Bergevin's personnel moves

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
While Gilbert has been a huge disappointment. I'm going to let that slide because he did have excellent advanced stats last season. We can't always play it safe nor can we win every deal. The good news is we only have Gilbert for another season, though I do wonder what the plan for Beaulieu and Tinordi is then.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
While Gilbert has been a huge disappointment. I'm going to let that slide because he did have excellent advanced stats last season. We can't always play it safe nor can we win every deal. The good news is we only have Gilbert for another season, though I do wonder what the plan for Beaulieu and Tinordi is then.

Weaver only has 1 year so I'm sure that's the plan

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Diaz for Weise: TRIUMPH Hehehehehehehe. Remember all the crying here after this trade ! Hehehehehe

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

I don't agree at all. Gilbert is exactly what I expected, bobbles the puck here and there early on, but his game has improved the last few. He's looking better and better and he never looked all that bad to begin with. Still prefer him over Gorges every day of the week.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I mean to be fair to Diaz he was shaping up to be a great #3/4 dman before his concussion. He was soft before the concussion but approached Cammalleri levels of soft afterwards which just doesn't cut it as a dman in the NHL. More complaints were directed towards acquiring Weise when we still had Moen and Prusts contracts. Diaz could still become a top 4 dman if he can stop being timid.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The thing that impresses me most about Bergevin is his ability to recognize when he makes a bad signing or move. Unlike most GM's who will ride that mistake out hoping it turns around, Bergy does what he can to jettison the player and move on.

ps. I think having Dudley with him helps. A guy that has been through the fire more than once and understands the necessity to cut ties with mistakes.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Many posters called Weise an AHL scrub....now many have called Gonchar washed up. Next time Bergevin makes a trade dozens will instantly call the player coming back a dud. It just keeps repeating itself over and over.

If you went back and catalogued all the comments made right after a transaction there would be an infinite number of responses that in hindsight look rather silly.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I mean to be fair to Diaz he was shaping up to be a great #3/4 dman before his concussion. He was soft before the concussion but approached Cammalleri levels of soft afterwards which just doesn't cut it as a dman in the NHL. More complaints were directed towards acquiring Weise when we still had Moen and Prusts contracts. Diaz could still become a top 4 dman if he can stop being timid.

If Diaz is in your top four, you're not winning the cup

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Diaz for Weise: TRIUMPH
Bourque for (in effect) Sekac: TRIUMPH
Briere for Parenteau: TRIUMPH
Moen for Gonchar: shorter contract + instant stimulus for PP
Gorges for (in effect) Weaver: Even, and increases cap room
Bouillon for (in effect) Gilbert: Plus
Prust signing: improvement
Budaj for pick + (in effect) Tokarski: win
Murray release: good riddance
Beaulieu: starting to look better
Keeping Plekanec and Eller: wise decisions
Malhotra: very useful
Marschak: promising draft pick
Gilbert: another RH G

Did I forget anyone? I posted from memory

Cole for Ryder and Crisp

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
He's a great GM, but this is extremely biased and also incorrect in a lot of cases since it doesn't even tell half the story

It was Gorges for pick...imo that was a loss since i think we could have fetched more than a 4th 2nd. Glad to see him gone though
Bourque was also traded for Cammalleri, also a loss.
Like Murray, Bouillon was released/let go
Tokarski was already our goalie, i'm sure you just made a type there

I don't think the OP was going for accuracy of actual trades or acquisitions, I think the point is to show how MB has handled player movement. Who weve managed to move and who we have retained in order to better the cap space and team. In that regard MB has done well.

DoctorPurple

Jun 9, 2014
Montreal, Canada
The depth of the team completely turned around in one or two seasons. Very satisfied for the moment with Bergevin.

He's among the youngest GMs and it shows. He actually does the common sense trades :laugh:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
MB has been much much better than the gainey/gauthier era...

But why do posters insist on being cheerleaders? Why present a terribly biased list of moves without identifying the mistakes?

MB is far from perfect... He's a rookie GM, a few big mistakes were inevitable, the interesting thing to watch is how he learns from them (not ignoring them completely)

last years ufa/roster adjustments were a fail
Subban contract situation a massive fail
Hiring, then Extending MT long term both serious fails

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Worst move in Putting Lefevre in Hamilton... Hope he fixes that one soon.

Sign Briere was a mistake but he turn that limonde into sweet lemon juice when he sent Briere for PAP + Pick . Clear winner

Cole for Ryder and Pick (Crisp): win since we got ride of Cole contrat
Diaz for Weise: Clear winner
Bourque to the AHL: Give him credit for doing the move but Sekac force him to make a move.
Moen for Gonchar: anything is better than Moen, but Gonchar is a pleasant surprise.
Gorges for 2rd pick: Loss but Gorges had to go eventual he got maximun return
Prust signing: great
Budaj and Holland for Tangradi: Budaj was the odd man out Holland had been past by everyone in the depth chart, Tangradi could see time in MTL but bring something that we lack but basically shed salary and a contract so it a win
Signing Eller: good decisions
Malhotra: Great and very under rated move
Gilbert: Might be a bit of a disappointement to most but contract isn't bad
PK: 8x9M$ is a lot of money but 25 team in the NHL would of offer it to him or more if we didn't

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
MB has been much much better than the gainey/gauthier era...

But why do posters insist on being cheerleaders? Why present a terribly biased list of moves without identifying the mistakes?

MB is far from perfect... He's a rookie GM, a few big mistakes were inevitable, the interesting thing to watch is how he learns from them (not ignoring them completely)

last years ufa/roster adjustments were a fail
Subban contract situation a massive fail
Hiring, then Extending MT long term both serious fails

I agree that extenting MT for so long is a mistake I would of been ok with 2 year but 4 is crazy I doubt he finishes is contract...
Subban wasn't good but it didn't get ROR or Joensen ugly, signing almost any player to 9M$ is a fail but I doubt PK would have settle for anything less I don't think there was anyway for MB to win in that situation PK was holding all the cards...
last years ufa/roster adjustments were bandaid they weren't great but there wasn't any long term damage done.

None of these move were great but none of these move actually hurt the team either.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

The disappointment for me is only from his offensive game, otherwise he moves the puck well, is usually in a pretty good position and actually uses his size to play defense (not to just throw his weight around).
The situation between fans and Gilbert remind me of the one with Spacek. He was disappointing because his offensive numbers pretty much disappeared here, and although he did make some mistakes defensively, he was still a reliable guy.
The same is true of Gilbert. I think he makes things look ugly at times but he's doing an effective job playing defense.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Worst move in Putting Lefevre in Hamilton... Hope he fixes that one soon.

Sign Briere was a mistake but he turn that limonde into sweet lemon juice when he sent Briere for PAP + Pick . Clear winner

Cole for Ryder and Pick (Crisp): win since we got ride of Cole contrat
Diaz for Weise: Clear winner
Bourque to the AHL: Give him credit for doing the move but Sekac force him to make a move.
Moen for Gonchar: anything is better than Moen, but Gonchar is a pleasant surprise.
Gorges for 2rd pick: Loss but Gorges had to go eventual he got maximun return
Prust signing: great
Budaj and Holland for Tangradi: Budaj was the odd man out Holland had been past by everyone in the depth chart, Tangradi could see time in MTL but bring something that we lack but basically shed salary and a contract so it a win
Signing Eller: good decisions
Malhotra: Great and very under rated move
Gilbert: Might be a bit of a disappointement to most but contract isn't bad
PK: 8x9M$ is a lot of money but 25 team in the NHL would of offer it to him or more if we didn't

Forgot Vanek + 5th for Colberg + 2nd, it might become a loss but it a pretty calculated risk it was such a big move that it seem to bring some credibility back to the team and some swag going into the playoff so it the cost of doing business.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Gauthier traded cammalleri. not bergevin

And it's not a loss. Cammalleri plays 50 games by season and is a diva. I would take AK back before him and before anyone start complaining no i would not take AK back.

The worst move by bergy so far is probably Gilbert. But only because it's a 2 years contract instead of one. He did not steal anyone but at least nobody stole us anything either.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And it's not a loss. Cammalleri plays 50 games by season and is a diva. I would take AK back before him and before anyone start complaining no i would not take AK back.

The worst move by bergy so far is probably Gilbert. But only because it's a 2 years contract instead of one. He did not steal anyone but at least nobody stole us anything either.

What is so bad about Gilbert?

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
What is so bad about Gilbert?

People need a space goat. Gilbert started off slow but he's look good lately. Reminds me of Gill when he started here. Everyone was hating at first, but then calmed down as his play steadied

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad