Benson vs. Lavoie: Who steps up?

Who is more likely to make the roster next season?

• Tyler Benson

Votes: 92 56.1%
  • Raphael Lavoie

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • Neither have much of a chance at all

Votes: 48 29.3%

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
.. Okay so we shouldn't give Benson a chance at all? He played decent in his first ever call up. Team is in contend now mode but that doesn't mean Benson can't play third line minutes. Also, Our top line isn't set on the wings. Plus how do you know anything about him at all lmao. Aside from a handful of NHL games where he continually got better, you haven't seen him progress in the AHL. You never saw Yamamoto, Jones or Bear progress at all either.

Benson has had several chances here and has been a pro player for what, 4 seasons? I mean it gets a bit tiring. Frankly our forwards prospects pre Holland were not all that good. yes I know you're going to mention Yams. ;)

I mean obviously you give him TC, just like any other, to show his wares, and maybe a couple preseason games. But from what I've seen if he starts with the Oilers next season, without having a brilliant tc and preseason, its just indicative we haven't filled all the holes.

I mean if he knocks it out of the ballpark good for him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He’s only been a pro for 2 seasons. 17-18 was his last year of junior.

My bad, but he's 23 in just a few months...kind of weird. Seemed like he was in the pipeline longer than that.

I mean one way or the other he's our 2016 32nd pick and would've been nice to get something out of that by now. By upcoming season its 5years later.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yeah, fair point. I have McLeod 3rd but I could certainly see the argument for him being #1 even.
Yeh, no worries.. It just seems a little unfair to Lavoie who was drafted last season in 2nd round to be up against someone like Benson.

Reactions: McOvechking

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Benson isnt an NHL player with that skating. He is running out of time.

Lavoie ... not much hope at this point until he shows something.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
My bad, but he's 23 in just a few months...kind of weird. Seemed like he was in the pipeline longer than that.

I mean one way or the other he's our 2016 32nd pick and would've been nice to get something out of that by now. By upcoming season its 5years later.
The thing with Benson is he had so many injuries in junior even pre draft that he was always going to be a bit of a project.

He definitely has talent. He remains the greatest minor hockey player I’ve ever seen and I played with and against some future NHLers.

Reactions: GOilers88

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The thing with Benson is he had so many injuries in junior even pre draft that he was always going to be a bit of a project.

He definitely has talent. He remains the greatest minor hockey player I’ve ever seen and I played with and against some future NHLers.

Yeah, goes to show that nothing in minors ever guarantees NHL success. I mean key attributes have to be there and NHL level skating, for a forward, is a pretty hard one to be missing out on. That he's a bit small, not great absorbing NHL level contact or time and pressure. These are hard things to overcome. I just feel like this is the student that tries University many times and just can't hack the level.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

In the same breath, JP is our first rounder from the same draft, and people still think he can make it.

Sort of odd to see support for JP but not for Benson, especially considering all the early career injuries he went through.

I don't think people are nearly patient enough with prospects, period.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In the same breath, JP is our first rounder from the same draft, and people still think he can make it.

Sort of odd to see support for JP but not for Benson, especially considering all the early career injuries he went through.

I don't think people are nearly patient enough with prospects, period.

I'm more patient if the players picked were D or big players, expected role, or grit players. Most times they take longer to develop.

For a smaller offensive skills player forward, that skillset should be showing up by now here. In honesty Benson didn't even have that great an AHL season afairc.

Seems like he took a step back. Poor TC , poor preseason, and not great AHL season.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

Well, that doesnt mean dick squat. David Quenville was his equivalent as a D man in minor hockey & hes barely an ECHL'r.
Btw, in minor hockey his forward peers, Jost & Steele, were just as good as him. Clague (a d-man) may or may not have been better then them all.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Too soon for Lavoie. Should be playing in the AHL/Europe.

Benson I'm pretty much ready to write off if he can't make the roster next training camp. It's now or never for him. He had a golden opportunity last season with the wings wide open and did absolutely nothing with it.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Well, that doesnt mean dick squat. David Quenville was his equivalent as a D man in minor hockey & hes barely an ECHL'r.
Btw, in minor hockey his forward peers, Jost & Steele, were just as good as him. Clague (a d-man) may or may not have been better then them all.
Sorry you don’t know what your talking about. Benson was on another level than Steel. Jost I don’t even remember playing minor hockey in Edmonton. I know he’s from around here but he was the same age he wasn’t breaking records like Benson was or I would have heard about him. Quenville also literally produced at half the rate Benson did. I remember Quennville had like 70 some points in AAA the one year and Benson had over 140.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Benson is definitely the more likely to make the roster next season as he has two pro seasons and some NHL games under his belt. Lavoie needs more time learning the pro game - he was still playing junior last year.

I think the chances of Benson making the team out of camp are slim though. He really needs to work on improving his speed to be able to be more effective in the NHL. I believe he'll get there though and he showed glimpses last year with some solid plays and good hockey IQ, but I'm just not sure if he's going to stick this coming year. If he does stick it will be a pleasant surprise.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I thought Benson was good in his stint last year after settling in. I think Benson is young enough to keep improving his skating (i.e. Bear) and is strong, smart, and skilled enough to make up for it. I don't know if the goal scoring and skating are there to be a strong top 6 option but I could see him being a strong 3rd liner for years. Not everyone needs to be a burner and there's still slow players in the NHL contributing.

I think his AHL stats are good enough to suggest his skating isn't as big a deficiency as its being made out to be. His numbers in his first 2 years pro are very strong and suggest he can compete at a higher level and suggesting he won't be a top 6 forward is already discounting the results based on his skating. His passing and smarts are exactly what one needs to make up for skating. He's aggressive and good on the boards too.
Hopefully he can have an Ethan Bear like leap in one offseason and be a major contributor next season. We’ve seen it happen just last year.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

He's 23 in March, basically half a year away. He's 22 this year and 23 next year, lets not try and age him a year. He's been pro for 2 seasons, why the panic? Even if he doesn't make the team this year it's fine for a player to play 3 seasons in the AHL, especially given the lost time in junior. Making the NHL at 23 isn't unusual and given his injury issues in junior was always the likely path for him. Not all guys develop quickly, especially outside the 1st round. I don't get the panic with Benson. I get the issues with his skating, that's fair and will likely determine how good he can be, but I don't get why playing 2 years in the AHL and killing it is being held against him. That's how you develop talent out of the 1st round. Let them grow and dominate at lower levels. He's even doing well in the Swiss League right now playing on big ice.

Reactions: Aerrol

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He's 23 in March, basically half a year away. He's 22 this year and 23 next year, lets not try and age him a year. He's been pro for 2 seasons, why the panic? Even if he doesn't make the team this year it's fine for a player to play 3 seasons in the AHL, especially given the lost time in junior. Making the NHL at 23 isn't unusual and given his injury issues in junior was always the likely path for him. Not all guys develop quickly, especially outside the 1st round. I don't get the panic with Benson. I get the issues with his skating, that's fair and will likely determine how good he can be, but I don't get why playing 2 years in the AHL and killing it is being held against him. That's how you develop talent out of the 1st round. Let them grow and dominate at lower levels. He's even doing well in the Swiss League right now playing on big ice.

The problem with Benson is.

His commitment sucks. He has not committed to improving his skating like a true pro.

He makes by with his IQ... but the rest of his skillset is so severely lacking. Board play, Skating,Shooting,Intensity. etc

he needs to do nothing else all offseason other then to strap on parachutes and skate up and down the ice all offseason.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Sorry you don’t know what your talking about. Benson was on another level than Steel. Jost I don’t even remember playing minor hockey in Edmonton. I know he’s from around here but he was the same age he wasn’t breaking records like Benson was or I would have heard about him. Quenville also literally produced at half the rate Benson did. I remember Quennville had like 70 some points in AAA the one year and Benson had over 140.
Sorry. You have no idea. Quenville was a defenseman & as good a D as Benson was a forward in minor hockey. The fact you dont know Jost played minor hockey further proves my point that you really dont have an informed opinion. Jost was as good, as was Steel. Or close enough.
Benson was great. But he played on stacked teams (SSAC) that were far, far better than everyone else. Steel (Strathcona), not so much.
Fwiw, ask most 98 kids who played against him or their parents. Most would agree with me he was nowhere near on another level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad