Sportsnet: Bennett has asked for a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I hope Treliving can sell high on Bennett by pushing the narrative that he is buried in the system, plays a hard game and really takes it up a notch in the playoffs. His high draft position should help sell that narrative. If I'm Trelviing I would add another legit piece and get someone back that isn't a reclamation project (Virtanen, etc). If he cant package him with a decent draft pick, or a cap controlled asset like a Kylington. Then I dont think they can win this trade.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
How about a Compher-Bennett swap where retention is spread across two other teams for a pick each?

For example:
  • Colorado: Bennett ($2.55 x 1) for Compher + COL 2021 5th.
  • Calgary: Compher ($2.7m x 2) for Bennett + CGY 2021 5th.
  • Detroit: CGY 2021 5th for $400k x 3 .
  • Los Angeles: COL 2021 5th for $400k x 3.

Calgary would thus get Compher at a $2.7m caphit.

Colorado would get Bennett and move Compher's contract.

LA and Detroit would get picks for minimal capspace that they probably won't use anyways. The exact retention for LA/Detroit could be adjusted slightly to compensate for Calgary's 5th likely being slightly higher than Colorado's 5th.

Spreading the retention across two teams would reduce the value of the pick needed to get the retention from a 3rd party, as a single team retaining $800k x 3 would want a more significant pick. The alternative would be to get only one team to retain $800k x 3, but they'd likely ask for at least a 3rd round pick which would make it less appealing.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I hope Treliving can sell high on Bennett by pushing the narrative that he is buried in the system, plays a hard game and really takes it up a notch in the playoffs. His high draft position should help sell that narrative. If I'm Trelviing I would add another legit piece and get someone back that isn't a reclamation project (Virtanen, etc). If he cant package him with a decent draft pick, or a cap controlled asset like a Kylington. Then I dont think they can win this trade.
No one's giving up major assets for Bennett, he's an expensive reclamation project at 2.5m. from a leafs fans perspective, he interests me because he's a slightly cheaper option at third line centre than Kerfoot and fits the role better since he actually hits. That's about it. His playoff performance is definitely a bonus but nothing I would focus on because 15 good games in the past two seasons is a small sample size to work with

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
No one's giving up major assets for Bennett, he's an expensive reclamation project at 2.5m. from a leafs fans perspective, he interests me because he's a slightly cheaper option at third line centre than Kerfoot and fits the role better since he actually hits. That's about it. His playoff performance is definitely a bonus but nothing I would focus on because 15 good games in the past two seasons is a small sample size to work with
So Bennett is a better, cheaper, and more physical 3C than Kerfoot, but at the same time he's a reclamation project? :huh:

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I want to see how Kerfoot does against Montreal again. I really like Bennett, but Kerfoot also played well in the playoffs and had a good game against the Habs in the season opener.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Bennett for Virtanen seems like a no brainer, Calgary is always looking for a big RW to put opposite Gaudreau or Tkachuk, players are on the outs, make the same, and can play for their new teams instantly. A homeless man's version of Laine for PLD

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The only upgrade is that Bennett is bigger and hits more, Kerfoot is better defensively and offensively.

When the game gets tough like a playoffs, Bennett steps up. Kerfoot, not sure if he can even if he wants too.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I'd love him on the Leafs. I just get the feeling has had a bit of what this team could benefit from and think it would work out well for Toronto and Bennett.

I'm just not sure if there's a trade that Calgary would be happy with.

Leafs need to save on cap, but they also value the young guys on ELC's who are needed as depth.

Probably doesn't happen.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Would almost rather add to Bennett to get a better RW like Rakell or Labanc for Monahan and Gaudreau to play with. Would rather just not trade him at all but if there's no way around it might as well take the opportunity to upgrade.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014

Well I hope Brad hangs up on you and sells his vacuum somewhere else

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
So Bennett is a better, cheaper, and more physical 3C than Kerfoot, but at the same time he's a reclamation project? :huh:
Saying a player is more physical and cheaper than Kerfoot isn't exactly saying much, is it? He also scores less than Kerfoot but we don't need our third line centre for that

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why can't he "step up" out of 4th line production for the 2nd season in a row?
He did in the playoffs,

If he did it consistently in the regular season then there is no Bennett trade talk, and nothing for people to trash him

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Bennett for Virtanen seems like a no brainer, Calgary is always looking for a big RW to put opposite Gaudreau or Tkachuk, players are on the outs, make the same, and can play for their new teams instantly. A homeless man's version of Laine for PLD

I can't see much push back from Canucks fans on this one. I'd even add a late pick/lower end prospect to get it done.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I think the Flames are in no rush to trade Benny. They should give him an extended look in the wing with Johnny and Mony and either raise his trade value or he rescinds his trade request.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I hope playing with Gaudreau and Monahan brings out the best in Bennett. I hope Ward gives him at least 10 games to prove he's the player we have all seen flashes of. I hope this change makes Bennett happy. I think that Bennett wants to stay with the Flames... he just wants a chance to contribute in a meaningful way.
I'd rather have a motivated Bennett playing for the Flames than against. I have a feeling that any Bennett trade will end up with the Flames getting the short end of the stick.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Brian Burke has just been hired by the Pens, Bennett seems like his kind of player.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I think you mean poor man’s.

Homeless men are nomads without a team. It might seem like Jake and Sam are homeless at times because they wander but at the end of day, they still have a bench or press box to go back to.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
How about a Compher-Bennett swap where retention is spread across two other teams for a pick each?

For example:
  • Colorado: Bennett ($2.55 x 1) for Compher + COL 2021 5th.
  • Calgary: Compher ($2.7m x 2) for Bennett + CGY 2021 5th.
  • Detroit: CGY 2021 5th for $400k x 3 .
  • Los Angeles: COL 2021 5th for $400k x 3.
Calgary would thus get Compher at a $2.7m caphit.

Colorado would get Bennett and move Compher's contract.

LA and Detroit would get picks for minimal capspace that they probably won't use anyways. The exact retention for LA/Detroit could be adjusted slightly to compensate for Calgary's 5th likely being slightly higher than Colorado's 5th.

Spreading the retention across two teams would reduce the value of the pick needed to get the retention from a 3rd party, as a single team retaining $800k x 3 would want a more significant pick. The alternative would be to get only one team to retain $800k x 3, but they'd likely ask for at least a 3rd round pick which would make it less appealing.

This is terrible for Detroit and LA. You’re asking both Teams to spend 1.2 million in salary for 5th round picks. While that money is spread out I suspect both teams easily say no. There is better use of that money than a 5th round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad