Rumor: "Bergevin has been sniffing around to see what he can get for Plekanec"

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
He's like Oprah... "YOU get an extension, and YOU get an extension... EVERYONE gets extensions!"

Extension for everyone!!
2s8s09f.jpg

Analyzer*

I like clarkson too. but the habs already have that kind of player, clarkson has a little more scoring upside than prust. but I agree a little toughness with scoring upside is needed.

stewart would be a great fit. so would clowe...both would be great. :sarcasm:

speaking of clowe, where do people think he'll end-up?

In the hospital.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
How far off is Pleks for Stewart + 47th?

Not saying I want to move Pleks, just heard Pleks to STL a lot and wondering what the value is.

Last edited:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
How far off is Pleks for Stewart + 47th?

I still don't understand why the Blues would want Plekanec. They need an offensive C, not a two way one.

Plekanec is better offensively than Backes and Oshie, but marginally so.

I also feel like for all the Stewart love here right now, he'd become hated quickly in Montreal when people realize he doesn't show up every game.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I still don't understand why the Blues would want Plekanec. They need an offensive C, not a two way one.

Plekanec is better offensively than Backes and Oshie, but marginally so.
Pleky has never really had the chance to be an offensive #1 though. He's producing top-30 center scoring despite being used as a two-way forward. He also generally gets worse wingers than other players.

Not saying he'd score more in STL either because of their system - but he definitely could score more points than he does now if he was given a comparable player and offensive zone starts.

Also didn't say I love Stewart either. ;) - However, people said the same about Bourque and his effort was second to none this year.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Pleky has never really had the chance to be an offensive #1 though. He's producing top-30 center scoring despite being used as a two-way forward. He also generally gets worse wingers than other players.

Not saying he'd score more in STL either because of their system - but he definitely could score more points than he does now if he was given a comparable player and offensive zone starts.

Also didn't say I love Stewart either. ;) - However, people said the same about Bourque and his effort was second to none this year.

Well, a motivated Stewart would be awesome. But he's a player I'm terrified about giving big money to, even if it might be a necessary evil.

And yes, I do think Plekanec could probably have another 70 point season in a more offensive role surrounded by size. But it's still not really what he's known for, he's an above average playmaker but he's not the first person to come to mind for that role when you don't also want another PK/two way beast. I'd rather have him as a 50-60 point 2C personally if I was a coach (and yes, I know I'm nothing close to one :laugh:), but that's the last thing the Blues need.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Chris Stewart? We're trading a player who gives his 100% every game, who plays an integral part on the team for an extremely inconsistent and sometimes unmotivated winger. What a bad deal that would be.

For once can be people look beyond size.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Chris Stewart? We're trading a player who gives his 100% every game, who plays an integral part on the team for an extremely inconsistent and sometimes unmotivated winger. What a bad deal that would be.

For once can be people look beyond size.

I am not for trading Pleks.

However, size and the lack of it is our biggest weakness. Ottawa exposed that weakness pretty easily in the playoffs.

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
Yes, who wouldn't want the soft, oft concussed Perron who has never scored more than 50 points in exchange for our most important forward.

Do it bergy!

Nowhere did I say I wanted it straight up there, buddy...

A package of Stewart and Perron and a pick would do it for me, with us sending Plekanec and a prospect and a pick. Just spitballing at this point.

stewart over perron 24/7 365, he has size and alot of skill aswell. just lacks consistency which can be worked out

Don't know if I agree with this. Laziness can't always be "worked out"...We need effort...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I'd be pretty scared to see what happens to the Habs if Plekanec is gone. You for sure can't replace him with the incumbents. Even Eller is not close to ready to do all the things Pleks does. I guess if you could convince me we're going to pick up a strong replacement center elsewise, ok, but... who? Lecavalier doesn't do the things Pleks does, so I won't take him as the answer. Who else is there? Bolland? :dunno:

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008
the only way I trade plek is to gamble on a blue chip prospect. I really doubt we can get something equivalent or better than him if he's dealt for an actual NHL player. For me, I'd be ok to go all-in for a top 5-7 pick so we get a chance to develop a better player in the end. But please don't even ask me about a deal built around Plek for Stewart. You guys haven't watched many games from Stewart other than his highlights....

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Nowhere did I say I wanted it straight up there, buddy...

A package of Stewart and Perron and a pick would do it for me, with us sending Plekanec and a prospect and a pick. Just spitballing at this point.

Don't know if I agree with this. Laziness can't always be "worked out"...We need effort...

"laziness" and "consistency" are so subjective tho, he just tends to have 5-10 game slumps once in a while which happens to every player.. galchenyuk had a pretty big slump middway through last season aswell. i dont think he was being lazy, its all about their mindset imo

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
"laziness" and "consistency" are so subjective tho, he just tends to have 5-10 game slumps once in a while which happens to every player.. galchenyuk had a pretty big slump middway through last season aswell. i dont think he was being lazy, its all about their mindset imo

That's a bit of a generalization though. Admittedly I don't watch many Blues games but if you're watching your favorite team night in and night out, even if a player is in a slump, you usually can tell if they're just not performing at the moment or being lazy. You tend to notice if a guy is just drifting out there.

Even when Pacioretty wasn't scoring he was still getting assists and shots on goal for the most part, for example. Obviously Stewart is a different type of player, but you would be able to notice if he's out there not throwing his body around.

Which is something we already have plenty of players doing.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
Canadiens receiving calls on Plekanec

It has been widely reported that the Canadiens have received trade inquiries on center Tomas Plekanec.

Plekanec, 30, has three-years left on a six-year, $30 million contract that pays him $5 million per season.

The native of Kladno, Czech Republic, owns a limited no-trade clause and might have a say in where he ends up, should the Habs decide to move him.

The Blues are in the market for a top-line center and are supposedly dangling left wing David Perron as trade bait. It's unclear if the two teams have spoken about Plekanec.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl130629.html

Would anyone like to see Plekanec traded to STL for Perron and then sign up Lecavalier? I really like Pleks tough to see him go but this is a possibility.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I'd be pretty scared to see what happens to the Habs if Plekanec is gone. You for sure can't replace him with the incumbents. Even Eller is not close to ready to do all the things Pleks does. I guess if you could convince me we're going to pick up a strong replacement center elsewise, ok, but... who? Lecavalier doesn't do the things Pleks does, so I won't take him as the answer. Who else is there? Bolland? :dunno:

I agree with you 100%. That's why these "rumors" would make no sense to me. I find it almost impossible to see a scenario where they trade pleks (a realistic trade), and get better in the process.

Unless the team just wants to blow it up and get whatever assets they can for their core players, but I don't think the team needs that much of a makeover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad