Dreger: Bergevin and Botterill in trade discussions?

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
TIL the going rate for a 60 point, 27-year old 2C who's overpaid by $2,000,000 and has lost his passion to play hockey is worth #3 overall and Max Pacioretty.

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
How does one down year erase a 35 goal average for the previous 6 seasons?
Age... Guy Lafluer is better than any player in these talks based on past production... but I would put much stake on his future production.

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
If the 3rd overall isn’t involved Montreal is going to lose something solid off the roster whether it’s

Buf - Ryan O’Rielly

Mtl - Pacioretty, Poehling, Mtls 2nd rd pick 2018

This would be solid value for both teams in my mind. I’m sure Gallagher makes more sense for Buffalo due to his age but I’m not sure Montreal would go for it.

why would they even give poehling? that's their only solid C prospect

Reactions: Nitram27

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
TIL the going rate for a 60 point, 27-year old 2C who's overpaid by $2,000,000 and has lost his passion to play hockey is worth #3 overall and Max Pacioretty.
Even if this were true, ROR would STILL be the best C on MTL, by a mile.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Botterill and Bergevin are probably talking about swapping Bill's season's passes for Tremblant season's passes.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Patches, Poehling, MTL 2nd is where I have things at. 1 year rental values have dinished but Poehling and early 2nd are good ways to make up for Patches' contract status.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Then Montreal will be stuck with the same problem, throwing guys into roles that they are not meant to be in. Using O Reilly as a number 1 will ruin him, just like we did Eller and Drouin and every defenceman Bergevin has picked up in the last 2 years....trying to fit him into a role he was never ready for. Montreal needs a true # 1 to build around, not a #2 or three to try to plug into a # 1 role.

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
If botterill trades ROR with Pac being the biggest piece even in a package coming back, he can fire himself immediately.

You really don't understand hockey trades. I agree that Patches alone is a bit one sided but Dreger has a point here, ROR on most teams is a $7.5 million #2c. Personally, as a Habs fan, I doubt he's going to be the C that fills all our holes but it's a big step in the right direction. For the Sabres, in terms of Cs, they have Eichel as their clear #1 and I imagine they want to shape Mittlestadt as the #2. With drafting Dahlin your D core is really in a good place so what's your biggest need? A top LW (whether veteran or not). You could go out and get Skinner but Carolina is doing some weird rebuild so I'm sure they're going to want young roster players and assets in return, something I doubt Buffalo is willing to give up. All that being said is very trivial and could have zero weight on a trade..

I reckon that ROR (before July 1st so that Habs pay the huge $7.5 mil Bonus) for Max Pacioretty + MTL 2018 2nd + your choice between Lehkonen/Scherbak/Lindgren would get it done.

The only issue I see here is a team like Philly or CBJ who are willing to trade assets can come in out of nowhere and swoop him up.

Nobody will every agree on trades, its human nature. We're just going to have to wait and see how this all unravels. It's kind exciting, I love this part of hockey. Cheers m8

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Why would a rental (Pacioretty) even be close to ROR's worth who has 5 years left, c'mon now.. Most of you need to realize is that we dont have to trade ROR so we hold every single card.. You want him then you PAY BIG. If Botterill doesn't realize this than he will find an angry mob kicking his door down and him out of town.

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
Don't do it Bergevin
Keep the prospects and picks and suck again next year
Draft centers for God sake
ROR will not make this team a SC contender
I agree with you. I don't think habs are in a position to go for it either. A rebuild with youth would be their best bet. MB seems to disagree though... and so long as they're buyers, it'd cost young players and/or picks for a ROR.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Here are the people pretending O'Reilly is suddenly Gil Perreault and Pat LaFontaine rolled into one. :huh:

Mr. Met

Nov 8, 2017
Why would a rental (Pacioretty) even be close to ROR's worth who has 5 years left, c'mon now.. Most of you need to realize is that we dont have to trade ROR so we hold every single card.. You want him then you PAY BIG. If Botterill doesn't realize this than he will find an angry mob kicking his door down and him out of town.
Ottawa didn't have to trade Mike Hoffman either, but they got absolutely nothing for him

Reactions: Guerzy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad