Confirmed with Link: Bergeron - Signs 8yrs/52mill

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
money wise, im not too worried about it, but why the 8 year contract though . chia is handing out 8 year contracts like its candy.

It's the max number of years you're allowed to sign your own player under the new CBA. He's handed out 2, and both to players that are crucial to the longterm success of the franchise.

blackngold4877

Aug 31, 2006
The only problem with this deal is that we can only give him 8 years at a time. Never want to see Bergeron in another jersey.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's the max number of years you're allowed to sign your own player under the new CBA. He's handed out 2, and both to players that are crucial to the longterm success of the franchise.

Yeah, that`s two whole pieces of candy so far, that`s a lot of candy you know:sarcasm:

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
No. Bergeron will retire as Bruin. That's the purpose of this contract...

While I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Patrice will retire at 36, I think you misconstrued the fact that he wants to remain a Bruin for his entire career and that this contract is the purpose of that. Like I said, he could retire at 36 because of his history with concussions but I don't think you can interpret that this contract is the purpose of that. He could still get one more contract (depending on years of that contract) after this one expires.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
money wise, im not too worried about it, but why the 8 year contract though . chia is handing out 8 year contracts like its candy.

When do the new CBA terms begin? I thought one of the things that came out of the lockout was 5 year limits for long term contracts. So if that has not yet kicked in then the reason for 8 year contracts to Rask and Bergeron could be that they wanted the 8 years before the 5 year limit kicks in.

**Edit** Never mind it i 7 year limts and 8 years if resigning with the same team.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Thank you, Bergy.

Don't look now, but it is quite possible that Bergy could eclipse The Great and Eminent Robert G. Orr in the pantheon of legendary Bruins.

I don't agree but I do think he will come very close. Bergeron is an incredibly special player and I'm glad he will be a Bruin for life.

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
When do the new CBA terms begin? I thought one of the things that came out of the lockout was 5 year limits for long term contracts. So if that has not yet kicked in then the reason for 8 year contracts to Rask and Bergeron could be that they wanted the 8 years before the 5 year limit kicks in.

That was the hill that the NHL was going to "die on"...cept they didn't. :laugh:

FallsForItEveryYear

Jun 26, 2007
love it.

people worried about the concussions shouldn't be. if he gets a bad one he will go on ltir just like savard. only thing to worry about is him losing his skill and not being worth the cap hit. i highly doubt that will happen. you dont lose smarts, hockey sense, leadership or determination. so even if his skills erode over time he will continue to be a valuable player. plus the cap will most likely continue to rise throughout this contract meaning he will be a better and better value with each passing season off setting any eroding skill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad