Sportsnet: Bennett has asked for a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Cup winning teams have depth players that step up in the playoffs that is what Bennett has proven to be.
Yeah but generally players do that when they get there. It's not common for them to only be good when they're in the playoffs. That's pretty inconvenient actually. Particularly when cap dollars are so limited across the league and this guy is taking up space because he only turns out when the games 'matter'.

I'm not buying the idea that Sam Bennett is highly sought after because he's a 'playoff performer'. I buy the idea that teams are hesitant to give up anything of value because this guy belongs in the same spot on a roster as a handful of guys who've cleared waivers recently.

Teams probably like him because he's another example of the 'fresh start'.

Last edited:
Reactions: nbwingsfan

Ledge And Dairy

Yeah but generally players do that when they get there. It's not common for them to only be good when they're in the playoffs. That's pretty inconvenient actually. Particularly when cap dollars are so limited across the league and this guy is taking up space because he only turns out in when the games 'matter'.

I'm not buying the idea that Sam Bennett is highly sought after because he's a 'playoff performer'. I buy the idea that teams are hesitant to give up anything of value because this guy belongs in the same spot on a roster as a handful of guys who've cleared waivers recently.

Teams probably like him because he's another example of the 'fresh start'.
Well Friedman says there is a large market for him so I'll take his word over a random Oilers fan who seems to think games that 'matter' arent important.

Ledge And Dairy

Athanasiou went unqualified. Unless Bennett suddenly becomes an impactful NHL player in the next 40 games, he'll be a UFA on July 1st.
Thats because he was a horrible fit, as well as a defensive liability on a team starving from lack of defensive depth. Furthermore his QO was 3 million and took place during the initial covid crunch. If Bennett shows up again in the post season (like he probably will) he will get qualified.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well Friedman says there is a large market for him so I'll take his word over a random Oilers fan who seems to think games that 'matter' arent important.
Arguments here are always fun. Where did I say that games that matter aren't important?

I even mentioned Friedman's opinion earlier. I'd like to hear him elaborate.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Thats because he was a horrible fit, as well as a defensive liability on a team starving from lack of defensive depth. Furthermore his QO was 3 million and took place during the initial covid crunch. If Bennett shows up again in the post season (like he probably will) he will get qualified.
Bookmarking your post. Bennett scored 12 points last season and he makes $2.5m. I like my chances.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No shit he had 0 points in the embarrassing elimination to the hawks.
He also scored 30 goals the year before. Bennett hasn't scored 30 points since he was a rookie. All of the other points are valid though. AA was a horrendous fit for Edmonton and letting him walk was absolutely the right move.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He also scored 30 goals the year before. Bennett hasn't scored 30 points since he was a rookie.

Show me where I said Bennett hadn't struggled in the regular season? The Oilers inability to find players that show up in the playoffs is understandable if all they are doing is looking at regular season stats.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Show me where I said Bennett hadn't struggled in the regular season? The Oilers inability to find players that show up in the playoffs is understandable if all they are doing is looking at regular season stats.
You're arguing the point about Bennett being qualified. I'm arguing he won't and Bennett's lack of production during the regular season would be the primary reason why he isn't worth the money.

The regular season is 82 games long generally and Bennett has been a part of one playoff run that has gone beyond the first round. You guys are putting a lot of emphasis on something that doesn't happen very frequently.

Ledge And Dairy

Arguments here are always fun. Where did I say that games that matter aren't important?

I even mentioned Friedman's opinion earlier. I'd like to hear him elaborate.
You implied it with "That's pretty inconvenient actually. Particularly when cap dollars are so limited across the league and this guy is taking up space because he only turns out in when the games 'matter'"

I get that the Oilers may not want him because he doesnt help them get to the playoffs but some teams (ie. Tampa, Colorado, Philly, Boston) don't actually need that help getting there and would actually pay for what he brings in the playoffs as well as that potential that may blossom in a new environment.

As for Friedman's opinion, you are asking the wrong place for that, but he is definitely one of the best insiders out there so even though his word isn't gospel it's usually got strong sourcing behind it.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Maybe if Bennett works really hard he'll get to join the big time scorers "when it matters" club with Pisani and Ward. Third liners who have a good series or two with inflated shooting percentages never fall back to earth once they have more than a few runs for sample size.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Guessing McCann for Bennett. Reunite Jankowski and Bennett together.
Now that is an interesting idea. Certainly it is easier on a new inbound player if he knows a buddy on his new team. But McCann is another left shot LW/Centre which is one of the reasons Bennett is in this position in the first place. The Flames have too many of them.

Kapanen would be the guy to go after. Flames could even sweeten the deal by returning Simon who played better with the Pens.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You're arguing the point about Bennett being qualified. I'm arguing he won't and Bennett's lack of production during the regular season would be the primary reason why he isn't worth the money.

The regular season is 82 games long generally and Bennett has been a part of one playoff run that has gone beyond the first round. You guys are putting a lot of emphasis on something that doesn't happen very frequently.

Bennett leads on the forecheck which is extremely valuable in a 2-1-2 system. I guess, being an Oilers fan, you aren’t familiar with things like structure and system.

you watch the Oilers everyday who play a 3-2 system. I mean I’m sure they are supposed to play a 2-1-2 but McDavid and Draisatl are wingers playing centre. They are always thinking offense in the offensive zone. They never are in the right position to maintain that 3 person defensive shell which is what centers like Bergeron, O’Reilly, Backlund etc. do. Thats why they give up more scoring chances than anyone.

your entire argument is about points... just like your team. How’s that going for you?

Reactions: nowhereman

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Now that is an interesting idea. Certainly it is easier on a new inbound player if he knows a buddy on his new team. But McCann is another left shot LW/Centre which is one of the reasons Bennett is in this position in the first place. The Flames have too many of them.

Kapanen would be the guy to go after. Flames could even sweeten the deal by returning Simon who played better with the Pens.

Kapanen? the guy we traded a mid round 1st for Kapanen? We don't have JR as GM anymore so that would be a nope.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

We disagree as I would pay 3 million to a bottom 6 player like Bennett next year.

Reactions: belair

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd offer kerfoot + Dermott + 3rd

For
Bennett
Calgary gets a replacement 3c who puts up 30 + points a season and is decent defensively and Dermott who is playing as a number 5 but could absolutely hold his own if injuries forced him to move up. The 3rd is a 3rd. I think the leafs could get more out of Bennett then he's shown to date.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Its highly unlikely that Treliving will make a trade within the North division and help out one of the Flames division rivals. Just because Bennett wants to be traded, at this moment in time, doesn't mean that the Flames have to trade him.

Its also highly unlikely that he will make a trade outside of the division and lose Bennett and have to wait two weeks to get his replacement.
If Bennett gets traded I'm almost positive it will be in the off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad