Speculation: Berglund & Lehtera to Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
This guy is basically the Blues version of Eklund, nothing he says should be taken seriously.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
My perspective is this: the Sens have done very well drafting centers the last few years. Brown, Dahlen, White, Chlapik. Taking into account that Turris, Hoffman, Brassard, Smith, Pageau and Pyatt are all still young centers themselves, it isn't likely that all 4 of those draftees will make their way onto the NHL roster, even if they're extremely promising right now. A few of them are likely, but all 4 is a stretch, even if they did have the spots for them. Now, a few of them can and probably will convert to wing, but even still it's likely that a few of those names are going to be stuck in depth-chart purgatory for a few years, developing but not helping the Senators much except in cases of injury.

Turning the focus back towards this year, they won't be helping at all, period. Berglund and Lehtera would. If they are anxious about making a decent push into the playoffs, they might consider adding one or both of them, who have fresh experience going deep in the playoffs (and in Berglund's case looking extremely good while doing it), in exchange for one of those center prospects who, again, doesn't add anything for this season.

With that said, I totally understand the need/desire to keep prospects around to see how they develop, and not over-commit on a season that probably won't bring you the cup anyway (no offense, just speaking from personal experience here). But Berglund especially is cheap, experienced, versatile (he's a good winger too), and having a great season after suffering through a shoulder injury the last few. He also doesn't have to be protected in the expansion draft since he's UFA. Lehtera is panned by Blues fans, but he's got experience playing against other teams' top lines night-in and night-out, and has shown that he has the ability to be very effective (not lately, but he can be that guy) in a set-up role. In either case, you could do a whole lot worse for a rental/longer-term guy.

I guess overall I just understand the logic behind doing something like that from the Senators' perspective, if in fact this guy's source has good information. I like STG, I think he's fair and provides good/comprehensive commentary, but I don't know anything about how reliable he is for "insider" info. The premise makes a lot of sense though.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
My perspective is this: the Sens have done very well drafting centers the last few years. Brown, Dahlen, White, Chlapik. Taking into account that Turris, Hoffman, Brassard, Smith, Pageau and Pyatt are all still young centers themselves, it isn't likely that all 4 of those draftees will make their way onto the NHL roster, even if they're extremely promising right now. A few of them are likely, but all 4 is a stretch, even if they did have the spots for them. Now, a few of them can and probably will convert to wing, but even still it's likely that a few of those names are going to be stuck in depth-chart purgatory for a few years, developing but not helping the Senators much except in cases of injury.

Turning the focus back towards this year, they won't be helping at all, period. Berglund and Lehtera would. If they are anxious about making a decent push into the playoffs, they might consider adding one or both of them, who have fresh experience going deep in the playoffs (and in Berglund's case looking extremely good while doing it), in exchange for one of those center prospects who, again, doesn't add anything for this season.

With that said, I totally understand the need/desire to keep prospects around to see how they develop, and not over-commit on a season that probably won't bring you the cup anyway (no offense, just speaking from personal experience here). But Berglund especially is cheap, experienced, versatile (he's a good winger too), and having a great season after suffering through a shoulder injury the last few. He also doesn't have to be protected in the expansion draft since he's UFA. Lehtera is panned by Blues fans, but he's got experience playing against other teams' top lines night-in and night-out, and has shown that he has the ability to be very effective (not lately, but he can be that guy) in a set-up role. In either case, you could do a whole lot worse for a rental/longer-term guy.

I guess overall I just understand the logic behind doing something like that from the Senators' perspective, if in fact this guy's source has good information. I like STG, I think he's fair and provides good/comprehensive commentary, but I don't know anything about how reliable he is for "insider" info. The premise makes a lot of sense though.

Hoffman and Pyatt aren't centers. And Smith plays a lot of wing now.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Not to nitpick but I'm fairly certain at least a couple names you've listed are not centers.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Berglund for Wideman. Gives a decent fill in for after the Shattenkirk trade.

Ottawa needs to swing a second deal for another RD though. Maybe Lazar for Sproul in Detroit since he's playing 7th man. Or a small asset for Goloubef in Colorado. Or maybe both. We need RD depth.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Its unlikely that Brown goes anywhere unless the deal is expanded.

I think Lazar for Lehtera or Lazar + for Berglund is probably what both sides are aiming for?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Ottawa needs to swing a second deal for another RD though. Maybe Lazar for Sproul in Detroit since he's playing 7th man. Or a small asset for Goloubef in Colorado. Or maybe both. We need RD depth.

Horrible value and we have better internal replacements than Wideman.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Would love Berglund at the right price, but it depends if the Blues end up selling him for futures or if they keep him around for a playoff run. Am not against a Lazar/Berglund swap.

Brown isn't being moved unless Shwartz if coming back, so you can all stop dreaming about him, haha.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

We have a fill in for Shattenkirk and his name is Jordan Schmaltz. No interest in trading Berglund for Wideman.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Funnily, I doubt Wideman could be moved. He's played a big role on a team hovering around the Division lead. I totally understand Blues fans not wanting to move Berglund for him though.

Berglund would be a good pickup for Ottawa, although my personal preference is Boyle with his 54% faceoff abilities.

HoffmanIsGod68

Mar 1, 2015
Cornwall, Ontario
This is a silly thread. The Sens are in the forward market, yes, but we would be looking for a winger(s).

This Eklund-ish rumour is a non-starter for us Sens fans and I don't think any of us are interested in another Centre-iceman.

Look at our depth down the middle already:

Turris
Brassard
Pageau
Kelly
Smith
Lazar

and as for prospects, we have White and Brown coming up.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
This is a silly thread. The Sens are in the forward market, yes, but we would be looking for a winger(s).

This Eklund-ish rumour is a non-starter for us Sens fans and I don't think any of us are interested in another Centre-iceman.

Look at our depth down the middle already:

Turris
Brassard
Pageau
Kelly
Smith
Lazar

and as for prospects, we have White and Brown coming up.

Berglund is a center/winger just like Smith

I can easily seeing Boucher wanting another two way player who provides depth

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If the Sens are in on Lehtera who makes nearly 5M for two years after this season, there are two plausible situations.

The first would be that the Blues are the "contender who likes Bobby Ryan better than their top 6 guy" that I think it was AJ Jakubec of TSN referenced a few weeks ago when Ryan trade speculation first heated up. That would mean we're going to see something based around Bobby Ryan to STL for Lehtera+Berglund.

Second possibility would be that Clarke MacArthur is retiring for good and his contract isn't insured. Sens are a budget team, the Blues are supposedly a cap team. So in that scenario we'd see the Sens swap their LTIR MacArthur contract for Lehtera's cap hit with a similar logic to the Blue Jackets acquiring an overpaid David Clarkson for Horton's LTIR contract.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
If the Sens are in on Lehtera who makes nearly 5M for two years after this season, there are two plausible situations.

The first would be that the Blues are the "contender who likes Bobby Ryan better than their top 6 guy" that I think it was AJ Jakubec of TSN referenced a few weeks ago when Ryan trade speculation first heated up. That would mean we're going to see something based around Bobby Ryan to STL for Lehtera+Berglund.

Second possibility would be that Clarke MacArthur is retiring for good and his contract isn't insured. Sens are a budget team, the Blues are supposedly a cap team. So in that scenario we'd see the Sens swap their LTIR MacArthur contract for Lehtera's cap hit with a similar logic to the Blue Jackets acquiring an overpaid David Clarkson for Horton's LTIR contract.

The Blues are a cap team but they're not an 'over the cap' team willing to take on somebody's LTIR salary for another 3 years. St. Louis isn't a big enough market for that kind of spending.

crayzy8

Jul 7, 2009
Carleton Place
If Logan Brown is on the table for one of Berglund or Lehtera, then Ottawa is either way lower on Brown than I thought or too high on Berglund/Lehtera

I'm thinking that the reason we hear Logan Brown's name is because Dorion has refused to move Chabot or White, thus leaving Brown as the next best prospect we have.

I do like Brown, I love his size, if he can pan out then having a big center like that is going to be awesome for the Sens

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Berglund is a center/winger just like Smith

I can easily seeing Boucher wanting another two way player who provides depth

The problem is berglund is a left shot. The left side is already fairly deep. Unless they move Pageau to the right side and berglund in the middle but that doesn't seem all that likely imo. I think a right shot would be a more likely target if we are talking about a player of berglunds calibre

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Wow I never knew Lethera was making 5M for the 2 next years. That's insane.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

4.7...it's about a million more than he should be making. Not a good contract, but it's not as bad as many Blues fans make it out to be. He's quite good defensively and is a decent passer. Just has zero finish and is pretty slow. Decent/good 3C, not completely useless but a bit overpaid.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

4.7M cap hit in relation to The Blues.

In relation to Ottawa who would care more about his real salary since they won't spend to the cap, his real money AAV would be 4.85M as he makes 4.7M next yer and 5M the year after.

So "nearly 5M" in both cap and real money AAV. A bit closer in real money.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Would love Berglund at the right price, but it depends if the Blues end up selling him for futures or if they keep him around for a playoff run. Am not against a Lazar/Berglund swap.

Brown isn't being moved unless Shwartz if coming back, so you can all stop dreaming about him, haha.

You're nuts if you think Brown is even close to the value that Schwartz* has. I like Brown, I wouldn't mind having him on the Blues, but a lot of things have to go right for him to be successful at the NHL level. Schwartz is already a proven 50-60 point two-way winger when he's healthy. I'd love to hear the argument about how Brown is somehow worth more than that. :popcorn:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You're nuts if you think Brown is even close to the value that Schwartz* has. I like Brown, I wouldn't mind having him on the Blues, but a lot of things have to go right for him to be successful at the NHL level. Schwartz is already a proven 50-60 point two-way winger when he's healthy. I'd love to hear the argument about how Brown is somehow worth more than that. :popcorn:

He didn't say Brown was worth more of even as much. He wasn't wrong either. If brown is moved it's likely in a package for a high profile player not a rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->