News Article: Bergevin leaks out interesting information

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Not using advanced stats for your own players makes sense. You see them every day. You know exactly what there is to know about them and how they are and how good they are.

But advanced stats give you insights in players you haven't watched in every moments of their career. Even if they are flawed in some way, they will still give you more information than no information.

Saintpatrick*

Don't believe anything you hear about team using analytics...

No one will divulge what and how they use them/

Hard to believe he doesn't use them. Weise, Weaver. Gilbert and Gonchar were all acquisitions that that had most of us scratching our heads but all of them look like perfect fits for our team.

24Cups

Aug 2, 2005
Don't believe anything you hear about team using analytics...

No one will divulge what and how they use them/

Yep. There's no way he spent 3 hours in PK's arbitration talking about the weather. He had numbers and more numbers.

Analyzer*

Rielly is a good and promising dman, but I'd take Galchenyuk over him any day.

Things could change, but Galchenyuk is developing into something we really need and that is rare around the league.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
TT would be absolutely crucified for the Reilly pick right now.

I don't think so. Reilly has a strong future ahead of him and would have been a good pick for us. You have to account for him being in a much better environment, thus he would struggle less. Of course, Galchenyuk would be playing with Kessel... Kind of glad that didn't happen. :laugh:

"Back when he was in Chicago, Bergevin knew more about rookies than he does now"

Wut? That's not a good thing, at all. I'm surprised he'd say something like this. Did the article actually say he knew less than he does now? Cause, I'd be worried about player development for most of our rookie players. This seems really odd and I'm quite skeptical that's what he said.

He just means he has less direct involvement now because he has more responsibilities. As an assistant GM, it would be easier to know about the rookies and their development, but he cannot just watch their games like he used to.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If they took Rielly you have to believe he would have played another 2 years in juniors and would be in Hamilton right now. Obviously glad they didn't, but he would have been much more seasoned by the time he saw the ice in the NHL.

*Yes I know Galchenyuk made the team as an 18 year old but it's a different situation.

hf27

Jan 29, 2013
I don't think so. Reilly has a strong future ahead of him and would have been a good pick for us. You have to account for him being in a much better environment, thus he would struggle less. Of course, Galchenyuk would be playing with Kessel... Kind of glad that didn't happen. :laugh:

didn't mtl have a lot of small fwds at the time and looking at getting bigger/more skilled up front from the #3 slot in the draft?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
didn't mtl have a lot of small fwds at the time and looking at getting bigger/more skilled up front from the #3 slot in the draft?

You don't draft for need at #3, you take BPA. Alex Galchenyuk was the BPA at that time and it wouldn't have mattered if he was 4 inches shorter or 4 inches taller.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Zero percent chance that they only look at analytics on our opponents and not our own players.

hf27

Jan 29, 2013
You don't draft for need at #3, you take BPA. Alex Galchenyuk was the BPA at that time and it wouldn't have mattered if he was 4 inches shorter or 4 inches taller.

at #3, i think it does matter if he were 4 inches shorter..hypothetically speaking.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Hard to believe he doesn't use them. Weise, Weaver. Gilbert and Gonchar were all acquisitions that that had most of us scratching our heads but all of them look like perfect fits for our team.

That's the point. He looked at their stats before they were playing for us... :sarcasm:

No really, Bergevin is just trolling. No way they don't look at themselves with all the tools at hand.

However, it's true that they might focus more on stats from other teams because, as somebody else mentionned, they see their own players on a daily basis.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It really isn't. With guys hitting UFA at 27 that's when a lot of dman hit their prime and the vast majority of forwards are past their peak.

Yes, but building from the blueline out with a top prospect like MR, isn't exactly a bad thing. I just don't see the 'outrage' scenario that was proposed, I think hockey fans like the future for Toronto's young blueliner.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Yes, but building from the blueline out with a top prospect like MR, isn't exactly a bad thing. I just don't see the 'outrage' scenario that was proposed, I think hockey fans like the future for Toronto's young blueliner.

I agree. I know a lot of us mocked Burke for his "Reilly is the best player in the draft" stuff, but let's not pretend he would have been a bad pick. Him and Subban for over a decade would have been pretty good, even if I'm happier with Galchenyuk.

The one thing with Reilly though is that there were so many good defencemen drafted in the top 10 we never would have heard the end of all the comparisons possible.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Friedman is usually good and rarely talks rumours, so I believe that Gilbert thing. I wouldn't be opposed if we could somehow get a decent forward for him (or a package including him).

Also, more on topic, I'd take Galchenyuk 100 times out of a 100 instead of Rielly. Galchenyuk is an absolute stud, PPG player.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Friedman is usually good and rarely talks rumours, so I believe that Gilbert thing. I wouldn't be opposed if we could somehow get a decent forward for him (or a package including him).

Also, more on topic, I'd take Galchenyuk 100 times out of a 100 instead of Rielly. Galchenyuk is an absolute stud, PPG player.

Friedman's thoughts is him speculating out of his own arse. So yes you are right, not a rumor. :laugh:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Well he did nail the "Habs looking at D-men" rumor.

It's amazing. It might have been his writing, but I read that a lot of teams were looking for defenseman but the market was so small and that's why the Rangers went out to get Kaberle and another team got Colaiacovo (Flyers, I think?). We end up with Gonchar.

Pretty damn awesome.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I think it was more of a case of Dudley liking Reilly more than the scouting staff, but Bergevin deferred to Timmins. He lets him do his job. Bergy would have seen eplay once, perhaps twice....not his job.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Of course the drafts belong to the scouts. They are the ones that spend night and days on the road for most of the year checking out young players. The GM might catch a few games here and there, will likely look at a lot of videos and data, but the scouts are really the ones they rely on the most. I mean, why else would they be there?

Still, if a GM really wants a type of player, he can draft whoever he wants.
But, as anybody else would do, you tend to listen to the experts you hire. You do merit credit for hiring the right personnel though.

Absolutely right. There's a few head management hiring strategies I've witnessed over time. Of these, two extremes make the best comparison to illustrate a point.

Some head managers (mostly those who are insecure) hire less competent employees/underlings as they believe they will look more competent in comparison.

More secure/confident head managers look to hire the best and don't stand in the way of advancement, in house and, when impossible in house, elsewhere.

Secure head managers know that a competent employee is also a reflection of their judgment, judgment that was confirmed when they hired the competent employee.

You choose your poison but, personally, I say hire the competent and secure head manager that will be surrounded by competent employees over the perhaps competent but, insecure head manager who will surround himself with less competent employees….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad