Rumor: Berggren about to be traded?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not necessarily...

Man a dman that can demand 8x8.5m is a top end guy...

I'm hoping SE can be that guy but its certainly no guarantee
Gaudreau took $1.5M/yr less to not sign in Calgary. Winterpeg just signed guys to deals worth about $1-1.5M/1-2yrs more than they would have gotten on the open market. Some teams have to bid very high in order to retain talent. Even then, Hanifin is a #2-3 kind of guy (as are Weegar and Andersson). $6-8M/yr is going to be that price point for that tier player.

Ed could step into the #2/3 role tomorrow and be fine.

Reactions: letsgowings9999

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
That's not what I said...I said it's not a certainty that either SE or ASP will ever be as good of a NHL hockey player as one who today (in todays dollars) according to you will command "8x8.5m"

It is a certainty in my opinion that Bedard will command more than Copp because he is already so much better

Cant just go after guys like hanifin x8 and worry about if guys we think will be key players exceed expectations and deal with the problem then. Especially in a position were loaded at

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Why not?

Is it better to do the opposite and do nothing and just hope one day player x will be a high end dman ?

I have high hope's for SE and ASP but that's all they're..hopes..

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
And I just noticed berggren scored again in grand Rapids. This is getting ridiculous,yzerman said hed always make room for guys who deserved it and forced themselves in

Dont know what else berggren needs to do. Dealing him would be a big mistake. Yzerman needs to make room for berggren and edvinsson asap

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Gaudreau took $1.5M/yr less to not sign in Calgary. Winterpeg just signed guys to deals worth about $1-1.5M/1-2yrs more than they would have gotten on the open market. Some teams have to bid very high in order to retain talent. Even then, Hanifin is a #2-3 kind of guy (as are Weegar and Andersson). $6-8M/yr is going to be that price point for that tier player.

Ed could step into the #2/3 role tomorrow and be fine.
Personally I don't think SE could step on any NHL ice tomorrow and be a consistent reliable #2/3 dman for us..

That's a pretty rate trait

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Edvinsson's a pretty rare player. IMO he won't stay a #2/3 for very long...
For at most his 1st and 2nd season.

After that he will be #1/2 (most likely #1 ahead of Seider)

I don’t think Berggren will be traded. I think he’s a full timer next year and most likely after the trade deadline as well.

I also don’t have a problem with over ripening him in the AHL. Let him have an amazing career year down there and develop as much as he can. Next year he can earn a top 6 position and hopefully not let go of it.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
What big swing offensive guys are you talking about?

Stamkos and Nylander are the only 2 and Stamkos is too old to commit to longterm(assuming he wants anything more than 3 years) and I dont see Nylander making it to July 1st unsigned... the rest of the free agency crop is not elite.

I think any chance the DRW have an elite superstar are slim to none unless it comes out of nowhere(a kucherov scenario) and if one does become available ...well...you cross that bridge at that time

Hanifin and Markstrom may not be the best fit but..its guys like that we have a chance at moreso thsn anyone else
Would just be absolutely insane if nylander just tells every team to fu*k off, I always wanted that red and white on my back and we sign him lmao.

I think I would instantly buy his jersey (i only have two and one (signed) was a gift from datsyuk's agent, NBD) and I rarely buy a lot of team stuff. I would also give him a pass on absolutely everything and I don't care what those ramifications would be lol

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Stevie has no pressure to make the playoffs. Any other GM in his 5th year would be fired if the team didn't make the playoffs.

All that talk about rebuilding through the draft, and the team's stacked with crap veterans.
Oh shut up lol. What did you think he meant when he said this is going to be a long process. I swear some of you sound terminal.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Oh shut up lol. What did you think he meant when he said this is going to be a long process. I swear some of you sound terminal.

Not gonna argue against you and I do think SY has done a good job..

Two questions though...

1.. how long, in time, should paying fans expect it to take before substantial tesm results are seen(not just incremental or personal)

2.. if the YBY(years before Yzerman) dont count, if SY were to be replaced, do his rebuild years count or is it again a start all over?

Just curious is all

Reactions: jkutswings

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Not gonna argue against you and I do think SY has done a good job..

Two questions though...

1.. how long, in time, should paying fans expect it to take before substantial tesm results are seen(not just incremental or personal)

2.. if the YBY(years before Yzerman) dont count, if SY were to be replaced, do his rebuild years count or is it again a start all over?

Just curious is all
1) I don't believe in this sentiment. Putting out a playoff team that won't win isn't the game. Which happens every year in this sport. I believe once you have top 6 core and top 2 dmen that's when you should start focusing on "swings" or giving up assets at for a possible push.

2) if SY was replaced it would be because the owner no longer agreed with SY's long view. And we would switch to the non winning philosophy of signing overpaid players or trading good picks for aging players..

SY walked into Hedman and Stamkos and still took his time in Tampa.

Hollands prehistoric ass was using cap space on bum after bum paying guys like Frans Nielson because he "paid his dues". Old school shit like that stopped our rebuild when it should have started.

When you look at our top 6 and it's not performing at a top 10 rate on the power play do we look like a playoff team? Nope. He's not gonna get everything right all the time (Ben Chariot) ... But if our "young guys" can't beat out the sprongs, holls maatas of the world then they ain't ready. Lalonde wants to win games and we aren't getting anything from our goalies but I wouldn't pay to take an injury prone Gibson.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
1) I don't believe in this sentiment. Putting out a playoff team that won't win isn't the game. Which happens every year in this sport. I believe once you have top 6 core and top 2 dmen that's when you should start focusing on "swings" or giving up assets at for a possible push.

2) if SY was replaced it would be because the owner no longer agreed with SY's long view. And we would switch to the non winning philosophy of signing overpaid players or trading good picks for aging players..

SY walked into Hedman and Stamkos and still took his time in Tampa.

Hollands prehistoric ass was using cap space on bum after bum paying guys like Frans Nielson because he "paid his dues". Old school shit like that stopped our rebuild when it should have started.

When you look at our top 6 and it's not performing at a top 10 rate on the power play do we look like a playoff team? Nope. He's not gonna get everything right all the time (Ben Chariot) ... But if our "young guys" can't beat out the sprongs, holls maatas of the world then they ain't ready. Lalonde wants to win games and we aren't getting anything from our goalies but I wouldn't pay to take an injury prone Gibson.
Copp, Chiarot, Petry, Holl…how is Yzerman not doing the same thing?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Stevie has no pressure to make the playoffs. Any other GM in his 5th year would be fired if the team didn't make the playoffs.

All that talk about rebuilding through the draft, and the team's stacked with crap veterans.
Catching heat for not making the playoffs - maybe, but certainly there's heat for not showing improvement these past 5 seasons.

Total 180 here - October/November what success the team had - it's come to a total halt once December hit...Gut wrenching if you ask me :(.

Some say it's scheduling, the trip to Sweden, they're tired, etc...Nonsense - these are guys in their 20s/30s - physically in prime shape - not pubescent teens.

IMHO Yzerman's #1 fault is likely not going outside his comfort zone with the coaching staff.

Reactions: Konnan511

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Catching heat for not making the playoffs - maybe, but certainly there's heat for not showing improvement these past 5 seasons.

Total 180 here - October/November what success the team had - it's come to a total halt once December hit...Gut wrenching if you ask me :(.

Some say it's scheduling, the trip to Sweden, they're tired, etc...Nonsense - these are guys in their 20s/30s - physically in prime shape - not pubescent teens.

IMHO Yzerman's #1 fault is likely not going outside his comfort zone with the coaching staff.

5 years into the rebuild, and it's still basically a one line team. If Larkin's out or playing injured, this team is borderline AHL.

Also, it makes more sense to have an actual legit starter in goal, these backup goalies aren't built to take a high workload apparently.

Reactions: FMichael

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Copp, Chiarot, Petry, Holl…how is Yzerman not doing the same thing?
I mean as those contracts phase out we will have to pay the youngs we have ... Don't we have 30 mill in cap next year.. I'll say it again it sounds like some of u have a year to live with how desperate some of the posts are .... Surprised compher not on ur list above he would be if it was a week before the start of the season but since he's worked out he's omitted.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I mean as those contracts phase out we will have to pay the youngs we have ... Don't we have 30 mill in cap next year.. I'll say it again it sounds like some of u have a year to live with how desperate some of the posts are .... Surprised compher not on ur list above he would be if it was a week before the start of the season but since he's worked out he's omitted.
Yes of course the ones that work out are omitted the entire point I’m trying to make is that it’s OK to sign some or a few of these kinds of players, just not fill 50% of the roster with them.

Reactions: Snuggs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad