Speculation: Berglund & Lehtera to Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Okay no, I don't want to go from Lehtera's contract to Phaneuf's. At least with Lehtera, he plays a position we don't have many internal replacements for. I know Phaneuf is pretty good, but the extra 2.3 million for an extra 2 years is not something I'm particularly fond of.

Also, Gunnarsson is in there, so that's 2.9 off the defense with Phaneuf coming in.

Also, at the same time, Stastny comes off the books.

I don't know if that helps, just something to think about.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Technically, most players are "available" for the right price.

I doubt Brown gets traded, but who knows.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Have confirmed with an Ottawa writer that the #Sens have increasing interest in Patrik Berglund and Jori Lehtera. #stlblues

Also, a PHWA member based in Ottawa told me #Sens aren't looking to move roster players besides Ryan, Lazar. Also stated that... (1/2)

A few seasons ago #Blues and #Sens neared a deal including Berglund but it fell through after Spezza was dealt to Dallas. (2/2)

Per @The_STG
His source is probably Garrioch who is basically Eklund with press credentials.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Lol so Ottawa is gonna trade for two 3rd liners, one of whom is grossly overpaid, and they're gonna give us a top prospect back for the trouble? Sounds legit

Tell you what we'll throw in Chabot too :laugh:

Seriously, I don't know if you could come up with a deal that makes less sense for us if you tried

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Unless I'm missing something, St. Louis has the same weaknesses as Ottawa and they're both stumbling their way to the playoffs. Besides a "change of scenery" trade, I don't think there's much to explore.

Reilly19

Jun 8, 2016
Then you obviously haven't been paying attention. Almost all of those guys are RFAs, Ottawa has tons of budget space, and most of their commitments are for top-4/top-6 players.

How much, exactly, do you think these players are going to get? Are they all going to be superstars in the very near future? Also, Dzingel and Pageau are likely going to be bridged as well.

Well Stone is getting 7. Turris probably gets 6-6.5, Ceci probably gets 3.5-4. If you add in Ryan at 7.25, Phaneuf at 7 and 9 or more for Karlson the year after, your gonna have alot of cap room eaten up.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Well Stone is getting 7. Turris probably gets 6-6.5, Ceci probably gets 3.5-4. If you add in Ryan at 7.25, Phaneuf at 7 and 9 or more for Karlson the year after, your gonna have alot of cap room eaten up.

Stone at 7 means he's a superstar. Turris isn't getting 6.5. 5.5 is realistic given the comparable players, but that is quibbling. Your Ceci estimates are lowish, but not unreasonable.

As far as the budget is concerned, in 2018-19, with your own numbers, Ottawa will have 60.2 million in cap committed between: Smith, Turris, Stone, Hoffman, MacArthur, Brassard, Ryan, Phaneuf, Methot, Karlsson, and Ceci.

That leaves 13m in cap space and about 10-11m in budget space for: Claesson, Dzingel, Pageau, and Lazar + five depth bodies at forward, goal tending, defense to fill the roster. Assuming Dzingel/Pageau get bridged and Lazar, Claesson, Wideman, Pyatt, and the rest of the depth continue to cost around 650K-1m per player, we'll have around 3m for goal tending + whatever is happening with MacArthur's contract.

Even under the worst case scenario, where Ottawa doesn't lose an expensive player to expansion, all their young players break out, Melnyk continues to keep the budget around 70 million, and they decide to keep everyone, the worst case scenario is that we won't be able to break the bank with an imaginary UFA goalie signing.

Edit: As far as Karlsson goes, Brassard and Methot are coming off the books by then. Unless Karlsson wants 14-15 million, the budget space is there.

Reilly19

Jun 8, 2016
Stone at 7 means he's a superstar. Turris isn't getting 6.5. 5.5 is realistic given the comparable players, but that is quibbling. Your Ceci estimates are lowish, but not unreasonable.

As far as the budget is concerned, in 2018-19, with your own numbers, Ottawa will have 60.2 million in cap committed between: Smith, Turris, Stone, Hoffman, MacArthur, Brassard, Ryan, Phaneuf, Methot, Karlsson, and Ceci.

That leaves 13m in cap space and about 10-11m in budget space for: Claesson, Dzingel, Pageau, and Lazar + five depth bodies at forward, goal tending, defense to fill the roster. Assuming Dzingel/Pageau get bridged and Lazar, Claesson, Wideman, Pyatt, and the rest of the depth continue to cost around 650K-1m per player, we'll have around 3m for goal tending + whatever is happening with MacArthur's contract.

Even under the worst case scenario, where Ottawa doesn't lose an expensive player to expansion, all their young players break out, Melnyk continues to keep the budget around 70 million, and they decide to keep everyone, the worst case scenario is that we won't be able to break the bank with an imaginary UFA goalie signing.

Edit: As far as Karlsson goes, Brassard and Methot are coming off the books by then. Unless Karlsson wants 14-15 million, the budget space is there.

MacArthur has to be a part of the equation because no one will take him. Melnyk is cheap so he will count that as money spent. Also 3 million for goaltending is a joke. A average NHL goalie cost 4.5-5 million now a days. When Brassard comes off the books they will Need to pay White number 2 money if he is the so called star they think he is, or they need to find a replacement if he is not. When Methot comes off the books there going to need to pay chabot who they think is going to be a star also. If Chabot and White are going to be as good as they think there going to be before those entry level deals end your probably spending 4 million or more on each player. Mark Stone is already a Star.

Last edited:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
MacArthur has to be a part of the equation because no one will take him. Melnyk is cheap so he will count that as money spent. Also 3 million for goaltending is a joke. A average NHL goalie cost 4.5-5 million now a days. When Brassard comes off the books they will Need to pay White number 2 money if he is the so called star they think he is, or they need to find a replacement if he is not. When Methot comes off the books there going to need to pay chabot who they think is going to be a star also. If Chabot and White are going to be as good as they think there going to be before those entry level deals end your probably spending 4 million or more on each player.

1. If MacArthur's career is over, he is covered by insurance and Melnyk doesn't matter. Either Ottawa ends up with a top-6 forward and one less roster hole to fill or they end up with no budget problems whatsoever. Sure, MacArthur will count against the cap, but Ottawa is always so far under it is a moot point.

2. Goaltending only matters if you have someone to spend it on. No use worrying about spending 6+ million on a goalie into projections when we have no one in the pipeline who is going to cost that much. Ottawa could be running a Hogberg/O'Connor/Dredgier + Condon situation by 2019. If anything, you're overly optimistic projections will leave 8+ million in budget space for goal-tending, but that's another argument.

3. White hasn't signed an ELC yet and Brown and Chabot didn't play 10 NHL games. All three will still be on their second years of their ELCs by the time Brassard and Methot retire. LOL. That is why you don't trade those guys.

Edit: The whole argument is silly anyways, Ottawa has so much extra room between the budget and salary cap, they can always just overpay keep everyone if they ever wanted to. When was the last player Ottawa lost because they couldn't afford them? Everyone Ottawa has lost over the years was because of the cap. If you honestly think Eugene Melnyk won't spend to the capto keep a successful team together (like he has many times since he bought the team) I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

Reilly19

Jun 8, 2016
1. If MacArthur's career is over, he is covered by insurance and Melnyk doesn't matter. Either Ottawa ends up with a top-6 forward and one less roster hole to fill or they end up with no budget problems whatsoever. Sure, MacArthur will count against the cap, but Ottawa is always so far under it is a moot point.

2. Goaltending only matters if you have someone to spend it on. No use worrying about spending 6+ million on a goalie into projections when we have no one in the pipeline who is going to cost that much. Ottawa could be running a Hogberg/O'Connor/Dredgier + Condon situation by 2019. If anything, you're overly optimistic projections will leave 8+ million in budget space for goal-tending, but that's another argument.

3. White hasn't signed an ELC yet and Brown and Chabot didn't play 10 NHL games. All three will still be on their second years of their ELCs by the time Brassard and Methot retire. LOL. That is why you don't trade those guys.

Edit: The whole argument is silly anyways, Ottawa has so much extra room between the budget and salary cap, they can always just overpay keep everyone if they ever wanted to. When was the last player Ottawa lost because they couldn't afford them? Everyone Ottawa has lost over the years was because of the cap. If you honestly think Eugene Melnyk won't spend to the capto keep a successful team together (like he has many times since he bought the team) I don't know what to tell you.

Fair enough.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'd take Berglund for sure but the names mentionned by this guy are just not on the table for a rental like Berglund. Ottawa is not going to be a contender with a guy like Berglund and if they are really willing to trade Brown they would do so in a trade involving a top forward and not a middle 6 forward.

Personally, I have always valued Dahlen a lot so I'd be incredibly dissaponted to see him traded for a rental and the same can be said about Chlapik. I'd much rather trade Brown, who has more market value, for a legitimate upgrade.

Actually I really dont see a fit for a trade involving Brown between the 2 teams and again I doubt we move Dahlen or Chlapik for a pure rental.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I don't think Ottawa would be the team to take Lehtera off our hands, and I doubt even more so that STL would be the team to take Ryan off of theirs.

