Rumor: "Bergevin has been sniffing around to see what he can get for Plekanec"

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Why do we have to replace Plekanec? I don't understand this logic...

The idea that we NEED to replace Plekanec would come from the thought that he's essential and indispensable to this teams success

But as we are all too well aware...this team hasn't had any success

This isn't to say that he's solely responsible...but to say he NEEDS to be replaced if he's ever moved, doesn't really make sense to me

Yes the Habs would be a different team without Plekanec, maybe an inferior one, maybe a superior one...maybe it remains the same.

Who knows, that depends on the deal...

Truth is...Plekanec is a valuable player, both to the Habs and to perspective teams

It would be foolish to hang onto him at all costs for the sake of fearing what we would be without him...when in fact we should be fearing what we currently are

A team constantly stuck in the same cycle of mediocrity

There may be other avenues to change this...

I don't personally believe trading David Desharnais will accomplish this, nor do I believe moving someone like Subban or Galchenyuk makes much sense either as IMO, those 2 players are much more 'irreplaceable' then Plekanec would be

That's fine and all, but it's not Plekanec's fault.

So just because we've been mediocre doesn't mean we have to move Plekanec.
And unless you want to stay mediocre, we will need to replace him. I personally believe Galchenyuk and Eller will be able to take the reigns as #1-2 centers but I don't think they're ready for it next season, and I don't see the necessity in moving Plekanec right now.

I also look at the way Plekanec's defensive game seemed to have rubbed off on Eller, and hope the same can happen with Galchenyuk.
As up and comers, they look at the veterans and learn from them, Plekanec is a great mentor to have. His work ethic is irreproachable, I have not seen him pout or whine about any role or linemates he ever was given, his two way game is one of the best one in the NHL.
So ya, he surely must have a good trade value, he also has a great value for our team as well.

I don't believe in giving bigger responsibilities to players unless they've shown the potential of handling it. Eller and Gally have not shown it yet. They certainly are promising, like Price was, but I think moving Plekanec would equate moving Huet and simply rushing the youngsters into a role they're probably not quite ready for.

I don't think the timing to move Plekanec is right.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's fine and all, but it's not Plekanec's fault. So just because we've been mediocre doesn't mean we have to move Plekanec.
And unless you want to stay mediocre, we will need to replace him. I personally believe Galchenyuk and Eller will be able to take the reigns as #1-2 centers but I don't think they're ready for it next season, and I don't see the necessity in moving Plekanec right now.

I also look at the way Plekanec's defensive game seemed to have rubbed off on Eller, and hope the same can happen with Galchenyuk.
As up and comers, they look at the veterans and learn from them, Plekanec is a great mentor to have. His work ethic is irreproachable, I have not seen him pout or whine about any role or linemates he ever was given, his two way game is one of the best one in the NHL.
So ya, he surely must have a good trade value, he also has a great value for our team as well.

I don't believe in giving bigger responsibilities to players unless they've shown the potential of handling it. Eller and Gally have not shown it yet. They certainly are promising, like Price was, but I think moving Plekanec would equate moving Huet and simply rushing the youngsters into a role they're probably not quite ready for.

I don't think the timing to move Plekanec is right.

I specifically mentioned it was not Plekanec's fault

again, the idea we have to 'replace' Plekanec makes little sense to me.

The timing is actually ideal IMO, to move Plekanec now...the Habs aren't a 'now' team. They should be trying to accumulate assets for when they are ready to win now.

Of course, as I've mentioned 1000 times...that doesn't mean you give Plekanec away. But MB is only doing his due diligence by finding out what his value is. If a team is ready to mean the valuation of a player who is the Habs best player (or at least best forward), then I don't see any logic as to why they should hold on to him as the very fact that he's the Habs best player, shows just how thin this organizations depth of talent is.

One more thing...Lars Eller has at the very least, shown that he deserves the opportunity to show he's ready for added responsibilities. He will however have a lot of trouble proving it over a long term basis as long as the coaching staff continues to rely as much as they do on Plekanec as they currently do.

I don't understand how Eller/Galchenyuk have to prove their ready for more responsibility, when as things lie currently, they won't have the opportunity. Plekanec will still get the main PP opportunities, and the one's he doesn't, will go to Desharnais.

In VERY limited opportunity this year, Eller showed that he at least deserves a shot at competing for more icetime...if we're just going to continue trotting out the same icetime for our centers as we have this year, we're doing a serious disservice to the development of guys like Eller and Galchenyuk IMO

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I specifically mentioned it was not Plekanec's fault

again, the idea we have to 'replace' Plekanec makes little sense to me.

The timing is actually ideal IMO, to move Plekanec now...the Habs aren't a 'now' team. They should be trying to accumulate assets for when they are ready to win now.

Of course, as I've mentioned 1000 times...that doesn't mean you give Plekanec away. But MB is only doing his due diligence by finding out what his value is. If a team is ready to mean the valuation of a player who is the Habs best player (or at least best forward), then I don't see any logic as to why they should hold on to him as the very fact that he's the Habs best player, shows just how thin this organizations depth of talent is.

We're not in a win now situation, you said it, and we won't be next year either. I don't think we're just a mediocre team, but we're not a contender either. There's no rush to move Plekanec.

Unless your kids are the likes of Crosby, they need a solid veteran showing them the ropes at the same position. Cole did it with MaxPac, Plek with Eller, heck even Crosby had Lemieux. It's not a necessity, but I believe surrounding the kids with good veterans is key to their development.

So, trading Plek to load up on prospects is great asset-wise, but don't forget that they're just that, prospects. Philly did the same with Richards and Carter, I'm not sure they're a better team for it.

I think having him here to keep teaching to our younger centers how to excel in the two way game and work ethic is more important.

I have no issues with Bergevin dangling his name out there to determine his value, but I would wait a year before really entertaining a move. Of course, if a top 5 pick is involve or top end talent, then it could be different, which is why I have no problem with putting his name out there just to see but I just don't think we'll be getting that.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think we _are_ in a "win-now" situation. And it should be a perpetual one. It's not a "Win the Stanley Cup now or blow it up" situation. It's an "okay, we were 2nd in the conference and were embarrassed a bit in the playoffs, but we can strive to make a few strategic tweaks and try to win more next season" situation. But it still comes down to wins. Winning more is important, the players will learn more and develop more as they get a bit further into the playoffs. You have to try to improve in that sense, and I just think it would be entirely counter-productive to trade Plekanec in that respect.

Trade guys who are actually impending UFAs if your failing at all that, whatever, for example if Gionta or Markov are in that situation and we are taking a step back at the trade deadline. But otherwise, the default plan should be onwards and upwards. It's incremental. You don't want to take incremental steps backward that foil everything else you're trying to do.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
The only untouchable on this team is Subban.

Everyone else is tradeable (includes Price and Patches).

I'd probably include Galchenyuk, and otherwise I'd agree.

There's no room for sentimentality in hockey, however Plekanec belongs in the category with Price, Pacioretty and a few others of players who you don't trade just to clear up cap space or "rebuild".

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
I'd probably include Galchenyuk, and otherwise I'd agree.

And Gallagher. Although small, he plays big, always gives his 110% and does it with a smile. Love the kid.

Subban, Galchenyuk and Gallagher. I'd even go further and add Eller.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
And Gallagher. Although small, he plays big, always gives his 110% and does it with a smile. Love the kid.

Subban, Galchenyuk and Gallagher. I'd even go further and add Eller.

While I'd move Plekanec before either Gallagher or Eller since I don't think those two nearly have enough value to make up for what they bring to the team, I can't consider them untouchables.

The thing is, Subban is elite and isn't even in his prime yet, and Galchenyuk has all the potential in the world. Those two can't be replaced...everyone else can be, but only for the right price.

I don't think the team has any desire to move Gallagher though, and they shouldn't.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
While I'd move Plekanec before either Gallagher or Eller since I don't think those two nearly have enough value to make up for what they bring to the team, I can't consider them untouchables.

The thing is, Subban is elite and isn't even in his prime yet, and Galchenyuk has all the potential in the world. Those two can't be replaced...everyone else can be, but only for the right price.

I don't think the team has any desire to move Gallagher though, and they shouldn't.

Under that mindset, of course, you're right and I totally agree. Although, the flashes Eller had last season and Gallaghers character are things I find crucial for the Habs.

Either way, we're basically agreeing to the same thing! :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->