Rumor: "Bergevin has been sniffing around to see what he can get for Plekanec"

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
.. Why do we keep hearing Habs GM Marc Bergevin has been sniffing around to see what he can get for Tomas Plekanec on the market? He has a no-trade clause and three years at a cap hit of $5 million per-season ...

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/06/27/expect-a-busy-trade-weekend-in-the-nhl

This better not be true.

EDIT: IMO, Plekanec is one of those players worth more to us versus the return he would generate, which is why I feel this way. (there, now we can move on with the conversation ;))

Last edited:

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
I like Plekanec, but if we get something decent I guess I'd maybe be okay with it.

I'd MUCH MUCH rather see Desharnais gone though. I don't think we'd get enough back for what I personally think Plekanec is worth.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Ottawa sun.

More specifically: Garrioch.

Anyway I don't see why Bergevin wouldn't at least see what the return for Plekanec would be if he's signing Lecavalier. I know everyone's knee-jerk reaction is to shove Desharnais onto the plane but you're not getting anywhere near as good a return as what you'll get for Pleks. If the return is really good, and Lecavalier takes his spot, I don't think Plekanec should be untouchable necessarily.

Habssupporter

Jan 20, 2010

Anyway I don't see why Bergevin wouldn't at least see what the return for Plekanec would be if he's signing Lecavalier. I know everyone's knee-jerk reaction is to shove Desharnais onto the plane but you're not getting anywhere near as good a return as what you'll get for Pleks. If the return is really good, and Lecavalier takes his spot, I don't think Plekanec should be untouchable necessarily.

Yeah i guess but getting Lecavalier is a BIG assumption for now.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

The thing is Lecavalier isn't really a good two way player so replacing Plekanec with Vinny is a one step forward, one step back sort of thing, while he's an overt upgrade on Desharnais. There's also no proof we are any sort of favourite for Lecavalier, we don't even know what type of money he wants yet.

But it's not an insane move to see what's out there. I'm just very skeptical they can pull off a worthwhile Plekanec trade.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Right on. Though I like Plekanec and think he's very important to the current team, I think this shows a real commitment to the rebuild and confidence in our young players. It all depends on the return but, this could mean a lot to the future success of the team. Bittersweet I suppose.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Plekanec is a coach's favourite. I doubt anything happens.

I'm not even a coach and he's my favourite.

blushing.jpg

Analyzer*

Right on. Though I like Plekanec and think he's very important to the current team, I think this shows a real commitment to the rebuild and confidence in our young players. It all depends on the return but, this could mean a lot to the future success of the team. Bittersweet I suppose.

2 years down the line we should trade Galchenyuk.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Let me get this straight...

You DON'T want your GM to use a valuable asset to try to improve his team?

There are few realistic scenarios where I can envision our team becoming better by trading away a premier 2-way, all-situations C like Tomas Plekanec.

Help me out here.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Yeah i guess but getting Lecavalier is a BIG assumption for now.

I would certainly hope he wouldn't deal Plekanec without having Lecavalier's signature on a contract. That's a no-brainer. But in the meantime, doesn't hurt to see what offers are out there.

The thing is Lecavalier isn't really a good two way player so replacing Plekanec with Vinny is a one step forward, one step back sort of thing, while he's an overt upgrade on Desharnais.

But it's not an insane move to see what's out there. I'm just very skeptical they can pull off a worthwhile Plekanec trade.

Well Plekanec is the better defensive player, but Lecavalier should be the better offensive player.

You have to weigh the trade-offs, really: is it worth what you're giving up in defense vs. what you get in offense? Plekanec is younger than Lecavalier, is it worth it to sacrifice the few extra years Pleks would play for Lecavalier + the return for Plekanec? And does the piece(s) you get in return for Pleks outweigh the advantages to keeping him here?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I don't mind Plekanec and he's a decent 2nd line center on a contender... that being said, if you replace him with Lecavalier, you could potentially get the assets for him AND a more than decent replacement in Lecavalier.

If there's an opportunity to improve our team and Plekanec is the guy to sacrifice, go for it. There should be no untouchable players on that team besides Subban, Galchenyuk, and, with our current shape between the pipes, Price.

Analyzer*

In order to improve the team, you need to trade Plekanec with something else to get a player better than Plekanec.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
There are few realistic scenarios where I can envision our team becoming better by trading away a premier 2-way, all-situations C like Tomas Plekanec.

Help me out here.

Don't bother. Plekanec has become a luxury since the emergence of Eller and Galchenyuk for some people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->