It's also important to note that Ryan is injured with a broken finger for at least the next month. I just don't see a reason for STL to be making a deal for Ryan at this point in time, regardless of how we'd like to get rid of Lehtera.

However, I can't see OTT ever trading cheap, promising youth when their biggest issue is paying the bills, followed second by fitting good talent under the cap.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm surprised how many people think those tweets are saying "Berglund AND Lehtera to Ottawa."

Acquiring both of them makes literally no sense. Yeah, sure, the tweets say they have interest in Berglund and Lehtera, but I think it's pretty obvious that means they are just kicking the tires on both, but would just decide on one to trade for. Why would it not?

Teams will have interest in multiple players, especially two guys who are very likely available from the Blues.

It wouldn't take a ton to acquire either one.

But with all this said, that account is pretty bad.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I agree. Just don't see how we get rid of Bobby Ryan without putting Brown, White or Chabot in the deal. The cap space from getting rid of his contract would be pretty valuable.

.......we? What we are you talking about?

No chance in hell that Ottawa gifts a blue chip prospect to anyone to take Ryan.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
i'm calling BS on this one. no way sens deal Brown for Lehtera and Berglund

Absolutely no chance. If Brown is on the table and i highly doubt it, Ottawa will have him in a package for an impact player. I hope they arent moving Dahlen or Chlapik for pure rentals either. If it is i hope its better than a player producing 3rd line numbers.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
=IranCondraAffair

Ottawa does not have a ton of cap space for next year now its at 11 million.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Reilly19

The only way White/Chabot and Brown are in a package with Ryan is if its for a player like JT ion return.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
oh please god no

I want no part of either of them.

Must've not ever seen Berglund play, because he would help the sens immensely, just as he helps the blues immensely. It is easy to forget that it takes a third line to do anything. I could be missing something and the Sens are implementing a new strategy where puck possession is something to be frowned upon.

I will compliment your regard to the fact that this is an either/or rumor, which many others missed.

I'd take Berglund for sure but the names mentionned by this guy are just not on the table for a rental like Berglund. Ottawa is not going to be a contender with a guy like Berglund and if they are really willing to trade Brown they would do so in a trade involving a top forward and not a middle 6 forward.

Personally, I have always valued Dahlen a lot so I'd be incredibly dissaponted to see him traded for a rental and the same can be said about Chlapik. I'd much rather trade Brown, who has more market value, for a legitimate upgrade.

Actually I really dont see a fit for a trade involving Brown between the 2 teams and again I doubt we move Dahlen or Chlapik for a pure rental.

Berglund makes Ottawa much more of a contender, so I don't understand the bolded.

Also, Logan Brown will never make an impact for the sens. I thought we all already knew.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
MacArthur has to be a part of the equation because no one will take him. Melnyk is cheap so he will count that as money spent. Also 3 million for goaltending is a joke. A average NHL goalie cost 4.5-5 million now a days. When Brassard comes off the books they will Need to pay White number 2 money if he is the so called star they think he is, or they need to find a replacement if he is not. When Methot comes off the books there going to need to pay chabot who they think is going to be a star also. If Chabot and White are going to be as good as they think there going to be before those entry level deals end your probably spending 4 million or more on each player. Mark Stone is already a Star.

Top end goaltending avg 5 million but the avg is around 3 million.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
=IranCondraAffair

Ottawa does not have a ton of cap space for next year now its at 11 million.

Right now Ottawa is listed as having ~60 million committed to next season with Pageau and Dzingel being the most notable players to re-sign.

Having said that, MacArthur is included in that number, and if his career is over, 4.65 turns into about 900k after insurance, meaning that 60 mil is more like 56. Adding onto that, the expansion draft will take a player, possibly Methot, Ceci, (or ideally Ryan). That adds another 2.8-7.25 mil, but also leaves a hole to fill.

Two years from now is were things could get sticky, with Turris, Stone and Ceci (if still here) needing new deals, and then a year after that Karlsson, Brassard, and Methot (if still here).

Having said all that, no freaking way to Lethera, and not willing to give up a lot for Berglund.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
To me it doesn't sound like the Berglund/Lehtera and Brown speculation were intended to be connected. I just can't see the Sens giving up Brown unless they're putting together a package for a more marquee name.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Would be very interested at Berglund at the right price if he is leaving no matter what, said it before but I don't see why St. Louis would move him though, do blues fans see him re-signing or is he walking?

At this time I would not be moving Brown, Chabot nor White as a Sens fan(we need to grow our own higher end players as they do not sign here nor has our history of trading for them really been positive)....unless overpayment occurred which it likely would not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad