Sportsnet: Bennett has asked for a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It would be understandable if he was a good two-way player but to me it seems like he's basically Gilbert Brule lol.
Nope, he's a pretty good 2 way player. He's a playoff performer and his most common linemates last year were Jankowski, Ryan and Rieder. Unless you're McDavid you aren't putting up numbers with those linemates.

Reactions: Nanuuk

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Can someone please explain to me why this dude should garner more of a return than what the Oilers got for Yakupov?

Yakupov floats

Bennett also has a playoff record that is intriguing....

Also Bennett may not score much but he is a shit disturber that make your bottom 6 tough to play against some times.

As a fan of his, you will be totally pissed off why can't he score more but you keep coming back hoping next time

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomstick

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nope, he's a pretty good 2 way player. He's a playoff performer and his most common linemates last year were Jankowski, Ryan and Rieder. Unless you're McDavid you aren't putting up numbers with those linemates.
All three of those players are better and more accomplished players than he is. The only redeeming quality he owns are his stats in the playoffs. Friedman seems to think that's enough, but I agree, there's not much separating him from press box fodder. I don't get the high valuation.

Another example is Sam Gagner when he was traded for Teddy Purcell. Gagner made a lot more, but he was also significantly more productive. What's Bennett's comparable?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Can someone please explain to me why this dude should garner more of a return than what the Oilers got for Yakupov?
Bennett is better than Yakupov.
That wasn’t very hard.

Although he has been somewhat disappointing to this point in his career Bennett is still an NHL player even if he is never more than a 4th liner who can move up the lineup when needed. Yakopov is a complete bust.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
All three of those players are better and more accomplished players than he is. The only redeeming quality he owns are his stats in the playoffs. Friedman seems to think that's enough, but I agree, there's not much separating him from press box fodder. I don't get the high valuation.

Another example is Sam Gagner when he was traded for Teddy Purcell. Gagner made a lot more, but he was also significantly more productive. What's Bennett's comparable?
Gagner in his first stint with the Oilers to me seems like a perfect comparable. Gags was much better offensively but also didn't have any playoff pedigree so I think value-wise they'd be bang on.
Because the Oilers have had terrible gms that could not make a solid trade.
Well maybe you guys should trade Bennett to the Oilers then because no one else in their right mind is going to give up anything of value for this plug.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Wrong
Only Ryan has been at times
In all honesty it's been a number of years since Rieder has been that level of player, but he's absolutely accomplished more at the NHL level than Bennett. He's still a quality PKer as well.

As a Calgary fan, you watched Jankowski leap Bennett in the pecking order.

Ryan is a legitimate 3C.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
In all honesty it's been a number of years since Rieder has been that level of player, but he's absolutely accomplished more at the NHL level than Bennett. He's still a quality PKer as well.

As a Calgary fan, you watched Jankowski leap Bennett in the pecking order.

Ryan is a legitimate 3C.

Jank didn't leap Bennett..what are you watching...Janks was benched most of the time last year. They let them go for minimum salary. Educate yourself on flames hockey or stop talking about them man.

Chaisson is better than Pulju is more accurate than reider or jank better than Bennett

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Jank didn't leap Bennett..what are you watching...Janks was benched most of the time last year. They let them go for minimum salary. Educate yourself on flames hockey or stop talking about them man.

Chaisson is better than Pulju is more accurate than reider or jank better than Bennett
In 18/19 Jankowski was one of your primary PK forwards. He was used heavily in a defensive role and took a significant amount of faceoffs for Calgary, finishing the season with more points than Bennett in a year that wasn't particularly bad for Bennett in terms of offensive production. How is that not leaping him? Bennett didn't even play center that year.

You don't have to be a Calgary fan to see that Bennett has never found a role.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
In 18/19 Jankowski was one of your primary PK forwards. He was used heavily in a defensive role and took a significant amount of faceoffs for Calgary, finishing the season with more points than Bennett in a year that wasn't particularly bad for Bennett in terms of offensive production. How is that not leaping him? Bennett didn't even play center that year.

You don't have to be a Calgary fan to see that Bennett has never found a role.
Bennett lead the team in points in the playoffs that year, then again the following year. Most flames see Bennett has struggled in the regular season but there is no doubt when the games matter most Bennett shows up. Bennett is now being tried with Gaudreau and Monahan and I believe he will show he deserves to be there.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Bennett the team in points in the playoffs that year. Then again the following year. Most flames see Bennett as struggled in the regular season but there is no doubt when the games matter most Bennett shows up. Bennett is cobalt betting tried with Gaudreau and Monahan and I believe he will show he deserves to be there.
This is where the disconnect is. How do you valuate something that happens so infrequently?

- he produces in the post-season
- he doesn't produce in the regular season
- he's probably not worth qualifying

This is probably why he hasn't been traded yet.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
This is where the disconnect is. How do you valuate something that happens so infrequently?

Cup winning teams have depth players that step up in the playoffs that is what Bennett has proven to be.

Ledge And Dairy

Producing in the post season has way more value than producing in the regular season. I highly expect him to be qualified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad