Movies: Ben Affleck out of the Batman role

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
When it came out that he had "dropped" out directing the next Batman movie--several gossip sites stated that he was no longer interested in doing the role again.

now some of the main stream media is reporting

Original he had complete control over the movie--writing, directing and producing it

he is now just starting in it and this may not be sitting well with him. His "Live by night" movie has reportedly suffered a 75mill loss and the suits and tie guys are concerned about him being able to direct and star at the same time. Also, his script was not what they expected

http://screenrant.com/batman-ben-affleck-leaving-role/
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/02/14/ben-affleck-quitting-batman/
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...irector-no-more-the-dark-knight-a7580116.html

most media is using the youtube Collider as the source-For those who do not know about collider it has been correct a lot previously for inside stuff and nearly all the people involved have worked for years in the media

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
6865bd_1444258.jpg

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The guy on Collider also mentioned he was wrong the last couple times he tried to break a scoop, so take it with a grain of salt.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true given how DC seems to lose a director every couple of months, which just reeks of the studio meddling too much in creative control.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This confirms my bias against Affleck, that he's full of himself and a crybaby. He's probably just threatening this (i.e. bluffing) in order to wrestle back some control (if not director, then producer status and a say in the script). He probably doesn't have the guts to walk away from this role, which I suspect is a dream role for him.

Reactions: Iron Mosher

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
DC movies really couldn't be more of a mess than they are right now. I wish they could get things together and make quality movies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Isn't he getting a little old for this nonsense.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He is a control freak when it comes to these things, i'm not shocked he wants out if he has 0 say in any of it.

I also wonder if being able to write/direct a Batman movie wasn't part of the incentive to get him to take the role. If that's now being taken away, I'd be kind of pissed too.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Didn't Harley Quinn kill Robin in this universe? I don't remember much from Suicide Squad but I think that was a thing.

Nothing has been confirmed yet but we saw Robin's suit of armor with what appears to be Joker's writings all over it.

Of course, it all depends on which Robin that is (likely Jason Todd), as there have been several. You could still bring in Tim Drake.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
IF

and a big IF Affleck abandons The Batman - which I still don't think he will do. I nominate Rupert Friend as the next Batman. He can come in as another fairly unknown actor with credentials like Christian Bale did and has shown in the TV series Homeland that he can carry a role, be a total badass - and he already has the voice for it, even without the voice changer Bat-cowl.

And Casey Affleck as Robin is a great idea, as the older Dick Grayson/Nightwing Robin. When people shot the idea down I don't think they understand there are three of them, and only one died at the hands of Joker. Only thing with this matchup is age, Rupert Friend and Casey Affleck, Friend has to be younger than him in real life which wouldn't work.

But a Assassination of Jesse James style Casey Affleck being an older Nightwing/ Robin in that universe is ****ing gold - Nalens Oga.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I think it's completely the opposite scenario. That this comic book stuff is dragging down his career and he knows it. Marvel actors have admitted they do it for the quick paycheck. He probably doesn't want to be defined by it, especially a hopeless franchise like DC.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
IF

and a big IF Affleck abandons The Batman - which I still don't think he will do. I nominate Rupert Friend as the next Batman. He can come in as another fairly unknown actor with credentials like Christian Bale did and has shown in the TV series Homeland that he can carry a role, be a total badass - and he already has the voice for it, even without the voice changer Bat-cowl.

And Casey Affleck as Robin is a great idea, as the older Dick Grayson/Nightwing Robin. When people shot the idea down I don't think they understand there are three of them, and only one died at the hands of Joker. Only thing with this matchup is age, Rupert Friend and Casey Affleck, Friend has to be younger than him in real life which wouldn't work.

But a Assassination of Jesse James style Casey Affleck being an older Nightwing/ Robin in that universe is ****ing gold - Nalens Oga.

it is interesting that Peter Friend is also reportedly up for Doctor who

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The DC Movie Universe is a mess for several reasons.

1)It's too bleak and forcing characters to be edgy and compete with Marvel

2) It confuses people because the TV shows also known as the Arrowverse are already established, successful, mostly well done, and have loyal fanbases. And those series also have several different universes. To the average Tom, Dick, and Harry who doesn't have time it will cause a lost of interest. It'd be much easier if those actors (Grant Gustin, Stephen Amell, Melissa Benoist, Tyler Hoechin, etc.) eventually did movies as one offs or when their series ended like Star Trek TNG did.

3)People can't get over Ben Afleck as Ben Afleck, no matter how hard he tries, he's Ben Alfeck playing Batman/Bruce Wayne. Adam West, Michael Keaton, and Christian Bale were all successful, but Batman propelled them to superstars, not the other way around. And yes Keaton did Beetlejuice before but he was wearing makeup.

DC should just pull the plug, wait a few years, and reboot the entire movie universe similar to what Marvel did with Spiderman.

The only movie that will really save them is doing a very R-rated funny version of Lobo which for some reason they're scared to make.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think it's completely the opposite scenario. That this comic book stuff is dragging down his career and he knows it. Marvel actors have admitted they do it for the quick paycheck. He probably doesn't want to be defined by it, especially a hopeless franchise like DC.

Then why would he have taken the role in the first place...? You don't take the role of one of the most famous superheros in one of the most hyped superhero movies if you're worried about comic book stuff "dragging down your career".

As the OP points out, Affleck's own non-superhero career ventures took a major hit with Live by Night being such an expensive flop.

I agree with Osprey, it's probably a ploy to wrestle back some creative control. And the studios, of course, are using Live by Night as a reason to take away some of that control. Jockeying for better position from both sides.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Affleck's career as an actor is hit or miss. He has much more critical acclaim as a director. I'm sure serving in that capacity was a key factor in his involvement and so pulling the plug has made him sour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad