s.

If it's album of the year.....I dunno. It has four songs on it that I consider to be absolute bangers (Life Is A Game of Changing, Silver, Never Before, and Learning Alive). The rest is maybe a step below the album tracks on their previous two albums.

I'm starting to lean towards Floatr by English band Happyness, people say it's a blatant Elliot Smith rip-off but who cares, besides, who the f*** is Elliot Smith?

Reactions: Franck

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Anyone listen to the new War on Drugs live album , live drugs? this is great stuff, and cements the war on drugs as one of the best live bands around today. The songs are even more alive here , and some sound totally brand new as they are reconstructed for the live show , with more epic guitar solos, longer sax ripping and songs, that on the album you wished jammed harder and longer, well, on the live album they do.

stand out tracks for me - strangest thing, red eyes , thinking of a place, and under the pressure .

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I can't believe I slept on listening to the new Happyness album. Sounds like Elliot Smith being done by a British band with a very 90s take but it's good and didn't take very long to get into.

The music started and I was like "I don't hear it," but then the vocals come in and it's like wow, those are a dead ringer's for Elliott's. Didn't love the album, but big fan of the track "What Isn't Nurture," nice pop hook in that one, very Elliott reminiscent. There's even a "big nothing" lyrical reference in Undone, which is another standout, so at least they're citing their sources, which I have zero problem with.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The new Avalanches record came out tonight.

It - and I cannot stress this enough - absolutely slaps. One listen through and it's easily top 5 in my AOTY.

Thank you!!!

For some reason I had no idea this was coming. Wildflower and SILY are two of my favourite albums ever. I just visited this thread for the first time ever to drop my top albums list but will need to reconsider after this news lol

Wander

May 12, 2014
My favourite of the year by The Beths

Great album (Jump Rope Gazers) and band if you like indie rock or power pop or that sort of thing.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
My favourite albums from this year.

The Book of Fire by Mon inc. released 24 January this year.

A Christmas Carol by Majestica released 4 December (about a week ago).

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Sorry 925 album - march 2020
so sorry. for me, it was Sorry from the start and has carried on through to year's end. thirteen infectious song titles from a band which appears to have traveled through a time warp and brought back engaging lyrics surrounded by driving rhythm guitars. asha lorenz and louis o'bryen are young songwriting duo who don't mind stealing musical influences from anyone and everyone from the past. my personal number one in u.k.

'A debut for the ages, Sorry are unafraid of experimenting whilst giving you everything you want'

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Glad the new Avalanches is getting some love.

A lot of really great music came out this year. I just can't remember any of it with all the travelling I did pre-March and then shutdown lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad