News Article: Bergevin leaks out interesting information

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Not using advanced stats for your own players makes sense. You see them every day. You know exactly what there is to know about them and how they are and how good they are.

But advanced stats give you insights in players you haven't watched in every moments of their career. Even if they are flawed in some way, they will still give you more information than no information.

I'll add a bonus. It also helps avoid players just shooting for no reason and doing actions to better their advanced stats at the detriment of helping the team win.

But they are probably using numbers to evaluate their team, I mean, you kinda need to at some point :p

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Not using advanced stats for your own players makes sense. You see them every day. You know exactly what there is to know about them and how they are and how good they are.

But advanced stats give you insights in players you haven't watched in every moments of their career. Even if they are flawed in some way, they will still give you more information than no information.

The problem with this is personal bias creeps in no matter what profession you work in, the longer you're with them the more you accept their faults and the double standards kick in

Agreed advanced stats aren't the be-all/end-all but they'll help expose coach's favs

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
The problem with this is personal bias creeps in no matter what profession you work in, the longer you're with them the more you accept their faults and the double standards kick in

Agreed advanced stats aren't the be-all/end-all but they'll help expose coach's favs

I love Cioran too, but come on! That is a cynical view of the mirador. People advance in life by getting what they deserve most of the time. I'm for Rousseau instead of Hobbes.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I love Cioran too, but come on! That is a cynical view of the mirador. People advance in life by getting what they deserve most of the time. I'm for Rousseau instead of Hobbes.

And who gets to choose 'what they deserve'?

25 years of working around the globe and seeing 1st hand how promotions, raises, bonuses, firings happen I can guarantee it's a popularity contest at least half the time, only recently have HR depts tried to come up with scorecards and measurable targets to try and take the personal bias out of the equation which is pretty much the equivalent of using advanced stats

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
And who gets to choose 'what they deserve'?

25 years of working around the globe and seeing 1st hand how promotions, raises, bonuses, firings happen I can guarantee it's a popularity contest at least half the time, only recently have HR depts tried to come up with scorecards and measurable targets to try and take the personal bias out of the equation which is pretty much the equivalent of using advanced stats

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
Met Bergy at the induction, he played a trick on me & seems to really love & cherish what he does, he's a really smart man from the short time I got to talk to him.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Maybe Reilly? You'd have to think Forsberg would be in play as well.

Looking back with hindsight, I'm not sure if Yakupov would be a Timmins/MB kind of player. Maybe Grant could confirm? I could be totally offbase here.

I remember how excited Timmins was with this pick. I personally believe that it was Chucky even if Yakupov was available at 3rd.

I always wondered, If Oilers had listened to their scouts and drafted Murray, would Chucky still be available at 3rd?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'm really glad the Habs drafted Galchenyuk. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of drafting a d-man that year, but if we were going to draft a defencemen I hoped it was Reilly. I always liked him.

Hard to know which way he's going to go though. Phil Housely or Duncan Keith? Great skater. Incredible skater. Still a long way to go defensively. No way he's in the NHL this quickly with the Habs. He would've finished his junior career and then played a year in the A.

Bergevin made the right call on that one.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I always wondered, If Oilers had listened to their scouts and drafted Murray, would Chucky still be available at 3rd?

Lots of people were speculating Columbus would stay away from Yakupov if he was still on the board. They've been pretty gun shy about drafting Russians since they got burned on Filatov and Zherdev. It could be a complete coincidence, but they haven't drafted a single Russian since 2008 (which was Filatov himself, incidentally).

That also depends on how much stock you put into historical trends when teams are drafting too. Maybe the Jackets would have thrown nationality out the window and taken Yakupov anyway. Who knows.

Analyzer*

Well, at least we know why the team kept playing Douglas Murray.

It's probably why Gilbert still gets as much time as he does. Even better is that Florida fans say Gilbert sucked. You know, because they actually watched him.

Not really sure how willingly telling someone this is leaking.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
It's probably why Gilbert still gets as much time as he does. Even better is that Florida fans say Gilbert sucked. You know, because they actually watched him.

Not really sure how willingly telling someone this is leaking.

Gilbert has been very effective these past few games... I know you guys need a scapegoat... isnt DD enough? ;)

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It's probably why Gilbert still gets as much time as he does.

Considering that MB said he doesn't use analytics on his own players, then no not really. Also, outside the first 7-8 games where a whole of players looked terrible, Gilbert has been pretty solid, as has the rest of the D core for quite some time now.

Analyzer*

Considering that MB said he doesn't use analytics on his own players, then no not really. Also, outside the first 7-8 games where a whole of players looked terrible, Gilbert has been pretty solid, as has the rest of the D core for quite some time now.

If he did use analytics on his own players, he'd see Gilbert isn't very good.

So, he's looked good for 4-5 games ? Needs to keep improving.

Real test is tonight, but the guy isn't very good.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Scotty Bowman didn't need those stats and he won numerous cups.

I find those stats *grossly* overrated.

hmmm, did it really matter during an era where no one was using advanced stats?

This is a bad argument.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
hmmm, did it really matter during an era where no one was using advanced stats?

This is a bad argument.
Not at all. It's exactly my point. The coach has to have a good read on his players and those of the other teams, as well as on the situations the team is facing.

Analytics mean so very little in the end.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Not at all. It's exactly my point. The coach has to have a good read on his players and those of the other teams, as well as on the situations the team is facing.

Well no. When teams start using it to gain an advantage and it starts working then just relying on the eye test is no longer good enough.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal

Evolution.

Welcome to 2014, where things have changed, and analytics are a very real part of today's game analysis. Time to adapt or be left in the dust.

They used wooden sticks back in the days, and it was good enough for them to score goals. Why did we have to move on to composite sticks?!?! :cry:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well, at least we know why the team kept playing Douglas Murray.

But then they did let him go. I mean, serious question here, how many games could it take before it's almost entirely impossible to straighten your analytic numbers?

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Evolution.

Welcome to 2014, where things have changed, and analytics are a very real part of today's game analysis. Time to adapt or be left in the dust.

They used wooden sticks back in the days, and it was good enough for them to score goals. Why did we have to move on to composite sticks?!?! :cry:

Or goalies being able to leave their feet to make a save :P? If Carey Price had to play like Jaques Plante did I don't know if we could have won a game yet :P

(Edit - This isn't a slight against Plante, just pointing out that comparing Price to Plante, the latter has a gigantic handicap between the rules and the equipment.)

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Because composite sticks are a cash cow. They break easier, several break per game and they cost $200 a pop compared to the $25 stick Al MacInnis used to break the 100mph mark on a slapshot.

hf27

Jan 29, 2013

Because composite sticks are a cash cow. They break easier, several break per game and they cost $200 a pop compared to the $25 stick Al MacInnis used to break the 100mph mark on a slapshot.

I thought it was because the same people who want fighting out of the game also want trees not to be hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00