Rumor: Berggren about to be traded?

Why would they trade this guy instead of making room for him? I simply don't get it.

It’s been discussed in here. Seems like you disagree but he’s a middle six winger, which we have a lot of, that is horrible defensively and has the body of a 16yr old. He wore down significantly last season and the organization seems to think that his deficiencies will hinder him from being a productive player for a long time to come. And if the org thinks that then it’s a must to trade him cause his value will decline over time. Deal from a position of strength for a position of need, so goalie or top4.

Reactions: dj4aces

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
…Kent Johnson? Like top 5 pick, future 1st line C, several orders of magnitude better than Berggren Johnson?

The same Johnson that was sent down for 10 games in the AHL, after a full season in the NHL last year and on the same team that is mismanaging Fantilli, - who is playing on the 4th line now - . Columbus looks like a tire-fire and if the opportunity arises, Detroit should pounce on Johnson.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
The same Johnson that was sent down for 10 games in the AHL, after a full season in the NHL last year and on the same team that is mismanaging Fantilli, - who is playing on the 4th line now - . Columbus looks like a tire-fire and if the opportunity arises, Detroit should pounce on Johnson.
Man there is no chance we are getting Kent Johnson for anything other than Edvinsson, Kasper, or Danielson, plus more.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I like Berggren and I'm not opposed to trading him but I don't agree with the frustration of having him in the AHL. I don't know that there is anyone he really should be ahead of? Not Cat, or Ray. I liked the gamble of adding Kane. Fabbri has been really good. I think Sprong is a better 3rd line scorer. I still have time for Perron in the top 9/PP. Copp, Kostin, Fischer, Veleno, Ras play different roles. He's got more skill than Czarnik but Czarnik brings some positional depth down the middle.

Regardless, Yzerman has built the team to have Ed and Berggren in the AHL by design to maximize depth. Being able to bring in a guy of Berggren's caliber when a wave of injuries strikes is a bit of a luxury. Sure maybe you can dump a guy like Perron for a mid round pick to make room (Im not sold Berggren is the better player) but then who do you call up when there is an injury? a developing Kasper? Taro Hirose? The organization is better off with Perron, fabbri and sprong in the NHL and Berggren as the depth/insurance for injuries.

Its similar with the D. Is Edvinsson a better option than some of our guys? Maybe, but to have 6-7 guys plus Edvinsson waiting in the minors is a stronger total system than dumping, say, Maatta and then subsequently leaning on Rafferty/Johansson as your injury call ups.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I like Berggren and I'm not opposed to trading him but I don't agree with the frustration of having him in the AHL. I don't know that there is anyone he really should be ahead of? Not Cat, or Ray. I liked the gamble of adding Kane. Fabbri has been really good. I think Sprong is a better 3rd line scorer. I still have time for Perron in the top 9/PP. Copp, Kostin, Fischer, Veleno, Ras play different roles. He's got more skill than Czarnik but Czarnik brings some positional depth down the middle.

Regardless, Yzerman has built the team to have Ed and Berggren in the AHL by design to maximize depth. Being able to bring in a guy of Berggren's caliber when a wave of injuries strikes is a bit of a luxury. Sure maybe you can dump a guy like Perron for a mid round pick to make room (Im not sold Berggren is the better player) but then who do you call up when there is an injury? a developing Kasper? Taro Hirose? The organization is better off with Perron, fabbri and sprong in the NHL and Berggren as the depth/insurance for injuries.

Its similar with the D. Is Edvinsson a better option than some of our guys? Maybe, but to have 6-7 guys plus Edvinsson waiting in the minors is a stronger total system than dumping, say, Maatta and then subsequently leaning on Rafferty/Johansson as your injury call ups.

Well at least in case of Edvinsson it's a bad strategy. You either suck, but then you'are not signing enyone with term or you are trying to compete, but then you're icing your best team every night. Trying to produce artificial depth is a solving minor problem by creating a major one. Especially why you keep drafting defensemen if you don't trust them till they are 30 - just draft forwards and keep signing/trading for those mediocre vets.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
:rolleyes:
Edvinsson is all of 20 years old and coming off a summer of shoulder surgery, it is not some outrageous thing that he started the year in the AHL. One of the reasons he's still down there is that the Wings have been freakishly fortunate to not have a significant injury hit the D-men.

Now, you could say jettison one of the vets (and rumors are Yzerman is exploring trades) to make room for him, but as we've seen with the forwards and goalies, injuries can come out of nowhere.

I'm completely fine with the roster gradually evolving and not rushing to make moves just to get the kids in as fast as possible.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Why would they trade this guy instead of making room for him? I simply don't get it.
What does he bring to the ice that is worth making room for him?

I get it. We as fans tend to be very high on most of our prospects, but Berggren is also in that spot where if we can include him in a package for someone who can make an impact, we should kick the tires and see if a trade like that is worth our while.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Well at least in case of Edvinsson it's a bad strategy. You either suck, but then you'are not signing enyone with term or you are trying to compete, but then you're icing your best team every night. Trying to produce artificial depth is a solving minor problem by creating a major one. Especially why you keep drafting defensemen if you don't trust them till they are 30 - just draft forwards and keep signing/trading for those mediocre vets.
Not to mention Chiarot or Holl can just as freely move up and down between leagues. No one is going to claim them.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It’s been discussed in here. Seems like you disagree but he’s a middle six winger, which we have a lot of, that is horrible defensively and has the body of a 16yr old. He wore down significantly last season and the organization seems to think that his deficiencies will hinder him from being a productive player for a long time to come. And if the org thinks that then it’s a must to trade him cause his value will decline over time. Deal from a position of strength for a position of need, so goalie or top4.
Burger is listed at 197 lbs.

I liked his play in this last call up, he won some puck battles along the boards. Still looks lost defensively at times. Definitely some progress.

I don't see the need to trade him. There will be roster space if Perron isn't re-signed. Plus Fabbri will more than likely miss some games next season.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Stable is not how i would desccribe Chiarot's game even if at his best.
Most stable. The others have just been less stable in dzone, not clearing pucks or just icing them. Chiarot has been pretty good near the boards too. I would not send him down.

Only way I see to get Ed up unless there are injuries, is to trade Maatta.

Reactions: sepster

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He was the most stable dman in the preseason?
As good an argument as anyone else, yes.

Neither preseasons or his 9 game stint, was he any lower than the 3rd best D on the ice. One or two rough games, but as a whole, no worse than 3rd. He outplayed Mo in both preseasons, IMO. But Mo isn't going to sit for anyone (except Ghost in must win situations apparently...)

Burger is listed at 197 lbs.

I liked his play in this last call up, he won some puck battles along the boards. Still looks lost defensively at times. Definitely some progress.

I don't see the need to trade him. There will be roster space if Perron isn't re-signed. Plus Fabbri will more than likely miss some games next season.

No, there is no need. And if he’s valued at a 2nd from a contender, then I’d rather keep him. But if he is a piece in a trade that upgrades an area of need, then I’m not scratching and clawing to keep him. Like always it’s about replacement level. You can easily replace a player like Berggren.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
I‘d like to go back to the „he doesn’t defend well enough to stick“ argument - how does that make any sense, if all other lineups without him get scored on like <i don’t even know what to put in here> all season, too? :skeptic:

I‘d like to go back to the „he doesn’t defend well enough to stick“ argument - how does that make any sense, if all other lineups without him get scored on like <i don’t even know what to put in here> all season, too? :skeptic:

Fair. But it is not only about him as a player in a vacuum. It’s also about the amount of bad defensive forwards and/or undersized players you can throw out there with good conscience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad