Rumor: Berggren about to be traded?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I have not thought he was soft from seeing him play previously, but maybe I wasn't watching closely enough? TBH I thought that was just a narrative getting thrown around on here by a select few.
He's soft. 20 hits all of last season, 3 of them were in his first game. Elmer and Zadina had more hits despite playing less than half as many games. His 16 takeaways in 67 games matches Zadina's numbers in 30 games, and we know Zadina sucks defensively, lol.

As for the eye test, you'll never see him challenge another player for the puck. That alone is a huge red flag.

He's only slightly smaller than NHL average, at 5'11" and 197 lbs. He just still plays like he's still at his draft weight. If there's a player that needs a change of scenery to motivate him, it's Burger. He's gotta go through a bunch of coaches like Sprong or Domi to figure out that the issue is him and not the coach.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
He's absolutely soft, anyone debating that is living in fantasyland. But soft players succeed in the NHL all the time, it's not a trait that disqualifies you from being a successful player. @OgeeOgelthorpe is right, the thing that is currently disqualifying him from a real NHL role is his embarrassing lack of compete. He's a giveaway machine without even touching the puck because he gives up on battles that he should otherwise have at least a 50/50 chance of winning due to his speed. He tilts the ice in the wrong direction this season.

He's been compared to Nyquist a lot on this forum in the past, but Nyquist, who's also a soft player, had very good compete (same with Tatar). And that's basically a requirement when you're smaller and softer than average. If Berggren can't up that part of his game, he's useless to Detroit and they should absolutely package him up for an upgrade somewhere else on the roster while he still has perceived value.
It's about damn time you admitted this. I'm saving that post.
at-this-point-he-knew-he-fuc*ed-up.gif

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Dude half my posts are trolling leafs, habs and sens fans. Ergo, I am right at least 50% of the time.
Actually it's even better than that.

anchorman-60.gif

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Are photos and gifs not displaying for other people too? Or is it just me? Did I get an infraction or something? I probably got an infraction. I’m mean. But I promise to be nicer. Please give me pictures and gifs back :puppy:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Are photos and gifs not displaying for other people too? Or is it just me? Did I get an infraction or something? I probably got an infraction. I’m mean. But I promise to be nicer. Please give me pictures and gifs back :puppy:
EDited: I tried to link the same GIF, didn't work. Tried uploading it, it's too big. File is over 6MB, which appears to be the issue.

I've linked GIFs before, here's a smaller one as a test
giphy.gif

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
EDited: I tried to link the same GIF, didn't work. Tried uploading it, it's too big. File is over 6MB, which appears to be the issue.

I've linked GIFs before, here's a smaller one as a test
giphy.gif
Ha, nice, ok yeah I can see that one. What a relief lol.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Some of the hate for this guy is a little strong. Sure, he isn't going to challenge for a Selke anytime soon. But keep this in mind.

Since 2022-23
Andrew Copp 109 games played 14 goals
Jonatan Berggren 72 games played 16 goals.

Sure Copp does other things, but has a way high cap hit as well. If you could get rid of one today, who do you punt?

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Some of the hate for this guy is a little strong. Sure, he isn't going to challenge for a Selke anytime soon. But keep this in mind.

Since 2022-23

Sure Copp does other things, but has a way high cap hit as well. If you could get rid of one today, who do you punt?
Coppowey?

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Mine are working fine, but since the most recent migration last week, some peoples avatars are not displaying and are just blank spaces.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Define ‘about to be’?

Probably going to hang on to him for now.
The injuries are gonna postpone any trades, maybe something was in the works, maybe not.

Regardless, his market value might have gone up, not just because of the goal but because he actually won a few puck battles yesterday. So maybe the coaches are getting through to him. Now if he engages defensively and throws a few hits, he might get somewhere.

If he's smart, he'll notice that the Wings are 30th in the league in hits, they need someone out there throwing checks as well as scoring. If he played like he did in his first game last season, he'd have a permanent roster spot.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I'll concede it's possible this trade rumor was started by the Wings in order to motivate Berggren. That would be quite the disinformation campaign. More likely, I'd bet he's actually on the block, and it was also reported that the call-up wouldn't change that.

Either way, Berggren playing well increases his value, which is good regardless of whether you hold him or trade him.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
In his 72 game NHL career he is a .41 PPG player with 13 minutes of TOI. He wasn't drafted to be a banger and I don't see him as unwilling to go into the harder to play spots on the ice nor lackadaisical off the puck.

If he is on the block, other teams must see value in his play. I'd rather see Copp, Rasmussen and any of those 30 plus D moved before him, but I fear they have LESS value than JB. If not, what the heck does this guy bring in return?! Nothing the Wings can use.

IMO the big miss was not getting Nikita Zadorov. A 3rd and 4th round pick. The Nucks stole him. Is JB worth a 3rd and 4th?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
IMO the big miss was not getting Nikita Zadorov. A 3rd and 4th round pick. The Nucks stole him. Is JB worth a 3rd and 4th?

This is working under the assumption that this same trade was available to every GM in the league and only the canucks accepted. You can't work under that assumption or you'll kill yourself. Just like Devon Toews and Graves for cheap. Just like the Timo Meier trade. Those were poor value trades that were likely offered to only one team.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
At forward, Kent Johnson would be someone I could see being dealt for Berggren. I could also see a team on the playoff bubble, like Edmonton, St Louis or Carolina trading for him.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
At forward, Kent Johnson would be someone I could see being dealt for Berggren. I could also see a team on the playoff bubble, like Edmonton, St Louis or Carolina trading for him.

I don't see why Colombus trading someone who scored 40 points at 20 years old and was a 5th overall pick a couple years ago for Berggren but I don't follow Colombus at all. Unless it's park of a bigger package?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Since 2022-23

Berggren.

The cap hit isn't an issue. Copp is a center who takes the 3rd most faceoffs behind Larkin and Compher and he can play in all situations (though he should not really be on the PP, but can play there).

It's not that I love Copp or dislike Berggren but if I'm forced to pick one, it's Copp. Can you imagine if we only had Berggren right now with Larkin and Compher out?

Reactions: saska sault

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Berggren.

The cap hit isn't an issue. Copp is a center who takes the 3rd most faceoffs behind Larkin and Compher and he can play in all situations (though he should not really be on the PP, but can play there).

It's not that I love Copp or dislike Berggren but if I'm forced to pick one, it's Copp. Can you imagine if we only had Berggren right now with Larkin and Compher out?
People should go easy on Copp. The entire roster has taken an EITHER/OR approach to playing offense and defense.

He just chose differently than everybody else. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad