News Article: Bergevin leaks out interesting information

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Bergevin has the final say in trades but whoever scouts for him must be really good.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
"Back when he was in Chicago, Bergevin knew more about rookies than he does now"

Wut? That's not a good thing, at all. I'm surprised he'd say something like this. Did the article actually say he knew less than he does now? Cause, I'd be worried about player development for most of our rookie players. This seems really odd and I'm quite skeptical that's what he said.

wasnt he assistant gm in chicago ? mabey that's one of the job responsibilities and now that he's gm he's transitioned onto other aspects.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
"Back when he was in Chicago, Bergevin knew more about rookies than he does now"

Wut? That's not a good thing, at all. I'm surprised he'd say something like this. Did the article actually say he knew less than he does now? Cause, I'd be worried about player development for most of our rookie players. This seems really odd and I'm quite skeptical that's what he said.

I don,t know if I worded it accurately. But it's more about each year's prospect that he doesn't have the time to follow them all anymore.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Trevor Timmons and Martin Lapointe are the guys who are much more involved in the development of the prospects. Not Bergy.

He said rookies though. Which leads me to believe rookies, such as Tinner and Brolo. I'm just suprised he said he knows less than he used to.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Bergevin just said in his interview that he rarely sees the Dogs. So I would bet he never saw Koberstein play either this year.....And frankly, it's not his job. He appointed other people to do that. He better talk to those people though before he trades kids he rarely see play.....No need for another McDonagh trade....

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Bergevin was director of player personnel for two years in Chicago, of course he knew their rookies better.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Says who? I've never read this criteria for a GM. The reason why I've never read it is that it's not the criteria.

By your own admission in an earlier post, a scout may have seen a junior player play 10-15 times whereas a GM has maybe seen that junior player a handful of times. The same applies to pro scouts and GMs on a given pro player.

In both instances, the GM is responsible for his staff, and trusts his staff to provide sufficient information in order to make sound decisions. In both instances, a poor staff will reflect poorly on the GM, and a good staff will reflect well on the GM. That's the essence of a hierarchical management system, and it is the very purpose of a General Manager position.

Then there's Glen Sather , who trades for players he admits he's never seen play.

Hierarchical structures have detailed knowledge at the lower levels and accountability at the higher ones, but every once in a while an ego comes into play that turns the system into disarray. You know, the lone wolf GM who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. I think we all have examples of that type.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I use that example often, but when we saw the 2005 draft, you know what Gainey's input was towards Timmins when Timmins said he was going with Price? Gainey said..."Are you sure?". So yep, the GM has the last say, problem with that is that the last say is 9.9out of 10 times..."Do what you want, you know those guys, I don't".

I recall an interview with Timmins years ago...or perhaps it came from Grant...but I recall Timmns having Price and another player ranked similarly and the organization was debating the pick. Gainey told Timmins to go with the goalie.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Then there's Glen Sather , who trades for players he admits he's never seen play.

Hierarchical structures have detailed knowledge at the lower levels and accountability at the higher ones, but every once in a while an ego comes into play that turns the system into disarray. You know, the lone wolf GM who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. I think we all have examples of that type.

Sure. In any instance, the GM is ultimately responsible.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
His comment about "knowing more about rookies when he was with Chicago" only means that his role was probably to scout younger players playing overseas or in the AHL more. He has a much broader role now and can't simply focus on upcoming talent. That is why he promoted Trevor Timmins to Director of Player Personnel.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I know Galchenyuk missed a whole year but when you are picking 3rd overall and a player of his caliber is available,,,, the defence you are coveting better be something else........and Reilly aint that..........:facepalm:

Thank god for Trevor Timmins.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I know Galchenyuk missed a whole year but when you are picking 3rd overall and a player of his caliber is available,,,, the defence you are coveting better be something else........and Reilly aint that..........:facepalm:

I see you're from Ontario. You know Leafs fans grudgingly would prefer having AG right now. Even though they like Reilly.... Just imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, all the gloating we'd always be hearing. Our top roster players have always been crushed by their borderline NHLers in prospect polls. Imagine all the good times we'd have if Galchenyuk dropped to them.:laugh:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
TT would be absolutely crucified for the Reilly pick right now.

Why is that? Reilly is poised to become a franchise blueliner, if Toronto plays their cards right. That kid is awesome, has all the tools to be a great player.

AG is a terrific young talent too, but it's a lot easier to sign a UFA to fill the goal scoring area, than fix a blueline.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Why is that? Reilly is poised to become a franchise blueliner, if Toronto plays their cards right. That kid is awesome, has all the tools to be a great player.

AG is a terrific young talent too, but it's a lot easier to sign a UFA to fill the goal scoring area, than fix a blueline.

It really isn't. With guys hitting UFA at 27 that's when a lot of dman hit their prime and the vast majority of forwards are past their peak.

hf27

Jan 29, 2013

Like he never saw McDonagh play before trading Gomez for him...lol

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007

Number 1 problem is that Galchenyuk's further along in his development curve. We see more of what he was projected to be than Reilly.

It's very hard to foresee where a player will end...but the bigger problem is he doesn't fill in traditionnal models for a Franchise 1 D
-He's not the big, 2 way, big-shot player that excels in all situation (for example, Shea Webber, Chris Pronger)
-He's very mobile and he's a smooth skater. He doesn't have a big shot so he can't help the PP that way. He's working on using his body more. He doesn't look naturally mean or tough. He's not big..
He reminds me of Phil Housley in skating up and down the ice but he hasn't shown that he has close to as much finishing ability.

Last edited:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Apparently? where is this info coming form? Doesn't sound like something Bergevin would say in regards to Reilly. The business of Hockey what and where?

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

Rielly missed most of the year, too.

Rielly is a very good player, don't get the hate for him and Murray got here and that was happening before the draft and continues to this day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad