Speculation: Berglund & Lehtera to Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
I wouldn't be totally opposed to trading Brown in the right deal, but I don't think Lehtera and Berglund are what we would want. We need wingers, not centres.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't know why Lehtera was mentioned. Ottawa has no use for him whatsoever. Unless of course I'm missing something. He's not displacing Turris or Brassard who are better than him in the top-6 Pageau does a pretty similar job as a 3rd line centre for 900K while Lehtera gets 4.7 million for two more years past this one. Zero idea why his name came up. Centre depth is fine, and Lehtera is a good, two-way, player but Ottawa doesn't have the budget for that type of long-term addition.

Berglund is another story. He's paid 3.7M but he's also a rental and can play wing. I can see some interest as long as the price is reasonable. It would all depend on the market and the alternatives. Unfortunately he's a "C" and a "LW", rather than a RW, which is what Ottawa needs.

I'm actually surprised that Perron wasn't mentioned. At least Perron plays a position where Ottawa needs help. Fitting his salary into the books for this season is possible but no one knows how much room Ottawa has in their budget left. The real question is how much room they have next year.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I wouldn't be totally opposed to trading Brown in the right deal, but I don't think Lehtera and Berglund are what we would want. We need wingers, not centres.

Blues have wingers to spare and for the right deal (basing it on Berglund + Lehtera is definitely that kind of deal), I am sure STL would throw a winger in, if the price is right .

Blues's needs are a Grade A top Centre and a top 4 LHD which does NOT have to/need to come back from this deal. Prospects and NHL-ready players would be ideal as a return for the above. This deal alone does us a favor and gets us out from under Lehtera's contract. Beyond the obvious, what wingers would interest you? Berglund can switch between Wing and Center and imho (MY opinion from watching him over the years), he's more a threat as a Winger.

Reilly19

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah he's not an untouchable by any means, but I'd rather package him for an impact player.

I agree. Just don't see how we get rid of Bobby Ryan without putting Brown, White or Chabot in the deal. The cap space from getting rid of his contract would be pretty valuable.

Reilly19

Jun 8, 2016
Ya no. If we have to ģive up one of our big 3 to get rid of Ryan, you best get used to Ryan cause he'll be around for a while.

Don't see how we can pay Turris, Stone, Pageau, Dzingel, Ceci without getting rid of Ryan.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Phaneuf
Lazar
G. Gagne

For

Berglund
Lehtera
Gunnarsson

?

Okay no, I don't want to go from Lehtera's contract to Phaneuf's. At least with Lehtera, he plays a position we don't have many internal replacements for. I know Phaneuf is pretty good, but the extra 2.3 million for an extra 2 years is not something I'm particularly fond of.

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
I can see why Ottawa might be interested in Berglund, but Lehtera with his contract basically has negative value. Although I want Ryan even less. At least Lehtera only has two years left, doesn't make 7.25M, and plays C.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
I would do that too. I'm not crazy about the acquisitions, but they would be worth getting out of Lehtera's contract, and I love Bergie but he's a rental.

Phaneuf's contract would kill the Blues. Lehtera's contract, while bad, isn't an albatross. St. Louis would be better off moving(in a worst case scenario) Lehtera with a 2nd round pick for future considerations and then re-signing Shattenkirk(a better defenseman) to a contract similar to Phaneuf's. Then possibly moving Berglund and/or Gunnarsson to recoup the pick. While I'm not advocating for that, the outcome would be much better for the Blues than accepting that terrible trade.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm down for trading for Berglund.

Not interested in Lehtera though, I wonder why Dorion would be interested in him.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Lol so Ottawa is gonna trade for two 3rd liners, one of whom is grossly overpaid, and they're gonna give us a top prospect back for the trouble? Sounds legit

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Don't see how we can pay Turris, Stone, Pageau, Dzingel, Ceci without getting rid of Ryan.

Then you obviously haven't been paying attention. Almost all of those guys are RFAs, Ottawa has tons of budget space, and most of their commitments are for top-4/top-6 players.

How much, exactly, do you think these players are going to get? Are they all going to be superstars in the very near future? Also, Dzingel and Pageau are likely going to be bridged as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad