Dreger: Bergevin and Botterill in trade discussions?

Cole4Christmas

Nov 19, 2017
I wonder if Bergevin is pushing to get this deal done before he makes the 3rd overall selection tomorrow night. If the Habs land ROR, maybe Zadina/Tkachuk become more attractive options than Kotkaniemi? Zadina/Tkachuk are safer picks and can come into the league much sooner than Kotkaniemi. Although not ideal, I'm sure the habs can live with ROR-Drouin-Danault-JDLR down the middle for the next few years.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Interesting LeBrun specifically said O’Reilly isn’t a #1 C (in his opinion). Saying that he would be on Montreal is a no brainer of course, there’s #3 C’s in the league that would play on first line for Montreal.
I don't think he's a #1 either. Just because he would be in Montreal, as in Buffalo, doesn't make him an actual #1 center. He's a #2. A Kesler type.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Personally I think Patch holds the most value at the deadline. Let’s say Buffalo does end up trading for him (for O’Reilly or something else).

Patch playing next to Echiel is A safe bet to score at a 25-30 goal pace at least. He’s never played with a centre of that caliber before (and that is his his usual pace) and come the trade line at his pro-rated salary on an expiring contract that’s worth a decent amount.

Depending on the teams needs at the time, easily a 1st plus. So if the Sabres do pick him up and don’t make the playoffs, they’ll still have a valuable asset to deal.

Reactions: untouchable21

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Don't be ridiculous. A 35 goal scoring winger, 1st round centre prospect on the rise and 2 2nds is ridiculous for a second line centre. C'mon man.
a 2nd line center who's paid like a legit 1c to boot.
Teams don't win when you pay non core players core money; it's a tale as old as time.
Buffalo has just now realized this.

If Buffalo wants all of that, then they better be retaining a good amount.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Pacioretty should not be any part of a ROR deal. The Sabres best players are 21, 19, and about to be 18. Young players like Mete, Poehling, Scherbak, Juulsen and picks in some combo would be the basis of a trade.

I get what you're saying, but you can't have a team of all young players. Who will be there to reel them in when they're on the road? Who will be the experienced veteran to teach them how to be a pro?

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
Don't be ridiculous. A 35 goal scoring winger, 1st round centre prospect on the rise and 2 2nds is ridiculous for a second line centre. C'mon man.
What 35 goal scorer? Because unless this deal comes with a time machine, that's not Pacioretty.

Reactions: Digable5

junyab

Jan 22, 2013

And one that has a cap hit in the top 15 of all centers.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If the 3rd overall isn’t involved Montreal is going to lose something solid off the roster whether it’s

Buf - Ryan O’Rielly

Mtl - Pacioretty, Poehling, Mtls 2nd rd pick 2018

This would be solid value for both teams in my mind. I’m sure Gallagher makes more sense for Buffalo due to his age but I’m not sure Montreal would go for it.
That's about the sanest proposal I've seen that doesn't involve the #3 OA.

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
I get what you're saying, but you can't have a team of all young players. Who will be there to reel them in when they're on the road? Who will be the experienced veteran to teach them how to be a pro?
Ya sign an experienced vet or two. Ya don't spend your best tradable asset on experience with very little else expected.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
How so? I've read that if the Sabres move ROR it's because he wont fit their long term core. Pacioretty is older. Moving ROR and bringing in Max doesn't make much sense
And I've read that moving O'Reilly may have as much to do with "fixing the locker room," which seems a little dumb but is the sort of thing that GM's do. It's hard to say for sure.

Even without O'Reilly they look okay-ish at center and thin at the wings: they've got Okposo (who seems like a giant question mark right now), Reinhart/Mittelstadt (depending on who you think the 2C is with O'Reilly gone), and... ? They have guys like Olofsson and Nylander in the system that could step up in the long run, but adding a veteran who can do it now and for the next 3-4 years seems like it'd be a big help.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
ROR + Moulson (12.5m cap hit for one season) for Pacioretty + Byron + 2nds (5.6m cap hit for one season)

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY

Botterill is in the driver's seat here. He doesnt have to move ROR and it's clear there's considerable interest around the league.

he can ask for pretty much whatever he wants and if Montreal or anyone else wants him bad enough, its gonna get paid. I see the return being either the 3rd with a little bit added from both sides (maybe ROR and Nylander for 3 and Max) or a multiple asset return like Max, Poehling and 2 2nds for ROR and another asset (32 perhaps? Maybe a forward?)

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Eichel/Dahlin/Mitt on their RFA contracts, 13M+ tied to Okposo+Pac post prime, that's an easy way to run your team into trouble.
You could be right about that, I haven't looked at their cap situation long term. It'd really depend on what kind of contract he was after, and I'm inclined to think it won't be small.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Botterill is in the driver's seat here. He doesnt have to move ROR and it's clear there's considerable interest around the league.

he can ask for pretty much whatever he wants and if Montreal or anyone else wants him bad enough, its gonna get paid. I see the return being either the 3rd with a little bit added from both sides (maybe ROR and Nylander for 3 and Max) or a multiple asset return like Max, Poehling and 2 2nds for ROR and another asset (32 perhaps? Maybe a forward?)

Prepare to be disappointed. There is no way that will be the return, I'll eat my socks. You're expecting a return that will be closer to what Karlsson will bring back.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
It’s gonna be ROR for Max plus a small add. Jake Evans perhaps. Not gonna be poehling who is a first rounder and doing everything to justify that pick.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
3 OA to Buff for ROR
Pacioretty + 2nd to Carolina for Hanifin
2nd rounder and 4th rounder to WPG for Perreault
Sign Tavares as a UFA

Drouin-Tavares-Gallagher
Domi-ROR-Shaw
Perreault-Danault-Byron

Hanifin-Weber
Mete-Petry
Alzner-X

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You could be right about that, I haven't looked at their cap situation long term. It'd really depend on what kind of contract he was after, and I'm inclined to think it won't be small.

I believe I saw his agent mention 7-8 years and used Marleau as a comparison on how he could play at a high level in his 30's.

Cap space is worth gold in todays league, Edmonton has McDavid but trouble with getting quality depth to surround him.
Buffalo should try to avoid that mistake.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Prepare to be disappointed. There is no way that will be the return, I'll eat my socks. You're expecting a return that will be closer to what Karlsson will bring back.

I wont be disappointed. I have 100% confidence that unless it's a homerun return like I described, he isnt getting moved. I'm totally fine with keeping him and running that center spine for the next 5 years or more.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I believe I saw his agent mention 7-8 years and used Marleau as a comparison on how he could play at a high level in his 30's.

Cap space is worth gold in todays league, Edmonton has McDavid but trouble with getting quality depth to surround him.
Buffalo should try to avoid that mistake.
Yikes. I rescind my position.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I wont be disappointed. I have 100% confidence that unless it's a homerun return like I described, he isnt getting moved. I'm totally fine with keeping him and running that center spine for the next 5 years or more.

And I'm fine with Montreal tanking next year for a draft very deep in centres. They can just move Pacioretty for picks and prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad