Speculation: Berglund & Lehtera to Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Lol you know Chris Wideman is from Saint Louis, right? Yeah we know him. He's a serviceable bottom pairing Dman who has defied the odds and managed to carve out a decent NHL career despite his size. Seriously, good for him happy to see the local boy succeed.

Patrick Berglund has scored 32 points twice in the last 5 years (the two years before that he scored 38 and 52 for the record) and is on pace for more than 32 this season. At the VERY minimum, when healthy, Berglund is good for ~30 pts while being very solid defensively and a possession monster. He can kill penalties and is decent on the PP, really an incredibly versatile player. Despite being a UFA, Berglund is absolutely worth more to a team than Chris ****ing Wideman.

I do love Patrik Berglund (well like anything Sweden, I cheer for them in international events over France and Canada, my 2 countries). He's good but he is an UFA to be. You know like me that it hurts players' value unless you are talking about big names (and even then)

But the point is more that you have to be aware to the post I was replying to. The poster made that statement :

Horrible value and we have better internal replacements than Wideman.

You could argue that Wideman might not be enough for Berglund, but horrible value?

Wideman is 27 y/o and makes 800 000$ this year and next and has proven to be a solid #5. Berglund is a solid middle-six forward but doesn't provide a ton of offense, as evidenced by his production of 31 pts per 82 games played in the last 4 seasons. Wideman as a bottom-pairing D-man has been scoring at a 20 pts per 82 games pace in not even 2 NHL seasons.

How is it horrible value? What are Blues fans expecting Berglund to return as a UFA-to-be player?

I'm curious what you think Wideman is worth. Realistically, what do you think the sens could get in return for him?

Hard to say... due to age and contract maybe a 2nd/3rd?

I'd rather lose Ryan to Vegas than trade him for Lehtera.

It would be acceptable to lose Ryan to LV because :

- it means that they don't lose anybody else to the expansion draft (Methot, Phaneuf or Dzingel)

- it frees up 37.25 for the next 5 years. With that money, hopefully Ottawa could find another top-6 forward and have some more available money to negotiate new contracts. And with all the young talent coming up (White, Dahlen, Perron, Chlapik, Perron...), the answer might be from within.

Trading Ryan for Lethera is a complete waste.

You should be telling your own fanbase they are seriously overrating Chris Wideman.

I don't think many overrate him, he is a 5th D-man in most people's eyes. I dunno about other posters you were arguing with, personally I'd say that you should be telling your own fanbase that they have to be more cautious and precise with their langage because "horrible value" means that the proposal was very very far away, when in reality it is not that far.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Cool, not to the Blues he isn't.

Why do we care where he fits in on other teams? They don't have Patrik Berglund.

Trading him for Chris Wideman is a waste because he wouldn't be in our top 4, and we already have a replacement for Shattenkirk. Why do people not understand that? So instead of trading Berglund for one, we'll just use the one we already have (with a higher ceiling) and get something else for Berglund if we decide to move him. Or we will just keep Bergund since he plays a much higher position of need.

Ottawa wouldn't trade Wideman for Berglung straight up anyway.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Get a grip, Chris Wideman is a top 4 D like I'm Barney the big purple dinosaur. I can think of maybe 3 teams that would have him in their top 4 (AZ, TOR, CO) and only because of injuries/trades.

You still haven't answered my main question: what would Chris Wideman return in a trade?

Guaranteed Berglund would return more. If you don't believe me, feel free to make a "value of" thread about him and see that I'm not the only one who would value Berglund more. While you're at it, make a "is Chris Wideman a top 4 D" poll and check out the results...pretty sure you won't like the answers you get.

You should be telling your own fanbase they are seriously overrating Chris Wideman.

Why don't you go make a poll of who's more valuable and see for yourself.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It was a blues fan who asked about Wideman.. a sens fan just answered.

You should be telling that to your own fanbase.
Or you could learn to read, it was Moller who proposed the trade and he isn't a Blues fan, he's a Sens fan.

But yeah let's just make stuff up and hope nobody notices!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->