Movies: Ben Affleck out of the Batman role

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I'm always down for a good Batman flick.

He just seems too weirdly out of his depth in the cosmic DC universe, especially after the relatively grounded Nolan movies worked so well. Forget the tie-ins and universe-building. Just leave Batman alone in his Batworld, focus on a good story, and I'll give the new movie a chance.

Not that I have much faith in DC's creative direction or casting recently.
They should have given it to Kevin Smith and let him run with it from every angle possible.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I don't think I'd trust Smith with a big project these days.
These studios keep giving these massive franchises to directors and producers who refuse to follow canon and want their own vision and scoff at the fanbase for daring to criticize the final product. Kevin Smith knows the DC universe inside and out and he could get the best out of a script. The fact that in the past 27 years you have had just three directors make solid DC movie says a lot about the quality of talent out there behind the camera that just don't get it.

Tim Burton
Nolan
Patty Jenkins

They all get it, Kevin Smith get's it. How many movies in between them have come and gone and are so God awful they are that no one want's to see them ever again.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I have to agree with you. I was all in on Idris Elba as James Bond, and if he were to become Batman I would be all in on that too. The man can do no wrong in any role. I can't get behind Creed Jr. as the Dark Knight.

But you're perfectly alright with Elba, 46, as Bond for 10-12 years? Or as a supposedly younger Batman in The Batman, again at the age of 46?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
These studios keep giving these massive franchises to directors and producers who refuse to follow canon and want their own vision and scoff at the fanbase for daring to criticize the final product. Kevin Smith knows the DC universe inside and out and he could get the best out of a script. The fact that in the past 27 years you have had just three directors make solid DC movie says a lot about the quality of talent out there behind the camera that just don't get it.

Tim Burton
Nolan
Patty Jenkins

They all get it, Kevin Smith get's it. How many movies in between them have come and gone and are so God awful they are that no one want's to see them ever again.

Kevin Smith seems content with directing the occasional Supergirl or The Flash episode for CW. But since he knows both DC and Marvel, I wouldn't object if Marvel Studios hired him for a movie. I think he's even joked about it, like telling Feige it's okay to call him.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
But you're perfectly alright with Elba, 46, as Bond for 10-12 years? Or as a supposedly younger Batman in The Batman, again at the age of 46?

He could do 2 Bond Films in 5 years. How old is Daniel Craig now? 50? In regards to Batman I guess it would depend on what version of Batman DC was going for. Affleck is 46 and was ready to do the next one.

I kind of think DC needs to cool it with Batman for a while and run with something else. They are killing him slowly.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He could do 2 Bond Films in 5 years. How old is Daniel Craig now? 50? In regards to Batman I guess it would depend on what version of Batman DC was going for. Affleck is 46 and was ready to do the next one.

I kind of think DC needs to cool it with Batman for a while and run with something else. They are killing him slowly.

Craig's already said the physical demands for the role are so great that it's one of the reasons he's leaving the role. Batman is different in the sense that it could basically be a stuntman in a suit.

The studio wants a long term Bond, not another Timothy Dalton.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Craig's already said the physical demands for the role are so great that it's one of the reasons he's leaving the role. Batman is different in the sense that it could basically be a stuntman in a suit.

I dont disagree with any of that.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Nolan's batman trilogy was the best batman we have gotten and likely the best we will ever have. Unfortunately his type of direction and tone in his movies wouldnt translate well into a DCMU.

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
They should have given it to Kevin Smith and let him run with it from every angle possible.

There is absolutely no way Kevin Smith could handle a Batman film. I'm well aware he is a huge fan but nothing he has done makes me think he would be a good choice. I don't want Batman and The Joker exchanging quippy monologues with one another.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Dalton could've been a long-term Bond if it hadn't been for the studio. Before the third movie with him could be made, they and the production company got into a 4-year lawsuit. By the time that they were ready to make GoldenEye, 5 years had passed and Dalton decided not to return. I can't blame him. Without that lawsuit, we would've gotten a third Dalton Bond in 1991, maybe a fourth in 1993 and maybe a fifth (GoldenEye) in 1995 (since that was back when they were still churning out one every other year). That would've been a good run, behind only Moore and Connery in number of films.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
There is absolutely no way Kevin Smith could handle a Batman film. I'm well aware he is a huge fan but nothing he has done makes me think he would be a good choice. I don't want Batman and The Joker exchanging quippy monologues with one another.

Kevin Smith's directed several episodes of the DC shows on CW and the characters have never done those. He knows and respects the characters (Marvel or DC), doing something out of character is something he would never do. You're equating the guy who directed Clerks or Mallrats with the guy who has directed several DC shows for CW and written several comic books for Marvel and DC. He's comic book nerd would not turn these characters into characters from his non-comicbook work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad