Rumor: Berggren about to be traded?

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Anybody else feel like quoting it? That would be very nice, I might forget about it again and again.. :sarcasm:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I saw something speculating that the penguins could land a 1st + a very good prospect for Guentzel.

Berggren + a 1st feels hefty but Guentzel represents an enticing addition.

Guentzel Larkin Ray
Kane Compher Debrincat

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I saw something speculating that the penguins could land a 1st + a very good prospect for Guentzel.

Berggren + a 1st feels hefty but Guentzel represents an enticing addition.

Guentzel Larkin Ray
Kane Compher Debrincat

No way should we be trading anymore 1st roundeds until the team proves it can make the playoffs, that's my opinion. You essentially give up a high prospect and years of cheap control for a high dollar contract who may work out , and if it doesn't.. your in Toronto Maple Leafs land when they traded for Kessel. Not saying those are identical but the Debrincat trade was cheap, he wanted to be only here. I don't think throwing assets around to get better on paper is the way out of a rebuild.

Also, Merry Christmas!! Go Wings Go!

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Big difference. Kronner was always a 2nd pair guy. He was always in over his head on top pair. Larkin is a great 2 way center that's a ppg and makes his linemates better

But who was Kronner behind his whole career until he retired? A HHoF in Lidstrom. Until he retired, then Kronner took it up. Granted he was 33+ but if he was not behind a all time great he would have taken over top line in his prime late 20's.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Anyone on here have a legit, decent analysis of why Berggren isn't with the DRW? Stat watching is truly not indicative of ability, but what is he doing/not doing that is keeping him in the A instead of up with the big club?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Anyone on here have a legit, decent analysis of why Berggren isn't with the DRW? Stat watching is truly not indicative of ability, but what is he doing/not doing that is keeping him in the A instead of up with the big club?
Being allowed to play on a scoring line. That's literally it. There's guys on the Wings top 2 lines just as bad defensively as he is, but they have tenure so... is what it is.

Reactions: lgrws91

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
The wings are chalked full of veteran wingers who struggle defensively but are slightly better on the forecheck then Berggren. Plus wings management value Perron's leadership.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I'd say this probably sums it up:
1712249373198.png

Then you throw in that you have to make a tough call that if he plays any more NHL games you won't able to send him back to GR , which could still be good for him and everyone in GR, and that helps to make your decision to keep him down.

Reactions: Winger98

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'd say this probably sums it up:
View attachment 845934

Then you throw in that you have to make a tough call that if he plays any more NHL games you won't able to send him back to GR , which could still be good for him and everyone in GR, and that helps to make your decision to keep him down.
Sprong has better shot , everything else Berggren is better And cheaper.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
This Berggren situation reminds me a lot of Tomas Tatar back during the lockout shortened season in 2013.

Tatar got that lengthy call up where he provided more offense than a lot of other dead weight the team had at wing that season but then got abruptly sent back down with Babs and Co. saying he still had work to do on his game without the puck. Of course the fanbase (already at a nuclear heat level over Gusteve Nyzerman spending most of that year in the AHL at that point so far and what seemed like a guaranteed future HOFer in Jan Mursak clearing waivers and getting sent down) just completely melted down like the team demoted a prime Jagr.

Tatar then used whatever disappointment or frustration he had as fuel to score 20% of the Griffins goals on the way to a Calder Cup and then a pretty much guaranteed NHL roster spot the next season.

I guess we can only hope for a similar result for Berggren.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think the weirdest thing is that anybody thinks it's weird. Maybe I'm on an island, but I look at Berggren and I kinda yawn a bit. I just don't see that skill set (in the degree shown thus far) as being anything special.

I mean, could he eventually top out as a Nyquist kinda guy? I suppose. But that's kinda like saying, "YES! I get to have TOAST for breakfast!!!" Completely serviceable, but pretty run-of-the-mill.

Even if he sticks with the team and plays well in Detroit, I think all of Edvinsson, Danielson, Kasper, Cossa, and ASP will have significantly more impact, and I'd rank Wallinder, Johansson, Mazur, Augustine, and Buchelnikov as more intriguing prospects as well.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I keep hearing how we need to hit a homerun with some of our pucks. If Bergy turns into Nyqusi I’m not sure how much more of a homerun we can hit with an early second rounder. I think Steve got surprised with how well he was playing in the AHL this year. He signed all this FAs to buy time and they all played well. He put himself into a bit of a spot

Reactions: lilidk

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I keep hearing how we need to hit a homerun with some of our pucks. If Bergy turns into Nyqusi I’m not sure how much more of a homerun we can hit with an early second rounder. I think Steve got surprised with how well he was playing in the AHL this year. He signed all this FAs to buy time and they all played well. He put himself into a bit of a spot
Yeah. A Nyquist/Hudler cookin' on the 2nd line and PP is what we've been missing since... we had a Hudler/Nyquist cookin on the 2nd line and PP...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
considering Nyquist has more points than anyone on the Wings does this year maybe the Wings could use a Nyquist

Man, did everyone sleep on him in free agency. Nice resurgence for him. I wish we had him for more years when the Wings were competitive.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think the weirdest thing is that anybody thinks it's weird. Maybe I'm on an island, but I look at Berggren and I kinda yawn a bit. I just don't see that skill set (in the degree shown thus far) as being anything special.

I mean, could he eventually top out as a Nyquist kinda guy? I suppose. But that's kinda like saying, "YES! I get to have TOAST for breakfast!!!" Completely serviceable, but pretty run-of-the-mill.

Even if he sticks with the team and plays well in Detroit, I think all of Edvinsson, Danielson, Kasper, Cossa, and ASP will have significantly more impact, and I'd rank Wallinder, Johansson, Mazur, Augustine, and Buchelnikov as more intriguing prospects as well.

This is my feeling about him. He never really made me step out and notice him in a great way. He is just kind of there. I think he will eventually get a decent amount of games, but he will just be a 20-40 pt guy who bounces around.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
20+40 guy.

Nothing about his play shows that so far. He is a great pt guy in the AHL, but I don't think he is good enough to be in many teams top 6 offences. We don't even have a great top 6 overall and I don't even see the argument that can be made that he is better than anyone on Detroit for a top 6 role. Fabbri and Sprong are better from what I have seen at offence and they can't even crack the top 6 here. Perron is just there because Lalonde, like all coaches have players they love and play them above their station.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Nothing about his play shows that so far. He is a great pt guy in the AHL, but I don't think he is good enough to be in many teams top 6 offences. We don't even have a great top 6 overall and I don't even see the argument that can be made that he is better than anyone on Detroit for a top 6 role. Fabbri and Sprong are better from what I have seen at offence and they can't even crack the top 6 here. Perron is just there because Lalonde, like all coaches have players they love and play them above their station.
He dropped 28 points on a 4th line with primarily Veleno and whoever else. If you think his max capability is 20-40points... I don't know what to tell you.

Stick Kane with Veleno and Fischer and see how many points he gets there...

It's the same silliness with people that didn't believe Hudler could be effective because he wasn't suited for the bottom 6. Got an opportunity to play on a scoring line and finished top 10 in league scoring. This organization has a long history of square pegs and round holes. It's not the player's fault if the organization can't figure out how to properly use them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad