Benson vs. Lavoie: Who steps up?

Who is more likely to make the roster next season?

• Tyler Benson

Votes: 92 56.1%
  • Raphael Lavoie

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • Neither have much of a chance at all

Votes: 48 29.3%

• Total voters

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Perhaps our two most promising and NHL ready prospects, and as it currently stands there is a glaring hole in our top-9 that one of these youngsters should be looking to fill.

Who is more likely to step up and force themselves into a permanent spot on the Oilers roster next season?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I don't see Benson ever really panning out. Just doesn't seem to have it.

Still too early for Lavoie, no knock against him though. Still a player there I think.

Reactions: CarlWising

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Benson should be miles ahead of Lavoie if they are remotely close brain/ talent wise, given that he’s played 2 years pro vs none for Lavoie. If he’s not, Benson has no chance to play anything but games here and there in the NHL

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Perhaps our two most promising and NHL ready prospects, and as it currently stands there is a glaring hole in our top-9 that one of these youngsters should be looking to fill.

Who is more likely to step up and force themselves into a permanent spot on the Oilers roster next season?
Yeah this year isn’t make or break for Benson but it’s definitely a big year for him. He’s performed very well at the AHL level and was satisfactory near the end of his very brief call up.

Lavoie is years behind his development wise and him cracking the roster this year is very unlikely.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just voted for the player I feel will have more of a chance of making our roster at all. With Benson if he was going to he would have shown any signs of being close by now.

neither I expectwill do much of anything here this season, or even be here a lot.

I mean really if Benson is in the lineup its kind of an indictment on how little Holland has done improving our roster. Because Benning is showing no signs of being an NHL ready player.

Funny thing in the thread so far is the comments, most of them are kind of blah on Benson, yet he's winning the poll by a mile.

poll should have been worded differently. As stated its unfair, as Lavoie, drafted much later, is expected to make ground before Benson in order to get a vote..

Reactions: McOvechking

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I just voted for the player I feel will have more of a chance of making our roster at all. With Benson if he was going to he would have shown any signs of being close by now.

neither I expectwill do much of anything here this season, or even be here a lot.

I mean really if Benson is in the lineup its kind of an indictment on how little Holland has done improving our roster. Because Benning is showing no signs of being an NHL ready player.

Funny thing in the thread so far is the comments, most of them are kind of blah on Benson, yet he's winning the poll by a mile.

poll should have been worded differently. As stated its unfair, as Lavoie, drafted much later, is expected to make ground before Benson in order to get a vote..
A developed prospect cracking the lineup means that Holland didn’t do his job? What?

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A developed prospect cracking the lineup means that Holland didn’t do his job? What?

A prospect that hasn't added one iota anytime he's been here and was even gifted a slot last TC, with the team expecting him to make it, and he failed abjectly.

Benson the whole time, watching TC, scrimmages, preseason games. he's impressed me in one game, actually one period. Thats about it.

But I'm sure no Benson fan so take with grain of salt.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
It's sort of a sad state of affairs that neither of these guys is all that promising of a prospect. I agree that Benson just doesn't seem to have it, and I would be very surprised if he carves out an NHL career for himself.

Thought Lavoie would get more respect because he does seem to be developing. But I don't watch him as much as I'm sure others do.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
A prospect that hasn't added one iota anytime he's been here and was even gifted a slot last TC, with the team expecting him to make it, and he failed abjectly.

Benson the whole time, watching TC, scrimmages, preseason games. he's impressed me in one game, actually one period. Thats about it.
Yam didn’t impress much up here either until this season. Does that make Holland a failure because he cracked the line up?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It's sort of a sad state of affairs that neither of these guys is all that promising of a prospect. I agree that Benson just doesn't seem to have it, and I would be very surprised if he carves out an NHL career for himself.

Thought Lavoie would get more respect because he does seem to be developing. But I don't watch him as much as I'm sure others do.

I think the problem is no one is really expecting a 2nd rounder (even a very talented one like Lavoie) to step in in his 2nd year with the organization. Lavoie needs some seasoning still, no shame in that.

Benson needs to show something this year, and this is from a Benson fan.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yam didn’t impress much up here either until this season. Does that make Holland a failure because he cracked the line up?

meh. Were on McD timeclock going on coming up to 6th season. This is more the time to start plugging in vet players that are ready to rock, and that help us immediately vs spending years trying to get some help from development. Its particularly my view that we are wasting most of the seasons of McDrai that we will have. The team is in contend now clock. In even 3-4 yrs we are outside the prime McDrai window and either one or the other is not here, or they are tracking down with age. Compete windows are very brief periods of time. if the Oilers manage to completely blow the full Mcdrai time clock I'll lose my shit..;)

So thats not anything personal on Benson. But we need better help in say topsix than he would offer.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
People are writing off Benson and yet he went #5 in our prospect pool. So what does that say about our prospect pool? Should we write them all off?

Reactions: McTonyBrar

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
meh. Were on McD timeclock going on coming up to 6th season. This is more the time to start plugging in vet players that are ready to rock, and that help us immediately vs spending years trying to get some help from development. Its particularly my view that we are wasting most of the seasons of McDrai that we will have. The team is in contend now clock. In even 3-4 yrs we are outside the prime McDrai window and either one or the other is not here, or they are tracking down with age. Compete windows are very brief periods of time. if the Oilers manage to completely blow the full Mcdrai time clock I'll lose my shit..;)

So thats not anything personal on Benson. But we need better help in say topsix than he would offer.
Didn’t really answer my question haha

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I don’t think Benson skates well enough to play in the NHL. Lavoie needs more time.

Neither are gonna do anything next year, Benson might get a couple games.

I thought Benson was good in his stint last year after settling in. I think Benson is young enough to keep improving his skating (i.e. Bear) and is strong, smart, and skilled enough to make up for it. I don't know if the goal scoring and skating are there to be a strong top 6 option but I could see him being a strong 3rd liner for years. Not everyone needs to be a burner and there's still slow players in the NHL contributing.

I think his AHL stats are good enough to suggest his skating isn't as big a deficiency as its being made out to be. His numbers in his first 2 years pro are very strong and suggest he can compete at a higher level and suggesting he won't be a top 6 forward is already discounting the results based on his skating. His passing and smarts are exactly what one needs to make up for skating. He's aggressive and good on the boards too.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
People are writing off Benson and yet he went #5 in our prospect pool. So what does that say about our prospect pool? Should we write them all off?
Our forward prospects are pretty crappy. This past draft hopefully helps. I think Benson just needs to be quicker. I do think he has the raw talent. I also think he is gritty enough and smart enough to carve out a career in a bottom 6 role if he has to. I do think he’ll be an nhl player for sure just unsure how good of one.

Reactions: Aerrol and Samus44

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Benson has more chance by virtue of his advance age and development. But in a supply market of cheap NHL proven talent Benson will be challenged to make the Oilers roster. His average, at best, foot speed is a challenge in a league that continues to get faster. Ennis can be prone to injuries so maybe Benson gets some NHL games in through injury recall. Sounds like a real good kid but I think he will top out as a bit of a tweener.

Reactions: Aerrol

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
OP has false logic.
Calling Benson and Lavoie the 2 most promising and NHL ready forward prospects.

Should have been McLeod and Benson.

Reactions: McOvechking

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

But I'm sure no Benson fan so take with grain of salt.
And Yamamoto didn’t do anything until his most recent call up.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Right now, Benson. Future wise, both may end up being good complimentary top six forwards or top 9

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

.. Okay so we shouldn't give Benson a chance at all? He played decent in his first ever call up. Team is in contend now mode but that doesn't mean Benson can't play third line minutes. Also, Our top line isn't set on the wings. Plus how do you know anything about him at all lmao. Aside from a handful of NHL games where he continually got better, you haven't seen him progress in the AHL. You never saw Yamamoto, Jones or Bear progress at all either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad