TSN: Bergevin open to trading a forward.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Nylander isn't a problem player, he's a holdout. Same way Gaudreau was, same way Trouba was, same way Doughty was.

Being a holdout doesn't mean your team needs to panic and trade you for pennies on the dollar. I would love Petry and Gally, but panic trading a talent like Nylander to your rival for partial value is just awful asset management.

I don't have any issues with a deal where we bring in Petry and Gally, and move some younger guys, but Nylander is not the type of player you trade in those circumstances.

Agree with all of this.

The Matta, Sprong - Drouin trade offer from SprootsMasterFlex is intriguing tho.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I don't think MB's even considering to trade Drouin. Yes he's been pretty bad but the management saw a lot in him a year ago and that project is still running. But if he is indeed on the trade block and could be the centrepiece for Nylander then hell yes MB should go for it. I doubt that's the case, though.

I don't think you can expect a trade starting with Drouin and Nylander given both are forwards and both teams are looking to fix D problems.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I would love to see Colorado get in on this, just to see the Moosehead connection reunited.

Don't think Drouin would crack the Avs' first line. MacKinnon certainly doesn't need him. Rantanen is pretty much superior in every aspect of the game to Drouin and has excellent chemistry with MacK, and Landeskog brings a two-way and physical presence badly needed on that line. He does a lot of the dirty work - even with him on the line there are sometimes suspect defensive issues. Swapping Drouin in for Landy would just exacerbate them.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I'd do 2 trades:

TOR:
Petry 2M retained by Mtl (3.5M AAV)
Drouin

MTL:
Nylander
Sandin
Horton

PHI:
Andrew Shaw
Scherbak

MTL:
Strome, Matthew
Flyers 2019 2nd rd pick
Flyers 2020 6th rd pick*

*Conditional to Shaw playing more than 40 games in 2018-2019.

Overall Montreal ends up with:
Nylander
Sandin
Strome
Flyers 2019 2nd rd pick
Flyers 2020 6th rd pick
2M in retained salary
LTIR Horton at 5.3M

They also drop 3 roster players as a net move, allowing them to be a 24 man roster once everyone is healthy. (They'll need to bury, waive, or trade again to fall under the 23 players limit.)

Why would the Flyers take on Shaw's horrible deal? The Flyers already have Weise & Lehtera.

Reactions: north49er

member 105785

Canucks would offer up Del Zotto or Gudbranson for a pick if you're looking for LHD.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
>Trade stud D prospect for Drouin in search of a 1C
>D prospect steps right into NHL
>Wait one year
>Still no 1C, but now need D
>Trade Drouin for top 4 D?

What a solid set of decision making.
Bergevin is in so far over his head, he actually thinks he is doing a good job!! lol

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall should be all over this. To me, Sanheim should be made available. He's a LHD and young. For Sanheim the Flyers would want Gallagher back.

We don't need any more small forwards, certainly not at the cost of Sanheim.

He's being criminally underused by Hakstol but eventually he will be a huge part of the top 4 defense.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Most of the proposals on here won’t work because they don’t reduce the number of NHL players. Montreal is making players available because if they don’t trade 1 or 2 players then they are going to lose them on waivers for nothing. Any trade will be for picks, prospects, or 2 for 1 type deals.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
All this talk about Drouin when he is NOT the one going to be moved.

I don’t see that as a possibility at all.

Reactions: HOPE

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The only reason Bergevin is shopping a forward is because he has 14 forwards on the roster, one about to come of the IR and another two weeks away. He doesn't want to waive anybody that will probably/possibly be claimed and doesn't want to send Kotkaniemi to the AHL or Finland ATM. The point is to trade someone for a non-roster spot.

They'll have a similar D problem in December, but that'll be less of an issue (Oullett and Alzner would clear easily).

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
We don't need any more small forwards, certainly not at the cost of Sanheim.

He's being criminally underused by Hakstol but eventually he will be a huge part of the top 4 defense.

I wouldn't be too worried, there's basically no chance Montreal trades Gallagher (especially if Sanheim is the only return).

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Drouin is a great talent, no doubt about it. But he doesn't seem to fit the actual mold of the team.

Could he be disposible?? If so, i would try and solve our LHD issue by trading him. At the same time, i am ready to give him all the time he needs to reach his potential as the Habs are not going to be competitive this season and next's. So i would not sell him cheap and the return would need to be worth it.

Would something around him and Nurse be something workable?? I know Edmonton need more D not less but since they got Bouchard and there are rumblings about Nurse maybe being disponible??

Any other lhd from other teams that can fit in that kind of trade??

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-habs-open-to-trading-a-forward-1.1190309

Let's look at MTL's forward group:

The HELL NO:

Domi - Not being traded, he just got here and fits the mold
Kotkaniemi - Not being traded, 3rd overall pick.
Drouin - Not being traded, we just traded for him in return for Sergachev (bought high, would be selling low) - French Canadian boy.
Gallagher - No.
Byron - Just got an extension, great player, good bargain contract.
Danault - our #1c (lol) and a french boy - no way.

The probably not but maybe:

Armia - Solid middle 6 winger with lots of potential
Lehkonen - Solid middle 6 winger with lots of potential > All of these guys are cheap
Hudon - Solid middle 6 forward with lots of potential
Tatar - Newly brought here, plays with a lot of heart, but could see it happen

The likely:

Deslauriers - Could see him being traded as he is a fantastic 4th liner
JDLR - See above
Scherbak - Very likely to be traded; but would like to see him here
Shaw - Who would want that contract though - Concussion machine
Plekanec - He doesn't really fit here anymore

The returns:

The Habs need a 2-way eligible defensive player back that is good enough to play at both levels, preferably on the right side.

Unfortunately, none of the players in the Likely OR Probably category are solid enough to net us a true top 4 LD in a 1:1, and we have more than enough bottom pairing guys.

Mete/Weber
Ouelette/Petry
Benn/Juulsen
Reilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad