Movies: Ben Affleck out of the Batman role

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I generally like Affleck but he never landed with me as Batman.

Would like to see them go with a good actor but fairly mainstream unknown. Anytime I watched Rupert Friend in Homeland I always thought he would make a great Bruce Wayne and Batman.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
The Dark Knight is pretty much the consensus GOAT super hero trilogy.....it's pretty hard to follow that up, but it's also pretty hard to fubar it as much as Warner Bros have.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Wasn't a huge fan of his as Bruce Wayne/Batman but finally started to get used to him in that role. Jared Leto plays the Joker in one movie and he gets replaced. DC has such great characters and stories but there is a reason why Marvel is dominating them in film adaptations. Marvel has managed to make me care more about and have more interest in a talking raccoon than Batman and Superman.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
Marvel got lucky with the first few movies, then nearly fumbled the ball around the time of Age of Ultron and all the studio interference that drove Whedon and Edgar Wright away. They seemingly got the message after that, put a single voice in charge of the whole thing, and have largely been knocking it out of the park ever since.

DC/WB, on the other hand, is still insisting on making these movies by committee, with massive reshoots and studio interference on just about every film post-Nolan, with Wonder Woman looking like the lone exception. How DC hasn't gotten the message yet is beyond me.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Marvel has made everything with the bigger picture in mind and it's resulted in the viewers getting to know the characters and caring about them. When the Avengers came out I knew and cared about the characters on screen already. With Justice League, not so much. DC on the other hand has pretty much just made everything one gigantic convoluted mess. I honestly think DC has done less with more as they have the better characters and stories to tell. They have messed it all up though while Marvel on the other hand (minus a brief lull around IM3, Thor2, AOU, etc) has absolutely knocked it out of the park. I honestly think some of the best stuff they have done has been recently with Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther, Civil War, SMHC, and Infinity War.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The DCU pretty much needs a full reboot outside of WW. It's a giant mess. Nothing works, all the actors are dull and lack charisma. The plots are uninspiring and mundane.

Which is pretty sad considering they just started a new universe for most of these properties.

Bring Nolan in and pay him a billion dollars to run the whole thing.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The DCU pretty much needs a full reboot outside of WW. It's a giant mess. Nothing works, all the actors are dull and lack charisma. The plots are uninspiring and mundane.

Which is pretty sad considering they just started a new universe for most of these properties.

Bring Nolan in and pay him a billion dollars to run the whole thing.
At least they got one thing right by getting rid of Snyder. I get vertigo trying to watch the final act in man of steal and superman v batman was an absolute mess from start to finish. Some of the best one liners in DP2 were DCU disses.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
At least they got one thing right by getting rid of Snyder. I get vertigo trying to watch the final act in man of steal and superman v batman was an absolute mess from start to finish. Some of the best one liners in DP2 were DCU disses.

At this point the only thing that could save the current DCU is Marvel losing their minds and proposing a crossover movie.

And I'm pretty sure the brilliant minds running the DCU would turn that down as well.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
At this point the only thing that could save the current DCU is Marvel losing their minds and proposing a crossover movie.

And I'm pretty sure the brilliant minds running the DCU would turn that down as well.
Unfortunately I agree, DCU looks like a lost cause at this point.

Toreko

Apr 3, 2018
People love to hate Ben Affleck. I don't think he was the best Batman but he wasn't all that bad, it's just that the DC movies stink period - the actors are all quite good.
2sOCImb

2xUiyvG

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
People love to hate Ben Affleck. I don't think he was the best Batman but he wasn't all that bad, it's just that the DC movies stink period - the actors are all quite good.
2sOCImb

2xUiyvG
I would say with the exception of Henry Cavil who is as wooden as it gets.

Affleck was actually decent but the way they wrote his character for Batman V Superman (especially coming off of Nolan/Bales potrayal of Batman) was just stupid. This also makes me wonder if the people who unfairly critcized TDKR have changed their opinion at all over the last few years. Nolan's Batman trilogy was some of the best comic book film making ever in my opinion.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
For some reason I thought he was already out, probably because he is 45-years-old which seems a little long in the tooth for that role.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
DC movies really couldn't be more of a mess than they are right now. I wish they could get things together and make quality movies.
Its pretty difficult to screw up Batman and Superman.....but they have done an epic job of doing just that with the last few movies. MCU turned Iron Man into a superstar and DCU is killing Batman and Superman.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For some reason I thought he was already out, probably because he is 45-years-old which seems a little long in the tooth for that role.

I started this thread over a year ago and it had taken that long for them to start to get their act together

different sites are saying different things but most agree that there is problems in the pre-production of the movie.
Believe it or not--it was already supposed to be filmed and out--the original plan was for the movie to start production before Justice League but then it got changed to after Justice league finished production and then got pushed to after aquaman but before WW 1984--but as we now know-WW 1984 is now in production.

Afleck has spent a lot of time in the tabloids for being in and out of rehab and I think the problem and concern in will he be able to put up with the shoot

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I mean, how the hell did DC f*** up this badly. They had heroes that were/are far more famous and popular than any of Marvel's. They had money and the ability to put pen to screen. They had some extremely good stories that are almost unrivaled in the Comicverse, and yet, they f***ed it all up.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
I mean, how the hell did DC **** up this badly. They had heroes that were/are far more famous and popular than any of Marvel's. They had money and the ability to put pen to screen. They had some extremely good stories that are almost unrivaled in the Comicverse, and yet, they ****ed it all up.
Filmmaking by committee, mostly, coupled with poor hiring decisions. Also, studio heads with massive egos that can't let someone competent take the reigns and run with it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I mean, how the hell did DC **** up this badly. They had heroes that were/are far more famous and popular than any of Marvel's. They had money and the ability to put pen to screen. They had some extremely good stories that are almost unrivaled in the Comicverse, and yet, they ****ed it all up.

One studio put Jon Favreau and Joss Whedon in charge to chart the early course of their product and the other put in Zach Snyder. Personally, I think they should just "start over" and do single stories for these guys. There doesn't need to be some massive, over-arching thing for me to care. Just put out good stand alone movies with good people at the helm.

Considering how this thing has fallen apart, maybe it will push them to do something actually fun and put interesting people in charge.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I couldnt agree more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad