Bergevin's personnel moves

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Why bother? You have already made up your mind and any move he makes or made is " incredible". Just saint him already.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...
Subban gamble nets him a 4 out of 10 IMO We ALL knew this guy needed a long long term at the bridge
The DD and Moen extentions were a year too long.
That was not MB's fault our progression is a year ahead of the most optimistic prognosis'
Which in itself is a testament to his other body of work (picking up drift wood)...:laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Almost all of his moves are 3rd/4th line guys which have been nice but he is living off the players already here. He did bring in his own management but according to most here Therrien is the devil incarnate and the PP has been downright horrible.

I guess we are in a revisionist history mood so I will just go with it.
"I believe in Marc"
I agree it takes a while to evaluate a GM and even now it's probably too early to really know how good he's going to be.

He started off poorly with bad moves on the free agent market. The Subban deal was a fiasco (no matter what people here try to say) and I still don't like the hiring of MT.

But give credit where it's due. Since those early moves he's done a very good job. Those 3rd liners that he's brought on have all paid off. The Vanek move was brilliant. The Sekac move was even better. He's brought on Gonchar (something I thought didn't make a whole lot of sense) and that seems like it's been a good move...

Come on man, give the guy some credit.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
On the one hand, I like his trades:

-Cole's contract for Ryder's expiring contract and a 3rd

-Moen's contract for Gonchar's expiring contract and Gonchar may turn out to be our #3 dman this year and help for a couple more years in the best case scenario.

-Weise for Diaz.

-Parenteau (useful) for Briere (useless)

-although we lost a 2nd and Collberg (not too high on him) in the Vanek deal, Vanek helped us get into the playoffs, helped us in the first couple rounds, helped Pacioretty, and showed the playoffs he'll be aggressive at the deadline to go for the cup.

On the other hand, his signings have been high. Hopefully he'll learn from his experiences.

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
He's made some bad signings, but what GM hasn't? The good thing about MB is his lack of stubbornness imo. His ego didn't prevent him from shipping out Briere, letting Murray walk etc etc. Out of all his bad moves, none of them have been long-term crippling. The only thing he did wrong in a major way is Subban, imagine us with another 5million in capspace while we're amongst the best teams in the league. Now is the time we needed those extra $ to get additional assets for a run. Oh well, the important thing here is we still have PK.

This is why MB gains a lot of respect from me. I had doubts in his first couple decisions but he seems to recognize them very quickly and correct them brilliantly. Maybe it's just me but he seems to take a step back from the media too which is always a great thing. Let the team does the show. His recent moves are paying off. What's great is that the team core/future is intact.

I think all good GM needs a little luck. We may got that lucky break from getting Sekac for free last summer. An immediate NHLer who shows sign of being a real good top 6.

I will wait a little more on Gonchar trade. It can't be bad even if Gonchar doesn't have enough left in the tank, Moen has no place in Montreal anyways.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I've been extremely happy with Bergevin so far, mainly cause i accept that nobody hit for a 1.000 either.

He's been a low risk/high rewards trader so far. He managed the cap situation really well through trades also. But he has yet to make "the" big trade or a very unpopular trade that would shape his era....not sure if that trade will ever come considering Bergevin might not want to make such a trade and shape his era entirely on his draft.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I agree it takes a while to evaluate a GM and even now it's probably too early to really know how good he's going to be.

He started off poorly with bad moves on the free agent market. The Subban deal was a fiasco (no matter what people here try to say) and I still don't like the hiring of MT.

But give credit where it's due. Since those early moves he's done a very good job. Those 3rd liners that he's brought on have all paid off. The Vanek move was brilliant. The Sekac move was even better. He's brought on Gonchar (something I thought didn't make a whole lot of sense) and that seems like it's been a good move...

Come on man, give the guy some credit.

I agree.

Bergevin is a better GM today than he was a year and a half ago; it's a thing called experience. If the biggest mistakes are the ones he made early in his career then the Habs have a very good GM on their hands and that translates into a bright future.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I've been extremely happy with Bergevin so far, mainly cause i accept that nobody hit for a 1.000 either.

He's been a low risk/high rewards trader so far. He managed the cap situation really well through trades also. But he has yet to make "the" big trade or a very unpopular trade that would shape his era....not sure if that trade will ever come considering Bergevin might not want to make such a trade and shape his era entirely on his draft.

His toughest decisions are just around the corner IMO.
We have to believe sometime within the next year MB will try for the fences.
I don't think we have the key ingredients in Hamilton.
We may have to mortage picks propects at one point.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
His toughest decisions are just around the corner IMO.
We have to believe sometime within the next year MB will try for the fences.
I don't think we have the key ingredients in Hamilton.
We may have to mortage picks propects at one point.

He showed he's not afraid to do that last year with the Vanek trade, but I don't think he'll do anything crazy like trading 1st-round picks or any of our best prospects this year.

I could see him doing a similar trade to the Vanek one though, especially because we have an extra 2nd next year from the Gorges trade.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Why bother? You have already made up your mind and any move he makes or made is " incredible". Just saint him already.

i'm far from anointing him or nominating him for sainthood
however, it boggles the mind when he gets dissed for stop gap moves like briere and murray. Depending on who he went after in free agency and who said no, he still had bodies to sign.

I'm guessing your heartburn with him starts with the Subban contract?
Well, now that its done - get over it

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...
Subban gamble nets him a 4 out of 10 IMO We ALL knew this guy needed a long long term at the bridge
The DD and Moen extentions were a year too long.
That was not MB's fault our progression is a year ahead of the most optimistic prognosis'
Which in itself is a testament to his other body of work (picking up drift wood)...:laugh:

^^ the voice of reason

btw the anthem singer you refer to is briannah donolo?

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
He also had to pay to get his game used jersey before Moulson just sent it to him for free. That season was a gong show.

They were both in the wrong about the jersey.

Making $6 million a year, wanting to be the Captain of the Habs and too cheap to pay $600 for a jersey? If Cammy wanted it enough to ask for it, he should of wanted it enough to pay for it. And then bring it up in public, now that's an absence of class and tact.

Of course, Gauthier should of given it to him and shouldn't of handled the situation the way he did but that kind of behaviour on both their parts just embarrasses everyone.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
ROFL This Marshack acquisition still slays me.
We thought Sekac was something...
Just wait 'til Marshack hits the scene.
We need to get one if our HF Chronicler's to track down his history...:laugh:

My main concern is how Horshack progresses without his mentor around - perhaps the Habs could hire Mr Kotter in some capacity,or at least draft one of Epstein, Washington or Bobarino at the next draft? I'd go with Epstein ;-)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
My main concern is how Horshack progresses without his mentor around - perhaps the Habs could hire Mr Kotter in some capacity,or at least draft one of Epstein, Washington or Bobarino at the next draft? I'd go with Epstein ;-)

Kotter > Lefebvre :laugh:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
They were both in the wrong about the jersey.

Making $6 million a year, wanting to be the Captain of the Habs and too cheap to pay $600 for a jersey? If Cammy wanted it enough to ask for it, he should of wanted it enough to pay for it. And then bring it up in public, now that's an absence of class and tact.

Of course, Gauthier should of given it to him and shouldn't of handled the situation the way he did but that kind of behaviour on both their parts just embarrasses everyone.

I doubt Gauthier has evil and bad as he was really ask him to pay because MTL needed the money, having traded him mid game there was a issue between the 2 and asking him to pay for the jersey was just a other way to stick it to him... but your right the situation and how it was handle make everyone look bad.

On the other hand, his signings have been high. Hopefully he'll learn from his experiences.
Income Taxes in Montreal /Quebec are probably the highest in the league and we aren't a serious cup contender so it hard to get player at discount.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs spend a lot of money each year in front office personnel. A way of getting advantage...I think it will work out. Bergs has quite a deep staff to help him. Between himself, Timmins, Dudley, Carriere, Lapointe to touch on a few. Shouldn't be many mistakes.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Habs spend a lot of money each year in front office personnel. A way of getting advantage...I think it will work out. Bergs has quite a deep staff to help him. Between himself, Timmins, Dudley, Carriere, Lapointe to touch on a few. Shouldn't be many mistakes.

All that Money and not one of them know who Marshack is..:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad